My latest recorded output

Started by NeiloMac, January 20, 2009, 09:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeiloMac

Here it is.  Warning- It's a heavy track with death vocals.  It does have a cheeky musical nod to King Crimson in the middle, though - bonus biscuits to whoever spots it.

It's a version of a song I'm playing with a recently-re-formed band I've re-joined.  Yeah, that's a lot of 're-'s.  It's called Sweet Rebellion, and it features the first time I've ever had a crack at doing harsh/growling vocals.  Usually the drummer does those bits, but seeing as I was having a go at recording the entire song solo, it was up to me to do those parts, and so I did.

The drums are programmed, and the sounds are from XLN Audio's excellent Addictive Drums virtual instrument.  The rest of the instruments are all me, as are all the vocals.  Some of the singing's a bit shaky, but it was all first/second take stuff, just to get something down to see how it all pans out, arrangement-wise.  I'll go back and re-do the vocals at a later time.

So, enjoy, and feed me back.  :-)

johninblack

OK. Hated the growly vocals, never have liked them. Not enough bass. As you said the vocals need a fair bit of tidying up. But, ya know what, despite the untidiness I bloody loved it!!! Really good. Look forward to an improved version. :D Well done you, have a nice pack of custard creams.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Drarok

The pair of guitar parts at the start don't seem to match up, is one out-of-tune, perhaps?

Other than that, I quite like it. Oh, except the snare sound at the start. Too much ring for me, damp it down a bit and you'll have me sold. :)

NeiloMac

Quote from: "Drarok"The pair of guitar parts at the start don't seem to match up, is one out-of-tune, perhaps?

Other than that, I quite like it. Oh, except the snare sound at the start. Too much ring for me, damp it down a bit and you'll have me sold. :)

The second time the little twiddly part comes around, I intentionally played one part a semitone higher, to fling in a bit of dissonance.  Because as we all know, dissonace = teh br00talz.   :evil:  :P

As far as the drum sound goes, it's just a preset from Addictive Drums.  If/when I go back and do a 'final' version of this (with the rest of the band I'm in doing their bits) I'll be a bit more anal about the drum sound.   ;)

Pedro

Quote from: "NeiloMac"As far as the drum sound goes...If/when I go back and do a 'final' version of this...I'll be a bit more anal about the drum sound.   ;)
I thought the comment was too much ring already.... :twisted:  ;)

Coat already on....

BTW nice job, thanks for sharing. Look forward to the next version.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

catherine

I could have done without the growly bits, which I think detracted from the track, but otherwise I liked it. Was the guitar solo at around 4 mins played backwards?

NeiloMac

Quote from: "catherine"I could have done without the growly bits, which I think detracted from the track, but otherwise I liked it. Was the guitar solo at around 4 mins played backwards?

Kinda, yeah.  Recorded forwards, then flipped digitally.

NeiloMac

Something new and Led Zeppelin-flavoured - here.

'Tis called Stranded In The Snow, due to the weather and FUBAR'd-by-a-train-derailment public transport here in sunny Stewarton.  Not a death metal vocal in sight.  In fact there's *no* vocals yet, but I'll finish it before the end of the month, as part of the RPM Challenge.