Falling Satellites Frost*ie review thread

Started by Jim Takacs, May 29, 2016, 02:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeWorrell

Quote from: leelustig on June 03, 2016, 06:06:21 PM
Some people might think songs like 'Lights Out' veer too far from the Frost sound but I think the opposite. This track makes me want to cuddle up in a comfortable dimly lit bedroom somewhere in the cold, green English landscape. That's Frost* to the core.

Yes now this is interesting because a few of us heard a demo of Lights Out when it was part of Jem's solo project Clouda. When I realised it was going to be included on FS I was curious as to how it would feel as part of a Frost* album. Now, there it is - slap-bang in the middle of an excellent Frost* album and it fits far more perfectly that I could have possibly imagined.

"The longer the note, the more dread."

leelustig

Quote from: JakeWorrell on June 03, 2016, 08:42:48 PM
Quote from: leelustig on June 03, 2016, 06:06:21 PM
Some people might think songs like 'Lights Out' veer too far from the Frost sound but I think the opposite. This track makes me want to cuddle up in a comfortable dimly lit bedroom somewhere in the cold, green English landscape. That's Frost* to the core.

Yes now this is interesting because a few of us heard a demo of Lights Out when it was part of Jem's solo project Clouda. When I realised it was going to be included on FS I was curious as to how it would feel as part of a Frost* album. Now, there it is - slap-bang in the middle of an excellent Frost* album and it fits far more perfectly that I could have possibly imagined.
Oh wow, I didn't even realize it was previously released.

Does anybody have any info on why 'Fathers' didn't make it on the album? Did a search on these forums but couldn't find any recent discussions about it.
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

mr_john

Quote from: Jim Takacs on May 29, 2016, 06:39:12 PM
Holy mother of God review!  Nailed it......  Couldn't agree more with every word!  It's funny you made a Shineback reference too... It's genetic man!

Thank you! The floodgates kinda opened when I sat down to write it. All spurred on by 'Last Day'. Something in that song just clicked with me, hit the right emotional button and it kinda influenced the rest of the album for me.

Yeah I had to throw a nod to Shineback in there. Firstly because there are moments on FS that evoked that project and secondly because more people need to check it out!!

The Godfreys are surely an unbelievably talented brood!

johninblack

Quote from: leelustig on June 04, 2016, 01:32:48 AM

Oh wow, I didn't even realize it was previously released.

Does anybody have any info on why 'Fathers' didn't make it on the album?

I'm pretty sure Jem said that it just didn't fit with the other tracks and that it would likely turn up later on an EP along with some other tunes.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

BrendanGee

Interestingly enough though, the vocals in 'First Day' are a variation of lines that appear in 'Fathers'.
Bring on the Trumpets!

owen

Jem's very green. He recycles as much as he can

leelustig

Quote from: BrendanGee on June 04, 2016, 06:59:37 PM
Interestingly enough though, the vocals in 'First Day' are a variation of lines that appear in 'Fathers'.
Yes, and I believe they also appear towards the end of 'Nice Day For It.'
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

