Main Menu

Tunnocks

Started by Mikey, June 09, 2019, 03:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

The inventor of the iconic Tunnock's teacake has been given a knighthood.

Boyd Tunnock was nighted for his services to the confectionery business n the Queen's Birthday Honours list.

The 86-year-old Scot was the mastermind behind the teacake after being tasked by his father to come up with something new.

His Thomas Tunnock Limited firm, which is based in Uddingston, Lanarkshire, produces the snowballs, caramel wafers, caramel logs and Tunnock's teacakes, famous in the UK and worldwide.

After extensive market research, he came up with the idea of using a biscuit base and hand piped Italian meringue on to it before covering in milk chocolate.

It hit the shelves in 1956 and has been a favourites ever since.

Saudi Arabia is the largest overseas buyer but the teacakes produced by the baker sell from Thurso to Trinidad.

At the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, the teacakes took centre stage as dancers dressed in the distinctive wrapper design moved around the main performers near the start of the show.

Sales of the biscuit went through the roof the day after the ceremony.

That year, Boyd was one of the few Scottish business leaders to back the Union in the referendum campaign and is a firm supporter of the Conservative Party.

Dubbed the Willy Wonka of Tannochside, the biscuit maker was awarded an MBE in 1987 for services to exports. He also received a CBE in 2004 for services to charity.

He is the grandson of the founder of Tunnock's, Thomas Tunnock, and other than the two years he spent in national service, he has worked in

the family business since the age of 15.

The firm has an annual turnover of more than £54million and more than 550 employees.

Last year, Boyd was criticised when he donated a Rolls-Royce car to Glasgow City Council.

The anonymous move came as the council faced cuts in public services.

Boyd confirmed he was behind the gift and said he just wanted to do "a good thing" for the city.
I used to have a signature

D S

8) A true Scottish genius!
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mikey

I used to have a signature

Mordwin

Quote from: Mikey on June 09, 2019, 04:14:25 PM
Quote from: D S on June 09, 2019, 03:49:10 PM
8) A true Scottish genius!
Isn't that an oxymoron?

If you ignore inventing much of the modern world (and the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer too, lets not forget)... sure!  :P

D S

Who are you calling an oxymoron, pal? Ootside...  ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

rogerg

Mordwin

And anyway, I consider myself a Silimoron... (there's a bad chemistry joke in there somewhere too as a bonus :D)

owen

Have you noticed what type of biscuit you are?

Mordwin

rogerg