Falling Satellites Frost*ie review thread

Started by Jim Takacs, May 29, 2016, 02:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Takacs

There is just so much to take in here..  This album is in a whole different league. We are hearing a bands chemistry truly for the first time. This is Jem Godfreys best work to date with the Frost* name on it at the writing level! I also feel we as Frost*ies have seen Jems Vocals matured.  "Last Day" was incredible Vocally.. As was everything he Sang on this.  I always felt on Milliontown he was hiding behind effects.. Then it got more exposed with Dek with EIMA. NOT in any way a Critisism!  But hell, he's emotionally Belting on this, and God Damn I cried! Very emotional!  Blah blah. I could go on and critique every aspect, but why? I love it!  Obviously! Love to hear more reviews from True Fans once it sets in that, Holy Shit... A New Frost* album exists!!  This one is gonna take some time I think to ferment. Like a Fine Cider.. Overwhelmed! :D
::I Like Cheese::

mr_john

Here's mine. I basically say what you say, Jim, but in a bout a bajillion more words.

http://echoesanddust.com/2016/05/frost-falling-satellites/

Jim Takacs

Holy mother of God review!  Nailed it......  Couldn't agree more with every word!  It's funny you made a Shineback reference too... It's genetic man!
::I Like Cheese::

Drarok

I like it all a lot, but I feel like Signs belongs on an It Bites or Lonely Robot CD rather than a Frost* one.

Mikey

Quote from: Jim Takacs on May 29, 2016, 02:02:00 AM
There is just so much to take in here.  This one is gonna take some time I think to ferment. Like a Fine Cider.. Overwhelmed! :D
That was my point in the other thread
I used to have a signature

Pedro

I don't think Jem got any aspect of the album wrong.
Far from it.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

JakeWorrell

"The longer the note, the more dread."

rogerg

I succumbed and am listening on Spotify. 

O
M
G

so much <3.

huge. amazing. thank you to the Four Frost*men.

Nice Day For It is almost bringing me to tears. 

JakeWorrell

Quote from: rogerg on May 30, 2016, 04:30:53 PM
I succumbed and am listening on Spotify.
Don't blame you!

Quote from: rogerg on May 30, 2016, 04:30:53 PM
Nice Day For It is almost bringing me to tears.
Last Day does this for me (there are a lot of days in this album aren't there?)
"The longer the note, the more dread."

rogerg

Geetar

This space for sale.

rogerg

Mine arrived today (thanks, Nellie!) and I just can't get enough of it. I expect it will live in all my various players for many weeks, if not months.

Million town is my #1 desert island disc, but this could give it a run.  time will tell.

again, I can't thank Jem and the Four Frost*men enough.  this is the music of my brain/soul.

BrendanGee

Now that we're a week on from release I figured I'd give a few thoughts on the album. I'll try not to make this too long, sorry in advance if I do.

The album is fantastic. Writing is top notch, has the Frost* sound about it but also progresses that sound to new areas. Production is spot on, it's big but I don't think it ever gets overpowering.
I'm a sucker for motifs/themes that return in a different context so I get a big kick out of 'Nice Day for It' and 'Hypoventilate'.
Jem's vocals are incredible all over the album, really going for it in a way he hasn't really done before and getting some surprisingly high notes too as a result.
An initial favourite of mine has to be 'British Wintertime'. The instrumentation really does make me think "Winter" and the way the texture builds and then fades is sublime.

So yeah, in short, I really like it.  ;D
Bring on the Trumpets!

owen

Going back to what TA said on another thread it really does need as good a hifi as possible. I don't find Milliontown does anymore, probably because I know it so well that my brain fills in the bits my iPhone has ignored/fudged. To get the most out of this really does need kicking the kids out and listening. I agree with Brendan, love the recurrent motifs. I don't think, despite JM singing/writing that it sounds like an It Bites thing, I really like Towerblock, but it's the second half as a whole that I like most. It'll probably never "beat" Milliontown, but it's a run for it's money.  The musicianship is what we'd expect, but a lot of the time I'm not noticing, the songs are that good anyway.

I love the new BBT album too, which just shows how diverse "prog" is.

Favourite actual song is Lights Out, I think

leelustig

Quote from: BrendanGee on June 03, 2016, 11:17:08 AM
Now that we're a week on from release I figured I'd give a few thoughts on the album. I'll try not to make this too long, sorry in advance if I do.

The album is fantastic. Writing is top notch, has the Frost* sound about it but also progresses that sound to new areas. Production is spot on, it's big but I don't think it ever gets overpowering.
I'm a sucker for motifs/themes that return in a different context so I get a big kick out of 'Nice Day for It' and 'Hypoventilate'.
Jem's vocals are incredible all over the album, really going for it in a way he hasn't really done before and getting some surprisingly high notes too as a result.
An initial favourite of mine has to be 'British Wintertime'. The instrumentation really does make me think "Winter" and the way the texture builds and then fades is sublime.

So yeah, in short, I really like it.  ;D
Your review sums it up nicely.

My favorite thing about the album is that it sounds exactly like Frost but also manages to introduce A LOT of new textures as well. Songs like 'Lights Out', 'Closer to the Sun' and 'Lantern' show a more refined pop sound than we've previously heard from Frost, where on the other side of the coin, the 'Heartstrings - Last Day medley' show a more refined prog rock sound that seems like it puts most of the Inside Out catalog to shame.

Some people might think songs like 'Lights Out' veer too far from the Frost sound but I think the opposite. This track makes me want to cuddle up in a comfortable dimly lit bedroom somewhere in the cold, green English landscape. That's Frost* to the core.

I think it's very possible that this album does beat Milliontown only because it has everything Milliontown has, and then more. I don't think I will ever recover from the distance which I have been blown away by this album. It was a big blow.
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere