KIAMA Andy Edwards' return to prog!

Started by TBE, October 20, 2015, 03:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nellie

It's in the post!

Mooncat

OK, somewhat late review, but I was among the modest crowd (due to the size of the venue) for the live debut of Kiama last Saturday.
Despite a technical hitch to Rob's keyboard rig meaning a slight on the fly rearrangement of the set list, the band were awesome - TBE was he usual rock solid self, Dylan & Luke (previously unknown to me) were a revelation, Rob Reed was his usual calm, composed seld (even during the taforementioned technical problems) and the the live incarnation was topped up by Dan Nelson of Godsticks(also seen with Magenta on their last couple of tours) and Tesni Jones on backing vocals (a really great voice).

Bodes well for the future, really looking forward to other gigs, including the Frost* supports.
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

sawtooth

It all sounds rather stunning to me and I bet they were pretty damn formidable in a live situation!

tigermoth

Hehe! Sounds like it was a brilliant gig. :) I'm enjoying the album muchly. I think my favourite track has to be Muzzled. Fantastic dark vibe. :)

Pedro

Late replying to this.
Sorry to have missed you at the gig Mooncat.
Funny little place, sound wasn't the best, but when you have 6 foot stacks of PA speakers on the floor with people standing in front of them and every time the bands try to get the sound guy's attention he has to be nudged to tell him to look at the stage instead of nattering with his mate...well you get the picture...

Mooncat covered it all really, once the gremlins were banished they hit their stride and it really came together. I've been listening to the album for quite some time now so I know the material inside out and they really did it justice. Luke Machin is just so insanely talented.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mooncat

Damn, didn't realise you were there Pedders - would've been nice to catch up after such a while.
As you may have gathered, the studio itself is a local recording and rehearsal facility, with the 'venue' room usually used for local band showcases and also green screen filming for webcasts and the like - so not particularly well set up for a regular gig with a lot of people.
Really looking forward to seeing the band again, especially at the excellent Robin 2

Mikey

Quote from: Mooncat on March 04, 2016, 08:09:17 AM
Damn, didn't realise you were there Pedders
If you didn't see him he wasn't there. He's 9' 6"
I used to have a signature

rogerg

Mooncat

I did think that ::)

However the venue does have some dark corners where he may well have been lurking!!!

Mikey

Quote from: Mooncat on March 07, 2016, 10:03:16 AM
I did think that ::)

However the venue does have some dark corners where he may well have been lurking!!!
It's physically impossible for Pedders to Lurk  :) :) :) :)
I used to have a signature

Mooncat

Was present at the inaugural Panic Room weekend in Bilston this weekend   :D :D :D

A couple of Frost* t-shirts in attendance and a load of great bands, including a storming set last night by KIAMA.
Apparently this was only their second public performance, and fourth time playing together as a band and it was amazing. Particular highlight for me was 'Muzzled', which Dylan informed us was his attempt at writing something deliberately Pink Floyd-y.
A much improved sound and setting than the Stourbridge gig, but then that's really a given at the Robin. A great reaction for the crowd during the set and an impressive queue at their merch table directly afterwards as well, and a lot of people trying to get stuff signed and congratulate them.

So get down to the Frost* gigs early to see what all the fuss is about.

owen

Any idea what time it usually starts?

Mooncat

I would envisage working backwards-ish Frost* would be on from about 9-9.30 with the Kiama on at about 8-ish for 45 minutes ???
A lot will depend on stage turnaround - i.e. if there are two drum kits to accommodate, plus keyboard rigs, guitar amps and the like it'll take longer than a shared kit set up