Author Topic: Yes live at Colston Hall  (Read 1559 times)

Offline D S

• Cadbury's Boaster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wednesdaywithoutwoe
Re: Yes live at Colston Hall
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 05:05:07 PM »
I saw that too, checked the ticket prices, thought about it for 2 minutes and then thought nah, I'll leave it. But I also thought that someone else might be tempted...  ;)
(But probably not without JA)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Offline MikeEvs

• Iced Gem
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »
Geoff Dowens like my reply to Keith D who was complaining about no Cardiff gig to Geoff (who lives in Wales)

https://twitter.com/MikeEvstog/status/904991036707143681

Offline Trapezium Artist

• A Zoo full of Chocolate Animals
  • Ex astris ad astra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »
So Steve Howe's Yes are doing a 50th anniversary tour, a best of plus sides 1 & 4 & a bit of 3 from Tales. Still not biting TA? ;)

Hmmm, obviously I'd love to hear more than half of TFTO live, quite apart from everything else. And of course it wouldn't hurt me to go along and give them a chance, as well as going to see Anderson's Yes again, as I did in London earlier this year.

But Anderson's voice lies at the very heart of Yes for me: with all respect to all of the other brilliant musicians involved in both bands, his voice is simply irreplaceable. It seems as though others can pick up the various instruments and come almost imperceptibly close to emulating any chosen Yes configuration live, such as the classic (for me) Going for the One era band. (Indeed, I'd love to hear a good young cover band who could bring the same energy Yes brought to their live stage performances in the 1970s: much of the more recent live gigs tend to be more stately, ponderous.)

But trying to copy Anderson's voice is doomed, in the way that CGI characters fall into that uncanny valley of close, but creepily wrong. Davison's voice is like that for me.

That was the relevation of ARW; Anderson's voice still shines brilliantly. It made the evening completely.

Plus, and perhaps slightly less seriously, what is it with Steve's C. Everett Koop beard?!  :o