X Factor and the like...

Started by TonyB, January 05, 2009, 03:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomskerous

Quote from: "Equinox"well i have to say, to those who are 'dissillutioned' with the charts these days.... have you heard most pop music over the last decade??? on the majority it's been designed to appeal to kids of folk who don't know better.

I think for the last forty or so years actually...

But pop is just brilliant at disposable innovations and hooks. I'd rather be stuck with Kylie's Showgirl DVD than Yes 9012Live any day.
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

XeRocks81

"disposable innovations"

what does that even mean? :?

Pedro

Quote from: "XeRocks81""disposable innovations"

LOL
I guess it refers to all those one-use sounds that made pop hits 'catch your ear' but then couldn't be used again because their so distinctive. Perhaps like that 'stoppy-starty' guitar that Madonna used, or even ItBites' "Dumbry-umbry-ay-oh". Brilliant, ear-catching but can't be used again.

That's my guess anyway....  :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Equinox

Quote from: "Pedro"

LOL
I guess it refers to all those one-use sounds that made pop hits 'catch your ear' but then couldn't be used again because their so distinctive. Perhaps like that 'stoppy-starty' guitar that Madonna used, or even ItBites' "Dumbry-umbry-ay-oh". Brilliant, ear-catching but can't be used again.

That's my guess anyway....  :D

or more fitting... mr blobby... barbie girl... crazy frog... need i go on...

Nellie

Quote from: "Equinox"

LOL

That's my guess anyway.... :D

You're so clever Pedders.
It's in the post!

tomskerous

Quote from: "Equinox"or more fitting... mr blobby... barbie girl... crazy frog... need i go on...

Why 'more fitting'?

(And leave Aqua alone! Some of their second album was just brilliant.)
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Geetar

Quote from: "tomskerous"I'd rather be stuck with Kylie's Showgirl DVD than Yes 9012Live any day.

Oh, I don't know- there's plenty of entertainment to be had from both of those.

In defense of 9012Live there's Trevor's hair, or Jon's costume; or even Tony's comedy shorts. The only thing  that could possibly make it funnier would be Steve Howe doing somersaults in a spandex Spiderman outfit.
This space for sale.

TonyB

Quote from: "Nellie"
Quote from: "Equinox"

LOL

That's my guess anyway.... :D

You're so clever Pedders.

Or even that buggering 'My voice has been pitch corrected beyond belief so I sound like a robot' sound that you would of thought would have stopped with Cher's 'Believe'

It can currently be found in most of today's chart R&B music which seems bizzare given its distinctive gimmicky sound!

I guess some of them make it through!
"I bet you weren\'t expecting this!!"

LivingForever

Quote from: "tomskerous"(And leave Aqua alone! Some of their second album was just brilliant.)

Some of their first album was too...  :D  I bet there's no other prog forum I could get away with writing that on.

Or indeed any other forum at all!
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Mouse

Quote from: "Geetar"In defense of 9012Live there's Trevor's hair, or Jon's costume; or even Tony's comedy shorts. The only thing  that could possibly make it funnier would be Steve Howe doing somersaults in a spandex Spiderman outfit.

:lol:
I really can't think of anything to add to that! Genious!

Mikey

Quote from: "Drarok"Is there an X-Factor-alike, but for people with musical talent, like whole bands and the like?
Frost* at the Peel?
I used to have a signature

Mouse

Quote from: "Mikey"
Quote from: "Drarok"Is there an X-Factor-alike, but for people with musical talent, like whole bands and the like?
Frost* at the Peel?

And lo, Lawnmower was found!  :D

Gandalf1986

Quote from: "Mikey"
Frost* at the Peel?

WORD!
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

Ash

I am very distressed when X Factor, Strictly and all the others are not on as my Mum absolutely loves them and she is always available to babysit  :lol:

Don't forget That's my Goal etc funds the hobby that is Frost* so it can't be that bad.

I started getting annoyed with manufactured pop in the SAW days, it all seemed to be a bit 1984, you know that machine that generated the pop music but now I haven't got a clue about what is in the charts, I am not such a snob about it.
Ash
xxx

DannySoisSage

Quote from: "johninblack"I would have to say that my only real problem with the X Factor is the total lack of imagination shown in choosing the winners single. Oh, and wosername miming. Whatever message does that send out?

It sent out a great message! Everyone I spoke to was SO disappointed that she mimed and it gave such a great contrast between having seen people singing totally live, accompanied by nothing, then just a piano, then finally backing tracks and seeing someone dance embarassingly and not sing.

IMO these shows are great because they inspire people to sing and get into music at any level; they also expose young people to music they might not hear anywhere else (Beatles night, Abba night etc etc) and they feature lots and lots and lots of advice for commion problems singers face from the very top of the industry. Not everyone has access to weekly appraisal's with the likes of Simon Cowell and so on.

My only criticism is that so far its produced several great singers (Alexandra and Leona especially), some very good singers (I really really like Leon but wouldn't call him a great singer), but it hasn't yet produced any truly great music (sorry Jem). Leon's latest song is pretty cool but nothing groundbreaking.

Anything that gets seven million people a week watching live talented singers is good by me.