Main Menu

Silly purchases

Started by SerFox, November 08, 2008, 10:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerFox

What was the last thing you bought and wished you hadnt?

Mine was actually a couple of years ago now. I bought a double neck guitar that was pretty banged up, theyd done a terrible spray paint job on it and all the guts were ruined, and ad to that someone had gloss painted the fretboard...

It cost me about £120, and it doesnt require that much work. The gloss paint came off without damage to the fretboard besides what it had done, the frets were easy to clean, replacing a couple of them though, and there arent many ajustments needing done. But I have no idea how to clean this horrible paint job and im useless at electronics, so its gathering dust in a corner until I finish education and have lots of free time, because I know exactly what I want to do with it and it'll look ace when its done, its just... doing it.

Oh yeah, it has coupled humbuckers and Ibanez supers pickups, and they are extremely warm sounding, I think the cost of the guitar was worth the pickups themselves, but.. yknow...

Your turn.

Brom

Quote from: "SerFox"What was the last thing you bought and wished you hadnt?

Mine was actually a couple of years ago now. I bought a double neck guitar that was pretty banged up, theyd done a terrible spray paint job on it and all the guts were ruined, and ad to that someone had gloss painted the fretboard...

It cost me about £120, and it doesnt require that much work. The gloss paint came off without damage to the fretboard besides what it had done, the frets were easy to clean, replacing a couple of them though, and there arent many ajustments needing done. But I have no idea how to clean this horrible paint job and im useless at electronics, so its gathering dust in a corner until I finish education and have lots of free time, because I know exactly what I want to do with it and it'll look ace when its done, its just... doing it.

Oh yeah, it has coupled humbuckers and Ibanez supers pickups, and they are extremely warm sounding, I think the cost of the guitar was worth the pickups themselves, but.. yknow...

Your turn.

Mate, I've mentioned this before on the old forum, if you ever need any help with electronics or wiring etc, advice, or even maybe some work done, I will probably be able to help. Especially considering your present location.  

Project wise....I've got a valve amp sketched out, but finding the time, now that's the difficult bit!
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

SerFox

Quote from: "Brom"

Your turn.

Mate, I've mentioned this before on the old forum, if you ever need any help with electronics or wiring etc, advice, or even maybe some work done, I will probably be able to help. Especially considering your present location.  

Project wise....I've got a valve amp sketched out, but finding the time, now that's the difficult bit!

Im still quite a new frost*ie, dont hate me :(

I dont actually have it down here in hatfield. I might get it sent down at some point though.

Jem

A BMW 5 series touring.

Bloody thing keeps having an electronics paddy. The electrics are shite. The voice recognition thing has converted to Martian and it had a total electrics failure on Wife as she was doing 60 down the A267 last week. The speedo went, the power steering, the airbags...everything.

And on the iDrive display came the message "Drive Carefully".

Yeah right. Right to the bloody garage in exchange for a car that actually bloody works.

More on the blog later.... :evil:

SerFox

Quote from: "Jem"A BMW 5 series touring.

Bloody thing keeps having an electronics paddy. The electrics are shite. The voice recognition thing has converted to Martian and it had a total electrics failure on Wife as she was doing 60 down the A267 last week. The speedo went, the power steering, the airbags...everything.

And on the iDrive display came the message "Drive Carefully".

Yeah right. Right to the bloody garage in exchange for a car that actually bloody works.

More on the blog later.... :evil:

Jem, I thought your worst ever was the smart car?

Jem

No no, I LOVED the Smart Car. I had to ditch is coz Wife was making more babies and our drive's not big enough for 3 cars.

I still go all window licker whenever I see one. SUCH fun to lamp about, I had paddle gear shifts on my one and big fat sports tyres, I miss it to this day. :(

tomskerous

A Peugeot 307. Grrr.

And Wagner's Ring Cycle.
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Brom

Quote from: "SerFox"
Quote from: "Brom"

Your turn.

Im still quite a new frost*ie, dont hate me :(

I dont actually have it down here in hatfield. I might get it sent down at some point though.

I don't hate you!!! I'ts a habit of mine to mention that I've mentioned things before. It's  not wanting people to think that I'm a rambling old git, a la... When I was in the war, Uncle Albert sort of thing...I thought I'd just mention that.
 :)
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

RWA

Sorry to make this all about (bloody) cars.... but: A Chrysler Stratus on lpg.

My first and last American car. Refuses to run on lpg properly even after 2000 euro on repairs. The damn thing has more problems (requires another 1500 euro or so on repairs/replacements) so I'm going back to a Ford Mondeo Tdi next week. Those actually work and go vraooomvrooamm.  :|

Pedro

Quote from: "tomskerous"And Wagner's Ring Cycle.
....which washing machine did that come with?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Gig Buddy

Bloody Renault Bloody Five.  :oops:
Dr. Feelgood factor 10% milk...

Geetar

Our house here in Florida.
This space for sale.

James_S

Quote from: "Jem"No no, I LOVED the Smart Car. I had to ditch is coz Wife was making more babies and our drive's not big enough for 3 cars.

I still go all window licker whenever I see one. SUCH fun to lamp about, I had paddle gear shifts on my one and big fat sports tyres, I miss it to this day. :(

I thought you could park the Smarts pretty much anywhere -use your new phonebox as a garage :D
So many keyboards, so little time!

El_Presidente

Pioneer Laserdisc, bought in 1988 - The future of digital A/V.

Not only that, but a few months after I replied to an ad where a bloke was selling a dozen 'laser discs' for £30.  He offered to meet me locally as he would be passing the area.

I looked in the bag he had and there seemed to be around a dozen sleeves for movies and some music.  He got one out and showed me a silver coloured disc, so I thought I'd give it a shot and paid him the £30.

(by this time - you're starting to tut and feel like you know what's coming... aren't you?)

Got them home and took them all out of their sleeves.  Funny... the rest of these aren't silver coloured...
Turned out to be some old Philips analogue format, audio only I believe.  Didn't have the player for them, total waste of money.
The silver disc was a Japanese language promo thing that had people on it doing some kind of extreme sports.  At least it actually played.

Of the grand total of 7 proper laserdisc discs I ever had - I sold four on ebay for £3-4 each, two wouldn't play anymore and I kept one, my favourite - Def Leppard In The Round, Live Concert.  I loved that one.

Got the player and the Leps out a few years ago having moved house and it being in mothballs for yonks.  Plugged in, loaded up, got the full-on servo whoosh as it tried to spin 2KG of disc up to speed.  On came the Leps - doin' their thang, in mega-techno glory.
Then GRINDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!  Phiz, Pop, Gurgle.

No disc, no player.  :-(  Bastard.
Never trust a man who, when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn\'t try it on.  B Connolly.

SerFox

EIMA.

Got you.  :D  :D  :D  :D