JM on Closer to the Sun

Started by D S, June 22, 2016, 07:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D S

Just in case you missed this on the main website.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uVBt0nRQQ
Lovely sounds. Spoke to JM after the Edinburgh gig and complimented him getting the Satch solo spot on but he was quite modest about it, saying it really wasn't that difficult. However, as this shows, he clearly put a lot of work into getting it all sounding right.  8)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: D S on June 22, 2016, 07:47:17 AM
Just in case you missed this on the main website.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uVBt0nRQQ
Lovely sounds. Spoke to JM after the Edinburgh gig and complimented him getting the Satch solo spot on but he was quite modest about it, saying it really wasn't that difficult. However, as this shows, he clearly put a lot of work into getting it all sounding right.  8)

Beautiful bit of paraphrasing there, DS: I wouldn't quite characterise JM's words on the difficulty (or not) of Satriani's solo as "modesty"  ;)

D S

Come on, you\'re a lion!

JakeWorrell

I don't know what John said, but I would agree that it's a very simple solo. I expected way more notes from Satch, but I think it is very effective the way that it is. Simple and tasteful.
"The longer the note, the more dread."

Mordwin

Quote from: JakeWorrell on June 22, 2016, 03:27:24 PM
I don't know what John said, but I would agree that it's a very simple solo. I expected way more notes from Satch, but I think it is very effective the way that it is. Simple and tasteful.

Which is why I prefer Satch to many of the other shredders out there... he can go from a torrent of notes to restrained and back, and knows when less is more... usually :D

JakeWorrell

Quote from: Mordwin on June 22, 2016, 06:54:11 PM
Which is why I prefer Satch to many of the other shredders out there... he can go from a torrent of notes to restrained and back, and knows when less is more... usually :D

I'm not overly familiar with Joseph Satchel's work, but that instantly makes me more interested in delving into to some of his music.

Interestingly I think the same could also be said of JM's solos!

D S

If you do want to explore, Jake, go for Surfing With Alien, Not of This Earth, Flying in A Blue Dream and The Extremist, pretty much in that order too.  I have faithfully bought every album he's ever done and seen him live lots of times but, if I'm brutally honest, it is a case of the law of diminishing returns with his later releases I'm afraid.  That said, I rather enjoyed Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards - Jem played keyboards for a few dates on that tour (although Mike Keneally played on the album).
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mordwin

Of the later material, I'm quite fond of Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock too :)

JakeWorrell

Thanks guys, I'll check them out as soon as I can work out how to get Falling Satellites out of my CD player!

Mikey

Quote from: D S on June 22, 2016, 08:04:52 PM
If you do want to explore, Jake, go for Surfing With Alien, Not of This Earth, Flying in A Blue Dream and The Extremist, pretty much in that order too.  I have faithfully bought every album he's ever done and seen him live lots of times but, if I'm brutally honest, it is a case of the law of diminishing returns with his later releases I'm afraid.  That said, I rather enjoyed Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards - Jem played keyboards for a few dates on that tour (although Mike Keneally played on the album).
I'd agree with that, start with the early stuff & work through in order. I find Joe a bit more consistent than Steve Vai, though Steve is a better showman live.
I used to have a signature

Brom

Quote from: Mikey on June 23, 2016, 12:34:48 PM
Quote from: D S on June 22, 2016, 08:04:52 PM
I'd agree with that, start with the early stuff & work through in order. I find Joe a bit more consistent than Steve Vai, though Steve is a better showman live.

Ditto! What they said!

Saw him on a G3 gig in Brum a few years ago with Robert Fripp*, quite definitely the best guitar tone I've ever heard live!

*Who I didn't see as he sat at the back of the stage out of sight!!
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Mikey

Was that the tour where Robert Fripp sat on a chair behind a load of gizmo's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey

Sorry, just worked out your *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D S

The G3 with Satch, Vai and Fripp was bizarre - I saw it in Glasgow.  It opened with Fripp's solo set but all he did was create one of his electronic soundscapes (with him just sitting there) - a lot of people who'd come to hear shredding just went to the bar.  :-[  Then when the 3 of them played together at the end, Fripp took a guitar solo on Satch's Ice 9 and totally out-shredded Vai and Satch!  :o 
Come on, you\'re a lion!

BrendanGee

Fripp is a bit of an enigma wrapped in a conundrum at the best of times.
That being said I'm a huge fan of King Crimson
Bring on the Trumpets!