Frost gigs June 2016!!!

Started by lyn, October 08, 2015, 02:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owen

I was even more unsociable I'm afraid. I miscalculated the M6 roadworks and Kiama's opening time: I only caught the last 3 songs :( :( What I heard was good though. By the time I'd  pratted about, back to the car, etc, and got back Jem walked onstage. And I don't know if there was a meet and greet after, I decided I'd better head back.

The boys were fab though. Loved it (and it had never sunk how good Nath is). Only complaint: if Springsteen can do 3hrs why can't Jem?! No seriously, just ace. I thought the new songs worked really well, too

Mooncat

There was a meet & greet of sorts - Blunders & JM  were out and about reasonably shortly after the set. Managed to catch a quick chat with Blunders who said he was still suffering a bit (no that it showed).
Jem was packing away his gear and was chatting to people from the stage.
I left shortly after that as I'd got an early start today  ::)
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

tigermoth

Well as it turned out we were running a little late, so we only nipped in Woody's to ... "freshen up". But what a spectacular show. The first bonus was Kiama. For some reason I was sure that they wouldn't be there that night and it was going to be a couple of less than sensible chaps with appropriate head gear. But I was stood there having a prefrost pint and I heard a voice saying, "Hi we're Kiama!". Ah, lovely. :)
Then Frost themselves were just wondreful, as I told Jem afterwards. I had to remind him of the significance of Wondreful. Lol.
The band were so tight with all the incredible soul and technique we've come to expect. The highlight for me was the 30 minute closing section. Fantastic that they could pull that off. Only slightly ruined by the couple of chaps with pretruberences in their foreheads who insisted on carrying on their chat through out the quiet and poignant Last Day. But we must rise abuv such things. :) All I say is, if they're on this forum, they know what they did, but we'll try to forgive them.
My only gripe is a predictable one. No Million Town. I know they get sick of playing it, ... but come oooooooonnn!! :) Ah well.
But it was all fabtastic.
I got to finally say hello to Jem, and I think one of the highlights was that John recognised me. Lol. Also managed to say hi to Mr Blundell but sadly missed Mr King.
Finally, great to bump in to a couple of Frost*ies. :) Altogether, a brilliant night and one for the old memmory banks. :)

JakeWorrell

So!

My lovely girlfriend Jen and I frequented both the Wath and Bilston gigs this weekend. We travelled up to Wath on Saturday, checked into the Rotherham Holiday Inn and then headed to the Wetherspoons' just down the road for the venue for a quick bite to eat before the gig. We visited Meadowhall in Sheffield on the Sunday before making our way to Bilston for the second gig and a McDonalds.

Kiama were great with some excellent musicianship and a pretty big and tight sound ever all. There was a girl singing with them whose name is not mentioned on the band's list of members but I really felt she added a certain something to the sound so I wonder if she might become a permanent fixture.

Frost* were, of course, excellent. It was great to hear some of the new songs performed live and the band seemed to be having a blast on stage. There were some good laughs and the gages were not exactly the same between shows. Now, I'm not sure whether there is a problem with my ears or the position we were stood, but I did find it difficult to feel what was going on in 'The Raging...', I wondered if it was perhaps a difficult song to translate to live from a 'front of house' point of view as it's very bass heavy. The choruses felt fine, it was just the verses that I couldn't fully appreciate. It was also a shame not to hear a bit more from Experiments... but I understand the reasoning. They can't play everything!

It was nice to bump into Tim/Mouse (Who hasn't posted here since 2013, it seems), Fogey, and meet the infamous Rob Rideout. We bought even more T-shirts from Nellie (who appeared to be following us around) and I swapped my defective Vinyl for a new one. We also chatted to some nice people in the queue at Bilston but I wasn't sure of their names despite recognising them from Wath and possibly even some earlier gigs also.

It's great to experience the big F* back in action, long may it continue

Just Bristol (on a boat!) to look forward to next month now :D
"The longer the note, the more dread."

Mordwin

Quote from: JakeWorrell on June 20, 2016, 05:04:35 PM

As long as they rename it Frostie McFrostface for the occasion... :D

lyn

I know what the maze is for now! It is a map of how to escape from the Ladies Loo at Bilston....which is labyrinthine!
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

Mikey

Quote from: D S on June 19, 2016, 03:46:12 PM
t because of the joy on the faces, especially Nathan on the 1st one.  :)

We were bang in front of Nathan at Wath and the joy was preceded by some serious gurning which made the smile even better
I used to have a signature

MikeEvs

There was a girl singing with them whose name is not mentioned on the band's list of members but I really felt she added a certain something to the sound so I wonder if she might become a permanent fixture.

Her name is Tesni Jones, names don't get much more Welsh than that  ;D

JakeWorrell

Quote from: MikeEvs on June 20, 2016, 09:11:39 PM
Her name is Tesni Jones, names don't get much more Welsh than that  ;D

Tesnee Jo-ens?

I've never even heard the name Tesni before!

owen

Given Name TESNI
USAGE: Welsh
Meaning & History
Means "warmth from the sun" in Welsh.

www.behindthename.com

What Jones means, I've no idea

PS setlists can be found here: http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=tour:%28Falling+Satellites+Tour%29&artist=5bd6b3e4

JakeWorrell

Quote from: owen on June 21, 2016, 12:07:05 AM
Means "warmth from the sun" in Welsh.

Quote from: Last Day by popular beat combo who go by the name of Frost*
The air is warming up again
The summer sounds are like old friends
I feel the sunlight through the trees

Can't be a coincidence. I suggest we deploy tin-foil hats immediately.

D S

Quote from: Mikey on June 20, 2016, 08:56:07 PM
We were bang in front of Nathan at Wath and the joy was preceded by some serious gurning which made the smile even better
Watching the challenge of bass lines to songs like Hyperventilate and Heartstrings close up, I think the odd bit of gurning was quite understandable.  :o
Come on, you\'re a lion!

sawtooth

Quote from: D S on June 21, 2016, 07:28:34 AM
Quote from: Mikey on June 20, 2016, 08:56:07 PM
Watching the challenge of bass lines to songs like Hyperventilate and Heartstrings close up, I think the odd bit of gurning was quite understandable.  :o

Also pretty special to see Nathan doing all the synth bass bits throughout on 'Raging' too on his little keyboard - including all the widdly pitch bend bits. I never realised he was such an accomplished keys player.

rogerg

Quote from: Mordwin on June 20, 2016, 06:25:37 PM

As long as they rename it Frostie McFrostface for the occasion... :D

heh

D S

Quote from: sawtooth on June 21, 2016, 10:54:16 AM
Also pretty special to see Nathan doing all the synth bass bits throughout on 'Raging' too on his little keyboard - including all the widdly pitch bend bits. I never realised he was such an accomplished keys player.
Indeed.  And he plays guitar in Level 42 - sheesh!  :o
Come on, you\'re a lion!