Main Menu

Pro Tools 8.0

Started by EVP, December 18, 2008, 05:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokkie

Quote from: "EVP"WARNING FOR MAC USERS

Be careful when upgrading to 10.5.6. I installed it by the combo update as is often suggested
by Digi and now PT Mpowered 8.0cs1 will not launch. I've done all trashing prefs and databases
and all that blah blah and pro tools no starty for me. It was fine when I was on 10.5.5.

I should have known better and this was the first time having this sort of problem for me.
I ran with it and Logic still runs rock solid but I guess I took it for granted. I may try
uninstalling and putting PT 8.0 back in or maybe try going back to PT 7.4.2,that is if
that version will even work.

Thankfully I don't have any major projects going in PT so no harm done.

*EDIT* This may also have something to do with the recent update to Quicktime
released over the weekend,but I'm not sure.
I couldn't get the monitor function on my sound card(m-audio) to work under 10.5.6. So i downgraded to 10.5.5.
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

EVP

So how does one downgrade to 10.5.5? Please tell me it doesn't involve a complete
re-formatting and re-installing everything......

EVP

**UPDATE** Attention Jem and fellow Mac users!

I am happy to report that after doing a complete uninstall of everything last night
I decided to try re-installing PT 8.0 about 15 minutes ago and though I still have to
re-install all my 3rd party plugins, PT 8.0 works again now.

This rules out 10.5.6 being the culprit in itself.  It could still be any of a few more things
though,so I'll report back if something comes up and I figure it out.

Pedro

I'd have a Mac set-up in a heart-beat if I had the dosh....but is it safe to say that the days of Macs "just working" are gone now?
There seems to be a lot more talk of uninstalling everything and crashes and lock-ups these days.... :?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

EVP

I think as a whole Mac's still are solid,but I can't speak for everybody. It only appears
to be a select few companies having issues in the audio world from my perspective.
Pro tools has always been the tricky one and even then, if you download the full
OSX updater directly from apple instead of using the built in/automatic software update
Pro Tools will play nicely with the others. Native Instruments seem to be having
issues with some of their plugins in Pro tools running under Leopard.

For me I mainly use Logic and everything has been 100% rock solid for me since
moving to Leopard in September,and that includes 3rd party plugins. But of course
Logic IS Apples child so it's no wonder. This was the first time I've had any problems
with PT since being on a Mac(going on 3 years come June)and it's a new vX.0
release so there's bound to be a snag or two. Now it's working again.

But we all do know what Jem went through last summer so sometimes it doesn't
go quite so smoothly for some folks.

I guess anyone reading this should install PT 8.0 AFTER upgrading to 10.5.6

I'm still checking stuff but so far it's alright ;)

rogerg

yeah, installing the Combo updater can sometimes fix things, and really, Apple can't be blamed when their upgrade breaks a third-party program, as much as we wish there would never be problems.

Mickdoo22

I am currently running 7.4 on my Mac G5 2.0 with 4 gig of RAM and a Digi 002 with relatively few issues.  I typically find a version that works for me and stick with it......TRYING to ignore the lure of each new version.   But I am feeling like there may be enough reason with this latest version to take the plunge, but I am nervous.   Can anyone tell me other than just updating to PT 8.0, what other steps should I take to make the conversion as seamless as possible?  Like most on here...I have gone down the upgrade from hell path and it is something I absolutely can't afford to do that again.

Bokkie

Quote from: "EVP"So how does one downgrade to 10.5.5? Please tell me it doesn't involve a complete
re-formatting and re-installing everything......

yep :(

johninblack

Quote from: "rogerg"Apple can't be blamed when their upgrade breaks a third-party program

Why not? All us pc uses curse Bill Gates daily weather it's his fault or not. :mrgreen:
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Bokkie

Quote from: "johninblack"
Quote from: "rogerg"Apple can't be blamed when their upgrade breaks a third-party program

Why not? All us pc uses curse Bill Gates daily weather it's his fault or not. :mrgreen:

Heh...finally  a moral incorrect reply :D
After many forum discussions about  apples and windows and trying to reply correctly, it's nice to hear another tone.
Let's bash all computers, just for the fun of it and because it's possible  :)

eviani

You know, I upgrade to PT8 a month ago and I'm still not sure what my final feelings are for it.  I really enjoy the plugins and the interface but some part of it (especially start up) are just super sluggish for me compared to 7.4.

I'm sure I'll get over it.

Buuuuuuuuut - installation went pretty smooth on my PC.  I have yet to try installing it on my macbook pro, but I have no reason to seeing as how I'm not traveling any time soon.  For now the Korg nanoKEY and Garageband suit my purposes.  I don't want to have to run between 2 floors to swap the usb lock from my desktop to the laptop whenever I want to use a different system.

So if it's any consolation to you Jem, I personally didn't have any upgrade issues but it does make sense to wait a while and let some updates be done on the system and see how people feel working with it.  I just got impatient.

EVP

What I do know I don't like now is that even though the control panel is customizable
they increased the size of everything and now the whole thing takes up too much space
on my 13.5 inch Macbook screen.

I wish they would  add in the option to change the size of the panel objects
to make it more friendly on laptop screens.

OH BTW for those of us who have factory bundles Digi is offering an upgrade
to v8.0. For a small upgrade cost of $30 USD owners of the Factory Pro
collection can now get some extra goodies. If you have an earlier version
of them registered, Digi is sending out emails to everyone.

EVP

Quote from: "eviani"For now the Korg nanoKEY and Garageband suit my purposes.

I have the Nano Pad and I'm having a friggin ball with it!! With the "roll" button I can
do some crazy speed metal double kick patterns. I don;t even care about doing
proper drum parts with it at the moment,all I want to do is my own drum solo's  :evil:

eviani

Quote from: "EVP"
Quote from: "eviani"For now the Korg nanoKEY and Garageband suit my purposes.

I have the Nano Pad and I'm having a friggin ball with it!! With the "roll" button I can
do some crazy speed metal double kick patterns. I don;t even care about doing
proper drum parts with it at the moment,all I want to do is my own drum solo's  :evil:

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about getting the nanoPAD as well at some point in the next couple of months.  I have the M-Audio Trigger Finger which I use to put scratch drums down, but I want the nanoPAD for when I travel as well since it's pretty tiny.  I need to get better at creating drum patterns on the pad.  I hear them in my head but have a tough time breaking down how to do it with my fingers on the pads.

BTW, I totally get what you mean with the size of PT8.  I used to have two monitors up at school with 7.4 and it was great, everything fit but I had to downsize when I got home from school because I didn't have the space.  I have a 19" LCD and I was noticing the other day how much "bigger" everything looks.  It's certainly time for an upgrade in monitor at some point in the future, just not now.  I'm really enjoying PT8 but I'm keeping my 7.4 copies handy in case I decide I need to downgrade because it's not working out for me.  I can't imagine what it's like on a 13.5" screen tho...

EVP

Yeah I was tempted to buy a monitor when I was out the other day but I decided
I needed a new guitar more so. It's funny how long I've been doing stuff on this
screen for 2 1/2 years. I'll probably get at least a 20 inch,maybe a 22 of I can
arrange the space here.

I see there has been much discussion over at the DUC about the new GUI in PT 8.0.
The color scheme dosen't bother me too much but they got to at least have an option
for that control panel for laptop users. I think I'll march on over to the support page
and fill out the feedback form ;)