Reviews: Frost* at The Peel

Started by ich_bin_besser, December 19, 2008, 11:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Jonah Jameson

Thanks everyone for a brilliant weekend.  Such a long day, due to TBE's illness we ended up getting together in Reading before the gig, as well as sorting all the logistics out, but what a blast.  One of the best gig's I've ever been at, let alone played in.  Brilliant to hear everyone singing even the instrumental sections back at us!

The chap before we went on was Alan Rudge.  Back when the gig was booked ,Jem said we've got to have a magician to support - it is Christmas after all - and I think Alan did a great job.  Not sure I'd have liked to face a room full of Frosties all high on biscuits and beer...

Merry Christmas everyone!

JJJ

TonyB

Quote from: "D S"
Quote from: "RWA"But I can't believe no one mentioned the new live rig!!!!  :x
How was it?! How did it look and sound?!?!?  :shock:

I was a thing of sterling beauty....
I and both of my friends were having several small yet perfectly formed babies over it :)
"I bet you weren\'t expecting this!!"

RWA

Quote from: "TonyB"
Quote from: "D S"
Quote from: "RWA"But I can't believe no one mentioned the new live rig!!!!  :x
How was it?! How did it look and sound?!?!?  :shock:

I was a thing of sterling beauty....
I and both of my friends were having several small yet perfectly formed babies over it :)

Sweet!  :shock:

LivingForever

Quote from: "J Jonah Jameson"The chap before we went on was Alan Rudge.  Back when the gig was booked ,Jem said we've got to have a magician to support - it is Christmas after all - and I think Alan did a great job.  Not sure I'd have liked to face a room full of Frosties all high on biscuits and beer...

Merry Christmas everyone!

JJJ

I thought he did a cracking job of getting us all in the mood - probably more so than a band we didn't know would have done! So top marks... And glad you enjoyed it so much, it's always good to know the guys up on stage are having as good a time as us. Although, to be fair, it's always pretty obvious with Frost*!
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

sawtooth

Quote from: "Sarah"
Quote from: "keithd"Here's a few snaps

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Keith.Dav ... ThePeel02#

I love the kebab shot - bet Philadelphia isn't impressed  ;)
That's flippin' horrific. To the casual observer, we all look like we were blind drunk! ;)

catherine

I'm fervently hoping that's not a "kebab" shot in the Jade Goody sense...  :shock:  (ducks and runs away quickly)

Twang

Quote from: "tomskerous"
Quote from: "EVP"But were there any biscuits?

As far as the eye could see mate, as far as the eye could see.

Plates on the bars, on the tables - but Twang himself should be the man to admit to the heinous subversive crime against biccieism that lurked on each plate.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON THE GREAT BISCUIT RIOTS OF DEC 20th!

It was stupid & totally irresponsible of me,to include the said offending Jaffa Cakes that quite clearly were put there to cause emotions already fired up by the performance to come.

I can only say Sorry, I know to many that word seems cold now in the cold light of day.

I hope you can all find it in your hearts to forgive the unforgiven. You can be assured that I have been under a blanket when out in Public since that fateful night.

I have been greeted with sneers of. ' Look Mavis, that's the Monster who put Jaffa Cakes in with 'the ' Biscuits at the recent Frost* show!'. 'People like that shouldn't be allowed to walk the Street, what is this Country coming to'! I deserve nothing less.

Once again I am so Sorry, so very, very Sorry!

Anyone for a Jellybaby? No? No you are right I can't bribe my way out of this one. :cry:

johninblack

Quote from: "Twang"OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON THE GREAT BISCUIT RIOTS OF DEC 20th!

It was stupid & totally irresponsible of me,to include the said offending Jaffa Cakes that quite clearly were put there to cause emotions already fired up by the performance to come.

I can only say Sorry, I know to many that word seems cold now in the cold light of day.

I hope you can all find it in your hearts to forgive the unforgiven. You can be assured that I have been under a blanket when out in Public since that fateful night.

