The Pros and Cons of Songs Which are Long...

Started by RobRideout, December 14, 2015, 12:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owen

I know, but as a fan I often feel short changed. I like to hear a whole piece, unless it's a really obvious "song": Still by Yes for instance

D S

Come on, you\'re a lion!

owen

RobRideout

We've passed the hour mark, and it's looking like it's going for a little longer. Still got to incorporate the intro and outro, and we're on 70 minutes already. I'm predicting 1:15:00 ish. Feels pretty good.

JakeWorrell

Quote from: RobRideout on January 18, 2016, 01:54:01 PM
We've passed the hour mark, and it's looking like it's going for a little longer. Still got to incorporate the intro and outro, and we're on 70 minutes already. I'm predicting 1:15:00 ish. Feels pretty good.

Yikes! Looking forward to hearing it!
"The longer the note, the more dread."

rogerg

owen

What's the maximum that you can squeeze onto a single CD?

D S

Come on, you\'re a lion!

JakeWorrell

"The longer the note, the more dread."

tigermoth

Oops, not been on here for a few weeks. Glad to hear it's coming along so well. Regarding playing live, and the point about Dream Theatre ... theater, I really hope this album will do well and be a break from what seems to have become their norm. If they're playing the whole thing from start to end that's great in one way, but in another it seems a tad self indulgent, or perhaps I should say that from a fan's point of view it's perhaps not the ideal concert. I wasn't around at the time, but I've read that Genesis had problems when they decided to play the Lamb from start to finish on their final Gabriel tour. Don't get me wrong, in a way it must have been fantastic and it's certainly wonderful to listen back to all those years later. But for the fans who wanted to hear old favourites as well as new stuff it must have been a bit of a kick in the nads. I mean, if they wanted to hear the whole album, they had the whole album to hear at their leasure in their own homes. That's the point of an album. Lol But I guess I'm digressing somewhat from the point. :)

RobRideout

Yeah, I've thought a lot about if we were to play it live, but I think a few sections from this album and maybe from Worlds Apart could be played as bits. I remember seeing Magenta do bits of The Ballad of Samuel Layne years ago and it's stuck with me as a brilliant idea. Although I would love to hear the whole song live :P

And yeah, we actually finished the writing at 83 minutes, and did a bit of googling and decided to cut it down to about 78 to fit on a CD. I feel like technology is holding us back. Also managed to break the program we were writing it on because it couldn't handle all the MIDI. Poor thing. But Reaper is dealing with it just fine at the moment :)

We've got it cut down to 8 10 minute chunks for editing's sake, so it's nice and easy to work with too, and the drummer is starting to work his wonderful magic on it. Many excitements.

owen

rogerg

Drarok

gr8gonzo

How about "live only"? When anyone wants to hear it, you have to go to where they are and play it for them. There's your new music business model.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around