Yellow Magic Orchestra

Started by Pajter, February 02, 2009, 11:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pajter

I actually discovered these heroes not so long ago. I know, shame on me and stuff. But hey, I wasn't even born when these guys were popular.

Anyhoo, just wanted to get some Frosties* opinions on them. Maybe somebody has any good recommendations for me.

Discuss!

rogerg

Pajter

johninblack

Just spent an hour going through the various videos, fantastic. :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

David

Quote from: "Pajter"I actually discovered these heroes not so long ago. I know, shame on me and stuff. But hey, I wasn't even born when these guys were popular.
I was 10 at this time, but never heard of them anyway ;)
Thanks for the links, I knew YMO's keyboardist Ryuichi Sakamoto (I loved the movie soundtrack for "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence") but never saw those vids.
"Rydeen" video surely looks 80's  :lol:

Pajter

I got a "Greatest Hits" cd, and I must say there are some really good songs on there. It will probably take me a while before I'm familiar with their whole catalogue.

Trapezium Artist

I'm old enough to have been an original part-time YMO fan: somewhere I have Solid State Survivor and x-?-Multiplies. The latter has some brilliant (if hugely weird) Snakeman Show comedy sketches interspersed in the music: the one featuring Mr Ohira has been part of my patter ever since (and while of course it could be interpreted as being racist, keep in mind that it's the Japanese taking the piss out of themselves).

For some reason, I recall that one of the albums was dayglow yellow vinyl ... which in a roundabout (ahem) way reminds me that my original copy of Going for the One is on transparent deep red/purple vinyl: anyone else have one of those?

Ryuchi Sakamoto from YMO is well worth looking out; his album "1996" is stellar, and of course he has played a lot with David Sylvian, about whom enough good things cannot be said. Oh dear, I'm old enough to have seen Japan play live too  :shock:

Finally (sorry for the ramble, but once you get an old guy started), for something in a very different Japanese vein, try Pizzicato Five: completely whacked out bubblegum pop, but my kids (and I) love them ...

Nellie

It's in the post!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Nellie"David Sylvian...Konichi Wa!

Two of my top faves from Mr Sylvian are his semi-ambient collaborations with Holger Czukay formerly of Can, namely Plight & Premonition and Flux & Mutability ... both feature prominently on my iPod playlists ...

RacingHippo

Oooh... I love Flux and Mutability. I shall have to look out for P&P!
* May contain nuts.

Onanist

Also, this has knocked one of those nuggets of stored trivia in my brain.

Yukihiro Takahashi was a member of YMO who recorded works with Bill Nelson.

In fact Bill then married his ex-wife Emiko.

I never thought I'd get to use that factoid  :D

Mikey

Saw them at Manchester Apollo, as it was then, about 30 years ago, fun album but about as exciting live as Tangerine Dream, so not very.

Case dismissed, TD played behind a gauze, YMO didn't......15-0 TD
I used to have a signature