X Factor and the like...

Started by TonyB, January 05, 2009, 03:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geetar

So with all this enthusiasm for the weekly struggles of singers, why on earth don't they find a formula that works for new bands?

Something along the lines of: you get a subject to write a 3min 05  song about, in 4/4, 12/8 or summat like that (13/8 ?). You have to use a particular set of words in the lyrics, and you can't use an existing song by your band.

It has to include a middle eight, and be playable on Radio One or its ilk.

Got to be do-able. But then, maybe I'm mad.

Actually, no maybe about it.
This space for sale.

tomskerous

But where's the jeopardy, the personal struggle?

(I tried to get something like this commissioned by the BBC about two years ago, and came within a whisker. But it would have been very hard to keep the show entertaining with all that 'craft' floating about.)
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Ash

Yes  :lol:   the bands need to have a personal struggle that they overcame to be there as per Peter Kay
Ash
xxx

Philadelphia

Just make one of the bands an all-female one. Then throw in a couple of cute blokes as backing vocalists and have the girls start fighting over them. That's got to be close enough to the popular kind of "reality" television for people to watch it?
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

LivingForever

Quote from: "tomskerous"But where's the jeopardy, the personal struggle?

(I tried to get something like this commissioned by the BBC about two years ago, and came within a whisker. But it would have been very hard to keep the show entertaining with all that 'craft' floating about.)

There was a touch of what you're suggesting there in 'Fame Academy' - which was all round a lot more interesting thean X-Factor / Pop Idol.

Which explains why it got cancelled.  :roll:
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

MikeEvs

Quote from: "LivingForever"

There was a touch of what you're suggesting there in 'Fame Academy' - which was all round a lot more interesting thean X-Factor / Pop Idol.

And I actually like Sinead Quinn more than anyone that's ever come out of X-factor

Equinox

Quote from: "MikeEvs"
Quote from: "LivingForever"

And I actually like Sinead Quinn more than anyone that's ever come out of X-factor

my personal fave is will young. fantastic

johninblack

Quote from: "Equinox"my personal fave is will young. fantastic

Likewise, it's ironic that his and my least favourite release was the first one (Evergreen?) that had the biggest impact on the charts. Since he's been doing what he wants to do I've really liked his work.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

tomskerous

Still find it amazing that he works with Nitin Sawhney.

Who, I've just realised nobody has discussed on here yet! Thoughts everyone?

(Me, I'll put my hand up for the 'godlike genius' camp)
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Nellie

Will Young's band are awesome!
It's in the post!