Latest Prog magazine

Started by D S, September 26, 2016, 08:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D S

The latest Prog magazine arrived today. There was a photo of Jem at the Prog awards. The page before has an interview with Dec. And who is that being interviewed on the next page, surrounded by Frost* CDs and, of course, Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans, amongst others? Oh, that'll be TA / MT!  ;D
And this very forum gets a name check!
Many congrats TA (you did tell me in Edinburgh that this was coming but I'd forgotten until now).
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: D S on September 26, 2016, 08:16:15 PM
The latest Prog magazine arrived today. There was a photo of Jem at the Prog awards. The page before has an interview with Dec. And who is that being interviewed on the next page, surrounded by Frost* CDs and, of course, Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans, amongst others? Oh, that'll be TA / MT!  ;D
And this very forum gets a name check!
Many congrats TA (you did tell me in Edinburgh that this was coming but I'd forgotten until now).

You know more than me: haven't seen the article myself yet, although the picture I have, thanks to Nellie tweeting :-)

Choosing the albums was interesting: CD's were fairly easy, but for LP's, I couldn't find my main box (have moved too many times and don't play them anymore), so was sort of left with some also-rans.

But thanks to the magic of (cough) photoshoppery (sorry, Prog), some were transmogrified into more representative albums. I leave you to work out which  ;)

But was fun doing the photoshoot on Mars (with our local photog), and the interview with Jo Kendall over a very long breakfast near Angel was fun. Slightly embarrassing though that a good deal of our conversation was about music that could only tangentially be described as prog  ::)

tigermoth

Fab stuff. :) I stil can't believe that the Frost album wasn't nominated in Prog Mag's album of the year category. Mind you, in hinesight I know where Frost went wrong. They should have set the release date for the album for a fortnight after the nominations were announced. They'd definitely have got in then. Te he

manoncharles

Congratulations :p Can't wait to read it !!!
A fairytale in negative

RoeDent89

Quote from: tigermoth on September 27, 2016, 09:15:20 PM
Fab stuff. :) I stil can't believe that the Frost album wasn't nominated in Prog Mag's album of the year category. Mind you, in hinesight I know where Frost went wrong. They should have set the release date for the album for a fortnight after the nominations were announced. They'd definitely have got in then. Te he

Please tell me this is a subtle dig at Prog for nominating Anderson/Stolt in that category, despite the album not even being released at that point.

RacingHippo

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on September 27, 2016, 06:02:16 PM
Slightly embarrassing though that a good deal of our conversation was about music that could only tangentially be described as prog  ::)
Not at all embarrasing.
Prog itself is such a mix of styles and tastes; if you claim you only like prog and nothing else, you're robbing yourself of a lot of music you'd love.
And if Prog Mag doesn't recognise that, it's to their embarrasment, not yours!
* May contain nuts.

Mordwin

Quote from: RacingHippo on October 17, 2016, 01:09:16 PM

I'm sure they get it... judging by the letters pages, some of their readers... maybe less so ;)

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: Mordwin on October 17, 2016, 06:27:36 PM

I'm sure they get it... judging by the letters pages, some of their readers... maybe less so ;)

Well, I know several folk there by now and am pretty sure they get it. I certainly know that Jo Kendall, who did the interview, has very wide musical tastes and was just as happy discussing Lush and CHVRCHES as the more obviously prog stuff. That said, the interview could necessarily only capture part of the three-hour long conversation, and it's possible that there's more emphasis on the non-prog just because I came up with better stories about it :-)

Then again, as RH says, you'd be a pretty dull person if your musical tastes were limited by any single musical genre and, if anything, one would hope that prog fans would be the most open minded, given the ethos of experimentation and exploration. OK, there are some kinds of music I loathe with a passion, but any slight claim I might have on eclecticism would be more to do with a breadth of tastes than deeply obscure stuff in any given genre.

FWIW, a programme I always loved listening to when I lived in the UK was "Late Junction" on Radio 3. Some brilliant stuff there which led me down unexpected avenues more than once. Certainly not every track, but again, it was the breadth that mattered. I really should start downloading it and listening while cycling ... given the long intervals between episodes of The European Perspective these days ;-)

manoncharles

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on September 27, 2016, 06:02:16 PM
Slightly embarrassing though that a good deal of our conversation was about music that could only tangentially be described as prog  ::)
Not at all embarrasing.
Prog itself is such a mix of styles and tastes; if you claim you only like prog and nothing else, you're robbing yourself of a lot of music you'd love.
I know that was ages ago but I feel, about prog music, that it's a special genre compared to most others. People who listen to prog are mostly music lovers. And prog seems to be a great (and sometimes odd) combination of different music styles. That's why we love it! I don't know anyone "only" listening to prog, and I guess that's even more true in a Frost* fanbase :)
A fairytale in negative