Yes live at Colston Hall

Started by MikeEvs, May 05, 2016, 10:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeEvs

owen

Never mind that. What we want to know is how much you enjoyed it!  ;)  Great photos, especially Mr Howe, BTW  8)

MikeEvs

I was working, I was concentrating on my job.  We were only allowed to shoot for the first song.  Ok it was Machine Messiah so I had enough time.  Colston Hall was all seated so there's no photo pit. Which means we can't shoot from in front only from the sides or from the back of the first blocks of seats and if you want to swap sides you have to go around the long way you can't walk in front of the first row of seats.

Once the first song was over, I left.  Headed to train station had a 20minute wait so I looked at my photos and rated them in camera.  I got to Cardiff and had a 45minute wait for my next train so I went for a pint.  I got home at 11:30.  Imported my photos into Lightroom which reads the ratings I gave the photos in camera and so I can organise lightroom to only show me those photos (32 photos in total).  I then apply a 16x9 crop (the website requires the photos at 800x450) and other generic adjustments ( clarity and noise reduction) to all those photos.  Then I check each photo individually and do further adjustments if needed.  After that I exported the photos at 800x450 and checked them.  I deleted a couple either because I didn't like it (there was one where the mic stand was out of focus in the middle of the frame and was distracting, other got deleted because they were too similar to ones I kept) .  So I sent around 25 photos to Robin who writes the review at 00:36 this morning.  I then went to bed and got up at 06:25 for my day job.

So how much did I enjoy Yes.  I didn't really see Yes.  I heard one song while I was moving around taking photos I didn't really take it in.

owen

MikeEvs

If you're on twitter you might have seen Yes tweet out the link to the review 5 times using a different photo my me each time.  They also followed me and Re-tweeted my link to the review and the photo I posted on instagram of my photo pass from last night

owen

Cool.  Great way of spreading your rep

Mikey

Quote from: MikeEvs on May 05, 2016, 04:02:02 PM
I was working, I was concentrating on my job.  We were only allowed to shoot for the first song.  Ok it was Machine Messiah so I had enough time.  Colston Hall was all seated so there's no photo pit. Which means we can't shoot from in front only from the sides or from the back of the first blocks of seats and if you want to swap sides you have to go around the long way you can't walk in front of the first row of seats.

Once the first song was over, I left.  Headed to train station had a 20minute wait so I looked at my photos and rated them in camera.  I got to Cardiff and had a 45minute wait for my next train so I went for a pint.  I got home at 11:30.  Imported my photos into Lightroom which reads the ratings I gave the photos in camera and so I can organise lightroom to only show me those photos (32 photos in total).  I then apply a 16x9 crop (the website requires the photos at 800x450) and other generic adjustments ( clarity and noise reduction) to all those photos.  Then I check each photo individually and do further adjustments if needed.  After that I exported the photos at 800x450 and checked them.  I deleted a couple either because I didn't like it (there was one where the mic stand was out of focus in the middle of the frame and was distracting, other got deleted because they were too similar to ones I kept) .  So I sent around 25 photos to Robin who writes the review at 00:36 this morning.  I then went to bed and got up at 06:25 for my day job.

So how much did I enjoy Yes.  I didn't really see Yes.  I heard one song while I was moving around taking photos I didn't really take it in.
That's a convoluted way of not upsetting TA  ;D ;D

.......& up to your usual standard, but we've come to expect that
I used to have a signature

owen

I spotted that!

Other thing in the article was that Steven Wilson is doing a remix/5.1 job on Tales. It's not for me I'm afraid, but he did a good job of Relayer: much clearer, you could hear what they were doing more: there's a needledrop to compare and both Squire and Moraz come out very well

Mikey

TA won't like it anyway, Geoff Downes is playing with them

D S

Great photos as ever Mike!  8)
And good review too - obviously exactly the same set as I saw in Glasgow.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: Mikey on May 05, 2016, 04:59:24 PM
TA won't like it anyway, Geoff Downes is playing with them

That is not and has never been my objection to NuYes.

Yes is not Yes without Anderson: his voice is unique and utterly integral to the soundscape of so very many of the classic songs.

A keyboard is a keyboard to some extent, and while the way that it's played is down to the musician, things can be reasonably impersonated. I'm sure that Downes is doing a decent job of impersonating Banks, Wakeman, Moraz, and Downes (!), as much as Sherwood is apparently playing the bass well like Squire.

But no-one, no-one can impersonate Anderson and indeed shouldn't. I have no doubt that Davison is a good vocalist, but he's not Anderson.

OK, one of the albums being played this time around is Drama and Anderson wasn't on that. But Davison isn't Horn either, so ...

I dunno: it's not entirely logical. After all, cover versions can be good, and in opera, different artists can bring different things to the roles.

But this is Yes, the band I have followed since 1975 or so, not a cover band. Those songs, those amazing songs, need that singer, that amazing singer, with his amazing voice.

D S

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on May 05, 2016, 11:15:38 PM
I'm sure that Downes is doing a decent job of impersonating Banks, Wakeman, Moraz, and Downes (!), as much as Sherwood is apparently playing the bass well like Squire.
Peter Banks was the guitarist so I guess you mean Tony Kaye. Unless you are referring to that strange comedy Yes / Genesis hybrid of Peter Kaye and Tony Banks...  ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: D S on May 06, 2016, 06:36:26 AM
Quote from: Trapezium Artist on May 05, 2016, 11:15:38 PM
I'm sure that Downes is doing a decent job of impersonating Banks, Wakeman, Moraz, and Downes (!), as much as Sherwood is apparently playing the bass well like Squire.
Peter Banks was the guitarist so I guess you mean Tony Kaye. Unless you are referring to that strange comedy Yes / Genesis hybrid of Peter Kaye and Tony Banks...  ;)

Bleagh ... you're right. And I shall resist the temptation to edit that post and make myself look less stupid.

Anyway, off to the UK now: will anyone pitch for my Lush ticket, I wonder?

Mikey

Former Yes members Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman confirm world tour, with album under production

Former Yes members Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman are working on an album, and they'll tour together for the first time since 1991, they've confirmed.

The trio, who last collaborated during the band's Union tour, say they want to "restore the standard of excellence" they set at the time, when the then-current Yes lineup merged with Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe.

The trio, working as Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman, will deliver a run of North American shows in October and November this year, followed by dates across the world, while songwriting continues on the untitled ARW studio project.

Singer Anderson says: "To be able to perform with Rick and Trevor at this time in my life is a treasure beyond words. I'm so excited to create new music and revisit some of the classic work we created many years ago, It's going to be a musical adventure."

Keyboardist Wakeman adds: "Trevor and I have wanted to play Yes music together since the Union tour. And for so many of us, there's no Yes music without Jon. The 'holy trinity of Yes' is, for me, very much a dream come true."

owen

So Steve Howe's Yes are doing a 50th anniversary tour, a best of plus sides 1 & 4 & a bit of 3 from Tales. Still not biting TA? ;)