Main Menu

Happy Frost* Day!!

Started by gr8gonzo, May 27, 2016, 05:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owen

Bloody hell. I haven't. Oh well I know which I'd prefer

Mikey

Quote from: MikeEvs on May 27, 2016, 10:53:42 AM
Post man's just been and delivered new CD and t-shirt  :)
Ditto, though it was left outside.
Question is..........will it replace Red Bazar in the vehicular CD player?
I used to have a signature

lyn

Quote from: D S on May 27, 2016, 06:29:25 PM
CD, t-shirt and signed postcard in today's post!  8)  Thanks Nellie (& Royal Mail).
First listen coming up shortly.
I notice in the sleeve notes Jem thanks "the Mighty Frosties for unstinting years of love and support whatever the weather".  :)  Thank you Jem for providing us with the reason to be Frost*ies in the first place!

What he said...  And the other awesome original sounds arrived today too! Thank you!!! Reviews are good...  Tough audience here,  too!
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

gr8gonzo

Nothing in the post yet here, but I'm not complaining. Happy to wait for the shiny shiny. I even refuse to download it.  :)

#patienceisavirtue
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

rogerg

Yup. Didn't make it here, either, but I wasn't really expecting it to get here, just hoping.  I'm starting a three day weekend, and school is for the most part over, so we're going out for a nice steak tonight. and maybe some dancing. and very likely some beverages.

;D

lyn

K2's view... "This whole album is an experiment.  The Dubstep in Towerblock is really  interesting..." He is eligible for half price most places and has just grown big enough to need a full sized bike.  We had left him to listen while we went down the pub... to spend an hour or so discussing our first thoughts on hearing flng stlts.  Milk it,  Godfrey et al...
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

Trapezium Artist

Day Two in the European Continent Big Brother House, and the inhabitants are glum.

There is silence.

A deafening silence.

To cheer ourselves up, we shall dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHZR9SA5pOg

RobRideout

Holy god damn. I got this album yesterday in the post and had a little listening party to my fancy new vinyl with a couple of friends who I showed Frost* ages ago. It's just ludicrous. I think Towerblock is genuinely one of the best things I have ever heard.

Mikey

Do I detect the influence of Dr Vai on numbers?

owen

Dear TA/Rook/Gonzo/Rog any other poor sod who hasn't got it

Don't worry

It's worth the wait

And I really wouldn't bother with streaming, there's too much to miss for that nonsense. For instance I haven't even come across the Morse code

D S

OK, initial thoughts after about 3 listens to this monumental work, so I'm only just beginning to get my head around all that is going on.

There are some clear favourites already.  Numbers would be a belter of a show opener - v up-tempo.  Really reminds me of the Police's Synchronicity 1, in a good way.  Heartstrings was already a favourite but has been subtly reworked from the demo.  Closer to the Sun really builds and a huge smile came over my face when the unmistakable sound of Satch came in.  :) TRATDOTLBI7/8 has a lot in it and has Frost* stamped all over it. Nice Day For It... is, quite simply, the best thing which Jem has done since Milliontown as far as my taste buds are concerned - just pure audio bliss and features bits of Heartstrings reworked in a very Duke's Travels sort of way.  Mr Banks would be jealous.  British Wintertime starts beautifully (I'd love to know the back story to the lyrics...  ???) and builds Anathema-like to one of the biggest sounds I've ever heard, before calming down to a whisper at the end - stunning.

The others I'm still getting used to.  Lantern I knew already and I think I prefer the piano version but need to hear it a few more times.  Signs has JM taking the lead vocals so almost has a IB / Lonely Robot feel instead of Frost* but has a great PT / Muse guitar riff in the middle.  Lights Out has some nice expensive chords and I recall Jem posting it previously in its Clouda project form.  Towerblock is the one I'm struggling with.  The first 2 and a half minutes will never be my favourite bit of Frost* (sorry, all the dubstep Pro Tools trickery is very clever but leaves me cold  :-[).  I first listened to the album with headphones on pretty loud and I nearly crapped myself at the sound 12 seconds in - you are warned!  :o ;D

Overall, already this is a worthy addition to the Frost* canon.  No, it's not Milliontown or EIMA, nor should it be.  It is a genuine progression in terms of both songwriting and sounds.  Finally, I should add that Blunders and Nathan both played a blinder and are now fully integrated as part of the band as much as Jem and John.  Really looking forward to hearing new tracks live now!  8)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

D S

Quote from: Mikey on May 28, 2016, 11:56:05 AM
Do I detect the influence of Dr Vai on numbers?
Yes, I spotted that as well as the Police influence!  ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mikey

Quote from: D S on May 28, 2016, 01:23:29 PM
  No, it's not Milliontown or EIMA,
I think it's more of an experiment than experiments. Possibly too much variation, not that it's not good, but it doesn't quite seem to flow. Maybe it's the tracks we already know well, mixed with the newer ones. Doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it though 8)

JakeWorrell

I first listened to the album with headphones on pretty loud and I nearly crapped myself at the sound 12 seconds in - you are warned!

The same happened to me. 3 times!!! I thought someone had knocked on the door, or something had fallen over in the other room, or perhaps that I had been suddenly killed by my collapsing house (which would have been appropriate, now I think about it).

I like the background noises in Towerblock. I may have misinterpreted but it sounds like someone revisiting their old house/flat; "the noise" is closing the door as they arrive, then the light comes one. The reverb on Jem's lyrics sound like he is in a cold, empty room. All very evocative. Genius as always.
"The longer the note, the more dread."

JakeWorrell

Quote from: Mikey on May 28, 2016, 01:52:23 PM
  No, it's not Milliontown or EIMA,
I think it's more of an experiment than experiments. Possibly too much variation, not that it's not good, but it doesn't quite seem to flow. Maybe it's the tracks we already know well, mixed with the newer ones. Doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it though 8)

Don't forget that we're comparing the new album that's been out for a little over a day to 2 albums that we know intimately. We have had 8 to 10 years to get used to the flow of those albums, I honestly think that in a few months we'll think the flow is just right on FS.
"The longer the note, the more dread."