Main Menu

Portland/Cambridge

Started by keith, August 01, 2016, 09:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D S

Quote from: owen on August 02, 2016, 08:10:10 AM
Going back to Bilston, I hadn't been there before and was really surprised at how good it was. Good view, good sound, plenty of folk, beer decent and not too expensive. Sorry to hear Cambridge wasn't great but live and learn?
Yes, ditto those comments for the Edinburgh gig back in June.  It was a good venue, filled with an enthusiastic crowd and just about right in terms of capacity - any larger would have changed the intimate atmosphere but any smaller would have been a health & safety risk and a missed opportunity!  ;)
I was very grateful that the band was willing to make the journey all the way up to Scotland, for only the 2nd time ever and for the first time as a headliner.  I hope they all enjoyed the tour, even if the last venue was on the tight side, and that we'll get the chance to see them on tour again next year.  8)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

For what it's worth, both the Edinburgh and London gigs this time around were spot on in terms of both intimacy and ability to see, hear, move, and hey, even dance a bit (sorry to anyone who had to witness that, but ... ;)

And while the Peel gigs (you've played there twice at least, Jem, no?) were absolutely stowed to the rafters, hot, sweaty, and a bit pressy, I wouldn't have missed them for the world, treasuring them as some of the very best gigs I've ever been to. So I think it's all about context: yes, if I had to travel on a train like that every day, I'd be mighty pissed off, but this is Frost* we're talking about here, playing a live gig in front of a hugely enthusiastic crowd of fans.

Indeed, I think what makes a big difference as well from other bands in these smaller venues is that Frost*ies are a lovely, lovely bunch, and so there's minimal pushing, shoving, blocking, yakking rudely, and whatever: things can be awful in such tight spaces, but not with Frost*.

Thinking ahead to next year's European tour, my local, the Boerderij in Zoetermeer, is quite a bit bigger, but even when the space is full, the prog audiences there tend to be pretty respectful too. So, you should all come to that gig and enjoy it, albeit keeping in mind that you might want to bring a box to stand on: it'll be like a room full of Pedros  8)

And to finish on a similar note to Lyn, I found myself coming out of the London gig thinking how amazing it is to be able to see Frost* again, how remarkable they are as a band in so many ways, and how lucky we are to have the chance to commune as a bunch of fans with them in a room, enjoying some wondreful (sorry) music and each other's company.

But also slightly wistful because, I'm afraid to say, this too will pass. Hopefully not soon at all, but one day it will, and we'll all look back and think how glad we were to have been there.

Thanks again Jem, John, Craig, and Nathan: I think you know you can count on our support  :)

MikeEvs

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on August 02, 2016, 03:33:29 PM
And while the Peel gigs (you've played there twice at least, Jem, no?)

At least 4 times

Nellie

Something to take into consideration as far as the capacity of venues is concerned and a point that the venue quite rudely pointed out. They sell out the 200 capacity on a regular basis but their normal audience is not prog, who as we know are generally rather larger than the average sizing.
If I look at t-shirt sizes, a 2XL is 4 times as much fabric as a small at least.
Here is my reply to an email received today.......

The capacity for The venue is set by the council at 212 people. We sold 195 tickets and had a few people as guests of the band. I was informed by the venue that some people didn't turn up on the night so in fact it was under capacity and so there were no breaches of regulations. Demand dictates that Frost* will indeed require a bigger venue next time but this particular venue is purpose built for live music, it is not someone's front room.

There was plenty of space by the bar and we had opened the stairs for people to stand if they couldn't see. An announcement was made for people to shuffle in a bit to make room for those who were waiting to come in, which they did, and we ensured that no-one was left outside.

It's in the post!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: Nellie on August 02, 2016, 06:17:26 PM
Something to take into consideration as far as the capacity of venues is concerned and a point that the venue quite rudely pointed out. They sell out the 200 capacity on a regular basis but their normal audience is not prog, who as we know are generally rather larger than the average sizing.
If I look at t-shirt sizes, a 2XL is 4 times as much fabric as a small at least.
Here is my reply to an email received today.......

The capacity for The venue is set by the council at 212 people. We sold 195 tickets and had a few people as guests of the band. I was informed by the venue that some people didn't turn up on the night so in fact it was under capacity and so there were no breaches of regulations. Demand dictates that Frost* will indeed require a bigger venue next time but this particular venue is purpose built for live music, it is not someone's front room.

There was plenty of space by the bar and we had opened the stairs for people to stand if they couldn't see. An announcement was made for people to shuffle in a bit to make room for those who were waiting to come in, which they did, and we ensured that no-one was left outside.

Right, you lot: compulsory diets and exercise before the next gigs! Ten kilos off each, at least!

For those of you who come to the Boerderij gig in spring, we'll be renting bikes and taking the 70km route via the Hook of Holland.

L33VEY

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on August 02, 2016, 07:14:50 PM
Right, you lot: compulsory diets and exercise before the next gigs! Ten kilos off each, at least!

For those of you who come to the Boerderij gig in spring, we'll be renting bikes and taking the 70km route via the Hook of Holland.

I was looking forward to a lie in with all the standing that I'll be doing!   :o
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

DueyC

Quote from: L33VEY on August 02, 2016, 08:34:01 PM
Quote from: Trapezium Artist on August 02, 2016, 07:14:50 PM

I was looking forward to a lie in with all the standing that I'll be doing!   :o

I don't think you'd better lose 10kg. You'll disappear if you turn sideways!
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

JimD

Quote from: Trapezium Artist
And while the Peel gigs (you've played there twice at least, Jem, no?) were absolutely stowed to the rafters, hot, sweaty, and a bit pressy, I wouldn't have missed them for the world, treasuring them as some of the very best gigs I've ever been to.

I only went to one (the Santa mask one), but yeah, it was marvellous and I am glad I did it and more importantly that the band did it too.
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

owen

Aye, think about poor Rog, Gonzo, Rook, Manon, etc who would give lots to be crushed and sweaty

rogerg

Quote from: owen on August 03, 2016, 02:05:26 PM
Aye, think about poor Rog, Gonzo, Rook, Manon, etc who would give lots to be crushed and sweaty

Indeed! ;D

Mikey

Quote from: lyn on August 01, 2016, 10:55:11 PM
We're not going to get into a tizzy.  It is time wasted in pointless debacle and is now history. Thank you for the Falling Satellites tour!   Make more amazing music,  please.  I declare the debate closed.  Sorry.  All the kinetic energy is about the new future...
Wordington's.

Come back to Wath or the Picturedrome
I used to have a signature

gr8gonzo

Quote from: owen on August 03, 2016, 02:05:26 PM

I would give lots to be crushed and sweaty. No band required! Er, uh...  ::)
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

gr8gonzo

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on August 02, 2016, 03:33:29 PMa room full of Pedros

Always wondered what the plural term would be.  ;)
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: gr8gonzo on August 03, 2016, 10:36:00 PM
Quote from: Trapezium Artist on August 02, 2016, 03:33:29 PMa room full of Pedros

Always wondered what the plural term would be.  ;)

A range of Pedros (as in mountains).

A peel of Pedros (as in filling a well-known prog venue).

An awesome of Pedros (self-explanatory).

owen