Lonely Robot at Space Rocks, London, 22 April 2018

Started by Trapezium Artist, February 06, 2018, 09:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezium Artist

You are definitely going to want to be there: our first ESA Space Rocks event, at the indigo at The O2 in London, 22 April, has just been announced.

Mixing space, science, film, culture, and music, for kids, families, and the occasional grown-up to boot, with Tim Peake, Matt Taylor, Maggie Lieu, Beth Healey, Dallas Campbell, Alastair Reynolds, and your own favourite TA/MT, with more to be announced, and, of course, in the evening, a gig with Charlotte Hatherley (ex-Ash) and Lonely Robot.

Please come: it would make me so happy  8)

www.spacerocksofficial.com

rogerg

D S

Dammit!  Unfortunately I'm not able to make that date.  >:(  :(  Otherwise I'd have been there like a shot.
Just heard you promoting the event on Radio 4 too!  8)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: D S on February 08, 2018, 05:08:32 PM
Dammit!  Unfortunately I'm not able to make that date.  >:(  :(  Otherwise I'd have been there like a shot.
Just heard you promoting the event on Radio 4 too!  8)

Pity: you're right in our target demographic!  ;)

As for the Radio 4 plug, well, that was a bit cheeky, but the interviewer Gareth Mitchell did set me up a little  8)

D S

And again on Radio 4 yesterday, this time on the Today Programme.  They'll be giving you your own R4 series at this rate!  ;)
Was your 'tin can' comment a reference to Space Oddity by any chance?  8)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: D S on February 17, 2018, 11:05:23 AM
And again on Radio 4 yesterday, this time on the Today Programme.  They'll be giving you your own R4 series at this rate!  ;)
Was your 'tin can' comment a reference to Space Oddity by any chance?  8)

Indeed; well spotted, sir. I mean, for goodness' sake: it was at 06:54 in the morning. Who on earth gets up at that time??! It was all I could do to avoid nodding off after getting up at 05:30 to get hauled across Belfast in a cab and dumped in front of a microphone to burble about spacewalks ...

As for the tin can comment, entirely possible. After all, I filched half my material from the show Chris Hadfield had put on the night before at the SSE Arena, and he did finish off with a spectacularly out-of-tune rendition of Space Oddity ...

None of which explains why everyone is so quiet on here about Lonely Robot appearing at Space Rocks on 22 April!!!

C'mon you lot: we need you to be there. I can't keep on providing you with endless spacey entertainment, only for you to ignore the first gig I've put on as ESA's scientific impressario!

owen

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: owen on February 20, 2018, 12:00:43 AM
Sorry TA, I can't either :(

Hmmm ... is anyone from these parts going to be able to come?  ???

L33VEY

Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: L33VEY on April 05, 2018, 07:19:18 PM
I'm going, I'm going   8)

Excellent – very happy to hear that. Will see you there  8)

Everyone who has been havering, there's even more reason to come now: the afternoon science fiction meets science fact panel now features Gavin Rothery (co-creator of "Moon"), Charlotte Hatherley (ex-Ash, playing at SR, and sci-fi geek extraordinaire), Alastair Reynolds (sci-fi author of Revelation Space and Poseidon's Children series), Tim Peake (ESA astronaut), Dallas Campbell (him off the telly), and your favourite MT/TA.

Then the gig has expanded to include Kim Seviour singing with Lonely Robot and a set by Arcane Roots, along with Charlotte's set beforehand.

Just do it  ;D

D S

Damn - I wish I could. However, my excuse for not going is a good one as I'm currently in Chile. I was lucky enough to get a tour of ALMA in the Atacama desert yesterday. Have you been there TA? Right up your street I would have thought.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: D S on April 09, 2018, 01:18:51 PM
Damn - I wish I could. However, my excuse for not going is a good one as I'm currently in Chile. I was lucky enough to get a tour of ALMA in the Atacama desert yesterday. Have you been there TA? Right up your street I would have thought.

Have I been? Is the Pope a Catholic?! I am an astronomer, even if he's not  :P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markmccaughrean/albums/72157675127680492

That said, I've only been to ALMA once and it's not an easy trip for tourists, given the altitude, so good on you for getting up there.

I have, however, been to Paranal, the home of ESO's Very Large Telescope, many times for observing and other trips (pix also in the same Flickr set). Equally spectacular, if you have the chance while in Chile. It's a fantastic country, but very large: how much of it are you seeing?

None of which is an excuse to be missing Space Rocks, mind you  >:(

D S

OK - silly question! ::) 8)
Great photos. Us plebs only get up to the control area - you have to get a medical check before being allowed up to the actual array at 5000m. :o
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: D S on April 09, 2018, 10:53:20 PM
OK - silly question! ::) 8)
Great photos. Us plebs only get up to the control area - you have to get a medical check before being allowed up to the actual array at 5000m. :o

Ah - I did wonder.

Yes, they're quite rigorous with the medical check, for obvious reasons. Several people in our party at the end of 2016 failed and had to remain at the mid-level facility, and many of the others who did go to 5000m used supplementary oxygen. I decided against it, having spent many nights at 4000m (Mauna Kea), and knowing that it could give a false sense of security.

Take things slowly and don't run around like an idiot. I managed to follow that rule ... mostly.