Steve Vai, ABC Glasgow 1/6/16

Started by Ivor, June 02, 2016, 07:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivor

Anyone else at the gig last night? It was good, but spoiled by a way over-loud or overloaded front-of-house PA. I did spot one or two Falling Satellites T-shirts in there. :)

D S

Yup, I was there - but not in a FS t-shirt! I spotted them too and wondered if they were Frost*ies.
Very enjoyable gig. He hit me with 2 of my favourites straight off. Good to be the first to ever hear Passion and Warfare in its entirety. Loved the use of video (no spoilers!) - cleverly done. Sound was on the loud side but I was standing beside the sound desk and it was OK from there, perhaps not surprisingly.
I can't think of another gig where I've heard more notes played though - less is more is not a philosophy embraced by Mr Vai!  ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mikey

Quote from: D S on June 02, 2016, 07:40:54 AM
less is more is not a philosophy embraced by Mr Vai!  ;)
It's not in his dictionary.  8)
I used to have a signature

MikeEvs

I'll be at the Bristol gig next Tuesday.

Photo pass was confirmed this morning, I'm just a little bit exited!!!!

24th October 2005 I photographed my first concert a certain Mr Vai at Manchester academy.

Have never managed to photograph since, I had a photo pass for Hammersmith Apollo in 2007 but didn't use it because I would have had to leave after photographing the first 3 songs to put my camera's in my friends car which was parked 10mins away which would have meant probably missing a couple of songs at least so I decided to just enjoy the gig. After the gig got to go to the after show meet and greet and Steve signed one of my photos from the 2005 gig.

2013 he played St David's Hall in Cardiff by this time he'd changed management and I didn't have the contact I'd previously had.  Tried emailing his new management in the US but they never replied.  After thinking I'd be able to get a pass I didn't buy a ticket and it sold out so I didn't even see the gig.  Only the 2nd time he's played in Wales and I didn't see it.  Found later from another photographer who had shot the gig that he got his access through Orchard entertainment the promoter  for the gig, they follow me on twitter DOH!

Cut to this tour and Bristol247 who I've been shooting gigs for want a review and photo pass for Vai's show in Bristol.  They are unable to find out who represents him in the UK and the venue aren't much help.  Luckily by now I've done a few jobs for Classic Rock so I sent an email to my contact there and he replied back with an email address for Vai's UK representative who finally confirmed this morning that I have a photo pass ;D ;D ;D

D S

Try and get shoots of the video duets if you can - 4 in total across the night. Quite unique.  8)
Hope you get to stay for the whole gig this time though! (And even better, get to shoot the lot.)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

MikeEvs

Quote from: D S on June 02, 2016, 08:54:32 PM
Try and get shoots of the video duets if you can - 4 in total across the night. Quite unique.  8)
Hope you get to stay for the whole gig this time though! (And even better, get to shoot the lot.)

Usually only get to photograph the first 3 songs, so probably can't get shots of the video duets.  Past experience of Bristol Academy is they give you complimentary ticket along with your photo pass but even when they haven't they've never kicked me or any other photographer out so it's usually best not break the rules and try taking photos from the crowd after you've been in the pit.  That usually doesn't go down well.