Prog on the BBC - 2nd Jan BBC4

Started by GaryC, December 16, 2008, 09:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catherine

Bert

:-)

Actually, I didn't get the "fur stool round her neck" bit. Can you translate ?
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

catherine

It was a fur stole - a sort of scarf thing.
She was very fond of her fur stool, and threatened to leave it to me in her will. Not sure what happened to it - it's almost 20 years since she died and I've managed to avoid it so far.

johninblack

Quote from: "Bert"Hello. I kind of had it trained out of me as my parents seemed embarrassed by the accent, although I never understood why. I love the Norfolk (and Norwich) accents. There's a whole rich phraseology attached to it too and as such it's a real rich regional dialect. It is probably possible for two native speakers to speak such that no one from somewhere else in the country would have a clue what they were speaking about.

When I was at school, I used to spend my holidays working on a farm, and by the end of the summer, in particular, I would have a thick Norfolk accent and a a load of phrases that no one else knew the meaning of.

In the company of good-old Norfolk boys, I do slip back into it very easily.

Wow! And there was me thinking this was a band forum ! :-)

So for the record, I grew up (and have just returned to actually) just south of Norwich and went to school in Wymondham. Them City schools were too scary !!

Did you mean......
Quote from: "Burt"halloo. OI kind f had tha' trained ou' f me bairn uz moi parents seemed embarrassed by thur accen', although OI navver understood why. OI love thur norfook (and norridge) accents. There's a whole rich phraseology attached to tha' anarl and bairn uz such it's a real rich regional dialec'. tha' is probablie possible for two nair'av speakers to speak such tha noo one from somewhere alss in thur country would hev a clue waa thay were speakin' abou'.

When OI woos a' school, OI used to spend moi holidays workin' on a farm, and by thur end f thur summer, in particular, OI would hev a thick norfook accen' and a a lood f phrases tha noo one alss knew thur meanin' f.

In thur company f good-old norfook boys, OI do slip back into tha' very easilie.

Wow! And there woos me thinkin' this woos a band forum ! :-)

So for thur record, OI grew up (and hev jist retoorned to actuallie) jist south f norridge and wen' to school in Wymondham. Them City schools were anarl scary !!
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

RacingHippo

Note to Philadelphia: You thought the Yorkshire dialect was incomprehensible.....
* May contain nuts.

Bert

Quote from: "johninblack,

Did you mean......
[quote="Burt"
halloo. OI kind f had tha' trained ou' f me bairn uz moi parents seemed embarrassed by thur accen', although OI navver understood why. OI love thur norfook (and norridge) accents. There's a whole rich phraseology attached to tha' anarl and bairn uz such it's a real rich regional dialec'. tha' is probablie possible for two nair'av speakers to speak such tha noo one from somewhere alss in thur country would hev a clue waa thay were speakin' abou'.

When OI woos a' school, OI used to spend moi holidays workin' on a farm, and by thur end f thur summer, in particular, OI would hev a thick norfook accen' and a a lood f phrases tha noo one alss knew thur meanin' f.

In thur company f good-old norfook boys, OI do slip back into tha' very easilie.

Wow! And there woos me thinkin' this woos a band forum ! :-)

So for thur record, OI grew up (and hev jist retoorned to actuallie) jist south f norridge and wen' to school in Wymondham. Them City schools were anarl scary !!
[/quote]

LOL  JiB, that's f*****g genius !  :D
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Hemispherical Walter

All my designs simplified
And all of my plans compromised
All of my dreams sacrificed

Bert

Quote from: "Hemispherical Walter"Nice little Norfolk accent page on Wikipedia:

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_dialect

Cool HW, thanks !
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Bert

I think we could mount an East Anglian (past/present) coup of this board !
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

johninblack

Quote from: "Bert"I think we could mount an East Anglian (past/present) coup of this board !
There nothing wrong with honoring ones ancestry, history, culture, dialect. They are all good references whilst taking your own life forward. After all, those gone before made us and our country what it is today...........Bastards
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Hemispherical Walter

Quote from: "johninblack"
Quote from: "Bert"I think we could mount an East Anglian (past/present) coup of this board !
There nothing wrong with honoring ones ancestry, history, culture, dialect. They are all good references whilst taking your own life forward. After all, those gone before made us and our country what it is today...........Bastards
The inbreeding might be a barrier; I mean, it's not to Fen standards (they all have six toes on their left hands) but we might get accused of nepotism!
All my designs simplified
And all of my plans compromised
All of my dreams sacrificed

Lerxst

Well I just watched it and imagine my surprise how sh*t it was.....

Bert

Quote from: "Lerxst"Well I just watched it and imagine my surprise how sh*t it was.....

I did too, and it was exactly as I thought it would be.

The shock for me was the statement that Thick as a Brick was considered to be THE definitive prog album. It's not even the definitive Tull album FFS !!

Grrrr...

I promised myself I wouldn't get angry, but...  :twisted:
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

RacingHippo

That's a relief.
I completely forgot it was Friday yesterday and spent most of the evening being thrashed by Mrs Hippo at Wii-tennis/golf/whatever.
* May contain nuts.

TBE

'brick' was written to take the mick put of prog.
I didn't bother watching it. 'progressive' is a term that does no one any favours.
A band like yes are seen as a bit of a joke where as led zep are seen as close to god.
Zep have had their proggy moments but never got the prog tag.
Most music critics know jack IMO.