I have been greeted with sneers of. ' Look Mavis, that's the Monster who put Jaffa Cakes in with 'the ' Biscuits at the recent Frost* show!'. 'People like that shouldn't be allowed to walk the Street, what is this Country coming to'! I deserve nothing less.

Once again I am so Sorry, so very, very Sorry!

Anyone for a Jellybaby? No? No you are right I can't bribe my way out of this one. :cry:
Someone did eat them though. Sue enjoyed them very much. :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Jon

A quick note from an occasional lurker and first time poster here to say how much I enjoyed this gig.  In fact the whole weekend at The Peel was excellent.  

The band seemed to be on great form and enjoying things themselves as much as the audience were.  Nice to see a Rickenbacker appearance too - 'weapon of prog' indeed.

I don't think I've ever seen The Peel quite so busy.  Good to see some familiar faces, including some people I hadn't spoken to for a long time.

Mick

The Peel is the home of Prog you know! :D

Mikey

Quote from: "Twang"I have been greeted with sneers of. ' Look Mavis, that's the Monster who put Jaffa Cakes in with 'the ' Biscuits at the recent Frost* show!'. ':
Honoury biscuits they are.

Only just managed to catch up with most of the messages.

What a great evening, thanks to all involved.  :D  :D  :D  :D

And Word to just about everything that was posted
I used to have a signature

Cynthia's Mallet

Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said, what a fantastic night that was!  It's so nice to see a band who really gel with each other on and off stage and who come out to meet us all afterwards - it's what makes the prog community so special and gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside  :D

I thought the band were absolutely cracking - I sympathised with JM's squeaks earlier on, very frustrating, however, that didn't spoil any of the set - I realised how great it is to hear Frost* songs live and loud - they really work live - after seeing Jem's Frost* Report on what was involved in setting up the keyboards with all the different samples, patches and sounds a big doth of the Frostie Christmas hat to JG.  

It was great to watch one of Andy's last live performances from where we were too - he is a phenomenal drummer and bloody nice bloke.

It also made me smile seeing JM mouth to DB "I love you" mid song - there was indeed, a lot of man love in the building  :lol:  

Then of course, was the personal icing on the jem for me - seeing my beloved Lawny singing on stage with the guys!!  When the other guy didn't get up and a request went out for anyone else who could sing, it just came out: "He can!"  I shouted - I knew he'd love to sing it so I'm really pleased I did it!  Man, we hardly slept that night!

I know I've only really just started here on the forum but it was really nice to meet so many other Frost*ies - I love the way prog paths keep crossing out on the circuit  :)

That certainly was a weekend neither of us will ever forget.... :mrgreen:
"Anyone for croquet?..."

RacingHippo

Welcome, CM!
I think there were another 200 or so people who were glad you shouted :)
What a great finale.

I have to ask - if you're Cynthia's Mallet, who's Cynthia?
* May contain nuts.

Pedro

Quote from: "RacingHippo"Welcome, CM!
What a great finale.

Could this have anything to do with the cover of Genesis' Nursery Cryme?  :?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Cynthia's Mallet

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "RacingHippo"Welcome, CM!
What a great finale.

Could this have anything to do with the cover of Genesis' Nursery Cryme?  :?

Indeed Sir....for those not familiar with the tale, here transcribed as follows...:

While Henry Hamilton-Smythe minor (8) was playing croquet with
Cynthia Jane De Blaise-William (9), sweet-smiling Cynthia raised her
mallet high and gracefully removed Henry's head. Two weeks later,
in Henry's nursery, she discovered his treasured musical box. Eagerly
she opened it and as "Old King Cole" began to play, a small spirit-
figure appeared. Henry had returned - but not for long, for as he
stood in the room his body began ageing rapidly, leaving a child's
mind inside. A lifetime's desires surged through him. Unfortunately
the attempt to persuade Cynthia Jane to fulfill his romantic desire
led his nurse to the nursery to investigate the noise. Instinctively
Nanny hurled the musical box at the bearded child, destroying both.

Thanks for the welcome guys!
"Anyone for croquet?..."