Started by tomskerous, January 30, 2009, 12:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Quote from: "Jem"
Quote from: "rogerg"Venus, I believe.

It is Venus.

Astronomy. Just so rocks.  :D

Word !!  :D

I bow to your better knwoledge, but I thought that Venus was a bit lower on the horizon ? Anyway, look out for the comet !!

Weather Report from a little village outside Norwich - no snow to speak of, kids school not closed and therefore, no gratis day building snowmen with kids.  :(

I'm sitting in my office at work and no sign of impending blizard conditions either  :(

Boo !!!  :cry:
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Dave M

Ok ... who's blagged a day off for the snow then ?

I'm sat in my office looking at the snow falling outside thinking about snow men !
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Jem"And I'm suffering from the flipside of working from home...

No day off for me.  :cry:
I share your pain :(

Mind you, if it's really bad, at least you can claim that the path to the Cube was blocked. Or there was a 10' snow drift blocking the door.
I'd need a major snowfall on the landing to block my access to work!

Quote from: "Jem"That said, I did walk to the village this morning. It was magical. Even if I did fall on my arse halfway there.
Walking Pygmy Hippo to school this morning took a rather long time for some reason. Might have something to do with the need to throw snowballs at anything that moved.
* May contain nuts.

catherine

Pygmy Hippo's school was open? Most of the Cambridgeshire ones seem to be closed, so I have the double whammy of attempting to work from home whilst keeping 2 sprogs out of mischief, cooking lunch for them, etc. They'd already built a snowman by 9am and came in because it was too cold.

Oh for a nice quiet day in the office!

johninblack

Quote from: "Dave M"Ok ... who's blagged a day off for the snow then ?

I've used up all my sick days, I'm phoning in dead!

Quote from: "Dave M"I'm sat in my office looking at the snow falling outside thinking about snow men !

We have about 2cm laying so no great problem, the worst of the snow here is supposedly due between about 3pm and 3am tomorrow. I start work at 2pm till 10pm. I AM coming home, even if I have to walk. I've got a met office radar refreshing every half hour or so on my desktop. Looks like (for East Anglia) the worst is yet to come.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

D S

I'm a victim of the east - west split of the snow.  Mrs DS (a teacher) and the 2 DS daughters get the day off due to the snow in our town.  It's not really that deep (just a couple of inches) but there were fears of it worsening and kids in the outlying rural areas being unable to get home.

Meanwhile, I have to drive some 16 miles west to work - where there is only a dusting of the stuff and people are wondering what all the fuss is about.  So, no day off for me.  :|

Alan Reed of Pallas made me laugh with his email to the Pallas list this morning.  Although he now lives in London, he did live in Aberdeen (where, having lived there for 10 years myself, I can tell you they know a thing or two about real snow!)

"Public Service Anouncement: This for the amusement of those outside the SE of England.  There's been a bit of snow.. London is closed.  Just off to Sainsbury's to panic-buy bottled water and tinned goods before society collapses."
Come on, you\'re a lion!

MikeEvs

Quote from: "Dave M"Ok ... who's blagged a day off for the snow then ?

I'd already booked a day off in advance so that I could stay up and watch the superbowl :D

Ash

Quote from: "D S""Public Service Anouncement: This for the amusement of those outside the SE of England.  There's been a bit of snow.. London is closed.  Just off to Sainsbury's to panic-buy bottled water and tinned goods before society collapses."

He's quite correct tho  :lol:

Anyway - I have the "benefit" of home working.  I had done a lot of a report due in tomorrow on Friday night so I did not feel bad about only logging on for a couple of hours today.  There was an email from the CE about 1.30 saying the office was going to close but people could work from home.  Cheers!
Ash
xxx

Bert

Quote from: "johninblack"Looks like (for East Anglia) the worst is yet to come.

I hope you're right JiB. I've been wating all bloody day and there's still no sign.

Its all so bloody unfair  :cry: Equality in snowfall, I say !!
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Philadelphia

I'm very much used to bad weather and a lot of snow appearing in a short time... And we never got days off from school - despite the fact that some days people had to climb out their windows to get there as the doors were blocked until the plows made it to their flats. Though, ideally, plows would appear at some point and make things easier.

No snow here, though. Not even a flake or two.
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

Mouse

The Mouse Hole's Hull HQ is located just down the road from my college, so there was no means of blagging a day off. I wouldn't want one anyways - I love my work!  :D

Snow's now turned to rain here. And there was no-one to have any snow-fun with. Boo!  :cry:

LivingForever

Quote from: "Philadelphia"No snow here, though. Not even a flake or two.

Who'd have thought you'd have to head to the UK just to see some snow, eh?!

:D
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Jem"
Quote from: "rogerg"Venus, I believe.

It is Venus. And we have a comet in our midst. Low in the horizon to the east, it's pretty faint, but you should be able to see it with binoculars for all of Feb.

Astronomy. Just so rocks.  :D

Funny you should mention that; I've been wondering whether you had an astronomical bent, Jem (as opposed to an astronomically bent Jem).

Indeed, it has been tickling my fancy to see if you'd be interested in putting together a little commission to launch a rocket to one day. A pretty frakking serious rocket at that ...  :D

johninblack

Quote from: "johninblack"Looks like (for East Anglia) the worst is yet to come.

What farkin stoopid idiot wrote that? Virtually no trace that it ever snowed here now, the rain has melted it all. It's been raining since around 5pm. I just hope that it doesn't suddenly freeze then snow again!!
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mouse

Quote from: "johninblack"I just hope that it doesn't suddenly freeze then snow again!!

I think that's the main concern now. Everyone who drives, be extra careful out on the roads (checks clock) later today!