tigermoth

I can't believe it's taken me this long to get round to adding my two pennorth.
I probably can't say anything that hasn't been said already. I love it. I listened three times in a row, realising it was a fab album from the first listen and wanting to get it in to my consciousness.
THe first listen floored me especially as it built to the end sequence. One thing I should say is that because I work at Progzilla Radio I was privilaged to get a promo digital version before the album came out, but it didn't include the two bonus tracks, so it ends on Last Day, which I personally think is how it should end. I know you don't have to listen to bonus tracks, but I always feel it kind of slightly kills the ambience of the end of an album, if the album then in effect starts again. :)
Because of this I haven't actually put the CD in my player yet. Lol. I want to hear the other tracks, but the end of the album is so bloody powerfull I almost don't need to hear any more. Wow. The first time I heard it I did have a bit of dampness in the old peepers. I guess knowing the theme of the album made it so much more poignant.
Like most people I have at one point or another got a bit morbid about death and coming to the end of life, and of course I've lost loved ones, so I find it a fasinating yet very sad and evocative concept. That whole end sequence is just amazing. Raging Against the thingybob is an outstanding piece of Jemness, and Nice Day For It is almost like a second Hyperventilate.
Then Hypoventilate I found to be extremely beautiful and a bit disturbing with the slowing heartbeat effect and the eary reoccurring theme from Heartstrings. I must say, I knew damn well it was going to do that kind of big wooshy thing and then cut off at the end of Hypo, but it stil got me when it happened. :)
Then Last Day is so poignant, and as has already been mentioned by others the vocal is so good. Ending with that last cord and the birds singing. Perfect, just perfect.
I like the rest of the album just as much. The songs are brilliantly written and produced of course. All the guys have really pulled it out of the bag. :)
I'm reading on other forums a lot of "What's that bit in Tower Block all about" type stuff. Not quite sure what the fuss is about there. It's just a wierd techy bit which sounds cool to me.
Quite funny though. The first time I heard the opening section with that big clonk in it, it was around midnight and very quiet. I don't know how Jem did it, but I had headphones on and it sounded just like it was something clonking in the bedroom a couple of meters away. I jumped, shouted "Shit!" and woke my wife up to ask her what the noise was. She wasn't impressed. Lol
All in all, it is stunning. It's right up there with Million Town for me.
Well well well done chaps and I'm looking forward to Bilston even more now.

Mikey

Quote from: tigermoth on June 06, 2016, 10:41:42 PM
The first time I heard the opening section with that big clonk in it, it was around midnight and very quiet. I don't know how Jem did it, but I had headphones on and it sounded just like it was something clonking in the bedroom a couple of meters away.
I have it on very loud in the van, and I still can't get used to the clonk
I used to have a signature

BrendanGee

I got tricked by it while standing in a bus shelter last week
Bring on the Trumpets!

lyn

Not the clonk but a chunk of Towerblock kicked in on the car stereo while I was waiting for the lights to change this afternoon and a bloke on the way into the Co-op opposite me jumped!  :o
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

rogerg

I still turn around overtime it "clonks". ;D

Dr.Ripper

I only just got the album a couple days ago since I live in Texas. In my excitement I just couldn't wait (I banned myself from listening to it on spotify until I obtained the CD), and threw the CD into the car and listened to it on my way to work. I listened as intently as I could while watching the world around me flood, literally. And there was just so much going on that I couldn't get into it. Especially TIOWEOTIHSDOIFN in 7/8ths. I was disappointed. I listened to the whole album that way. Couldn't find a groove, felt like there were too many slow bits, and just too much noise.

BUT THEN I finally got some time at home to just sit and listen to it on my nice audio set-up (HD650s, Schiit modi2/magni2uber) and oh my goodness was I ever mistaken. What a great album! So many details, even more so than EIMA. There literally isn't a bad song on the album. It's so fresh and modern and just what I expected Frost* to put out. I love it. It's very vocal heavy, which is different for me but I still like it. Both Jem and JM have perfect voices for this album and they harmonized all the lines really well. The writing is top notch; there's no cheese to be found. So far I really love Lights out and Heartstrings. I can see myself listening to this album MANY times in the future; all that noise isn't just noise, it's passion and love and fun and little details that make you rewind 5 seconds to listen to a gliss or an effect again.

In short, exceeded expectations, and now because of Frost* I've bought a synth. I don't even know how to play the keyboard. Thanks a lot.  :-[

EDIT: and yes the clonk on Towerblock scared the shit out of me Especially on my headphones. I thought someone was trying to break in  :o
whut

Mikey

Quote from: Mikey on June 07, 2016, 03:36:13 PM
Quote from: tigermoth on June 06, 2016, 10:41:42 PM
The first time I heard the opening section with that big clonk in it, it was around midnight and very quiet. I don't know how Jem did it, but I had headphones on and it sounded just like it was something clonking in the bedroom a couple of meters away.
I have it on very loud in the van, and I still can't get used to the clonk
& the ice-cream van  ???
I used to have a signature

Big Black Shed

It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.