Main Menu

EIMA vocals

Started by RoeDent89, July 05, 2016, 10:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoeDent89

Very obvious newbie question alert.

What's the lead vocal situation with the Experiments in Mass Appeal album? The CD booklet that I have features no lyrics or credits at all, so who does what lead vocals on that album?

JakeWorrell

The lead vocals on EIMA are provided by the "radiant" Dec Burke.

Lyrics can be found here, as it happens:

https://www.drarok.com/frost/files/view/Experiments%20in%20Mass%20Appeal
"The longer the note, the more dread."

JimD

Mostly Dec Burke, but you can hear JM and JG on there too for sure. Esp. in Welcome To Nowhere. Though one thing I always like about Frost* was that everything just sounds appropriate and right, and that the voices are instrumental in that regard (i.e. like an instrument rather than "I'm the singer so I'm doing the singing").
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

Mordwin

Well worth checking out Mr Burkes work with Darwin's Radio (Eyes Of The World and especially Template for a Generation - 3 songs on 1 album, must be prog :D), his solo material (Destroy all Monsters and Paradigms and Storylines), and the more recent Audioplatik album (In the Head of a Maniac - similar to his solo work but with a metal edge).

gr8gonzo

Quote from: RoeDent89 on July 05, 2016, 10:26:23 PM
Very obvious newbie question alert.

What's the lead vocal situation with the Experiments in Mass Appeal album? The CD booklet that I have features no lyrics or credits at all, so who does what lead vocals on that album?

I took a stab at breaking it down at the time. Jem graciously provided more details...

Quote from: gr8gonzo on March 21, 2009, 01:12:45 PM
Revised, then, we have:

EIMA
Jem - verses
Dec - choruses

Welcome To Nowhere
Jem - verses
JM - verses
Dec - choruses

Pocket Sun
Dec - verses and chorus harmonies
Jem - chorus harmonies

Saline
Dec - verses and choruses
Jem - verse harmonies

Dear Dead Days
Jem - verses/verse harmonies, bridge #2
Dec - verses/verse harmonies
JM - bridge #1
Dec - chorus

Falling Down
Dec - verses
All - bridges and choruses
JM - "unsatisfied" #1
Jem - "unsatisfied" #2 & #3

You/I
Jem

Toys
Dec

Wonderland
Dec - "hero" verses / choruses
Jem - verses and choruses

Secret Song (aka Remember Me)
Dec
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

RoeDent89

Interesting. And thank you for the replies. To me, Jem and Dec have similar singing voices, and purely on the sound (and not being too familiar with it yet), I get them mixed up. Much like I used to confuse Fish with Peter Gabriel or even Phil Collins from time to time.

JimD

JM can be heard on "Map Of The Past" and "The Tall Ships" by It Bites and on "Picture" by Kino as he's the lead vocalist on all three; a listen to any of them should help you pick him out of the mix in EIMA (if you want that of course). I think he has a slightly deeper voice than JG, whilst Dec can really hit the high notes (c.f. the "Hero" choruses in Wonderland). There is no Dec on "Milliontown" (but there is some deffo some JM on Black Light Machine and possibly elsewhere).
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

tigermoth

As a rule of thumb, if you can sing along with it, it's Jem Or John. If you have to crush your unmentionables in a clamp to get the notes it's probably Dek. :) I'm beeing silly of course, but Dek has the higher and possibly more intense voice.
When I first heard EIMA, I was a bit put off by Dek beeing there. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a fab voice, but it threw me at first that it wasn't all Jem like on Million Town. But the two voices compliment each other, and I think this works to best effect on the Philadelphia Experiment. Fantastic.
Also, I'm very partial to Audioplastik. :)