X Factor and the like...

Started by TonyB, January 05, 2009, 03:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyB

One for everyone but I'm particularly interested in what jem has to say given he's written the final song for one of them...

What are people's opinions on shows like the X Factor/Pop Idol etc etc?
I was sat there getting my haircut earlier and heard Alexandra singing "hallelujah"
and couldn't help but think what it would've been like had Eoghan or whatever his name was sang it...Yet it would have still been number one..

My personal opinion is that whilst it's brilliant for the people who win (how long that fame lasts for is a seperate discussion!) but it's not doing the industry and favours. I mean there's something not right when there's a guaranteed number one and you don't even know who's singing it yet! That can't be right! Things are changing all the time and no more than right now it would seem so how do people think these kinds of shows and their related 'guaranteed' success in the charts affects the industry and how people view the charts as a whole?

Just thought it would be a good topic for discussion :)
"I bet you weren\'t expecting this!!"

elevenseventysix

TonyB

Very well put sir :)
Couldn't have said it better myself!
"I bet you weren\'t expecting this!!"

Nellie

I think ALL so called reality shows should be banned. They don't do anyone any favours in the long run and are probably more damaging for the people involved than if they never got an inkling of fame. The talent scouts should get off their backsides and go out and look for talent in the places where normal people spend years trying to achieve success. Humbug!
It's in the post!

tomskerous

And while TOTP struggled to stay on air with less than a million viewers, these shows regularly pull in 7m.

Perhaps everyone else knows something we don't.

(Let us not forget that 'proper bands' who write their own songs may merely be a temporary aberration brought on by those scamps The Beatles.)
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

MikeEvs

Quote from: "Nellie"I think ALL so called reality shows should be banned. They don't do anyone any favours in the long run and are probably more damaging for the people involved than if they never got an inkling of fame. The talent scouts should get off their backsides and go out and look for talent in the places where normal people spend years trying to achieve success. Humbug!

Well said I couldn't agree more

tomskerous

Quote from: "Nellie"the places where normal people spend years trying to achieve success.

Ah, but normal people don't spend years trying to achieve success. That's what makes them such appalling TV presences. Far better to have people the general public can engage with... ;-)
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Dave M

Jem described Elbows' Mercury Prize as giving hope that "we won't be absorbed by a tidal wave of tallentless teenagers " ...

Having said that, I'm sure he would be delighted to supply song after song to the winners of shows like X factor.

I have to say (though I really didnt watch it this year) I love X factor, it's great TV .. especially the deluded at the initial auditions .. train wreck TV at its best  :D

It's a shame it's not a little more like American Idol, where they sing with a real band every week ... which I think is a bit more challenging than a backing track.

As for its use as a talent contest ... why not ? TV talent contests have delivered many performers to us in the past 25 years. Yes it's a short cut, avoiding years spent in smelly rehearsal rooms and toilet gigs before getting a break .. but why not ? We live in an immediate society now, why not immediate stars. This years winner certainly has a great voice.

I do think it's a great shame that so many covers are used for singles though, where's the value in that other than being a monster paying number one  ;)
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

johninblack

I would have to say that my only real problem with the X Factor is the total lack of imagination shown in choosing the winners single. Oh, and wosername miming. Whatever message does that send out?
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

elevenseventysix

I have to agree that we have had some world class stars come out of X Factor and similar programmes. Look at Kelly Clarkson from USA, she has global success, as well as Leona Lewis from the UK. We then see some country specific stars like Girls Aloud who are doing extremely well here in the UK. And then we get the total flops... Gareth Gates, Steve Brocken-whatever his name was, and the soon to be totally unknown JLS...

I agree we live in an instant culture - we want it and we want it now. But 'real' music (the music WE love, otherwise we wouldn't be here on this forum!) is begining to conform to the we want it now attitude. Bands are coming up with really imaginative ways of releasing music, utilising the digital world to their advatage. And we're just at the beginning of it.

So watch out X-Factor, the 'real music' is answering back!

LivingForever

Quote from: "Dave M"Jem described Elbows' Mercury Prize as giving hope that "we won't be absorbed by a tidal wave of tallentless teenagers " ...

To be fair though, the Mercury Music Prize is somewhat removed from the likes of the X Factor - no talentless teenagers are ever nominated so some proper musicians are guaranteed to win!

Not to take away from Elbow whose win was completely deserved!  :D
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Drarok

Is there an X-Factor-alike, but for people with musical talent, like whole bands and the like?

MrsJiB

Quote from: "Drarok"Is there an X-Factor-alike, but for people with musical talent, like whole bands and the like?

Channel 4 do a "talent" style show with the     T4 Orange unsigned Act     but that is for the "Hip n Trendy youngsters, with "presenters" and musicians making acerbic and supposedly witty remarks.....

Pedro

Quote from: "Drarok"Is there an X-Factor-alike, but for people with musical talent, like whole bands and the like?
There's Summer's End....but they never seem to announce the winners.... :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Equinox

well i have to say, to those who are 'dissillutioned' with the charts these days.... have you heard most pop music over the last decade??? on the majority it's been designed to appeal to kids of folk who don't know better... so x factor is a natural progression... however i don't mind it one bit.

hell i've even entered it this year cause i've been singing for the last 10 years locally, i've been told i'm pretty good. so why not let something like x factor get me further in the business. all's fair in love and war, and music is my love!

i sing karaoke so who cares if your singing other folks songs. i bet the artists are getting thier royalties it so everyone's a winner

if i want to listen to good music, i'll stick on my EIMA and chill.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: