Milliontown Cover Questions

Started by eviani, February 10, 2009, 05:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannySoisSage

I'm no keyboarder (although I am tempted by it tbh), but surely half the fun is in trying to create the sounds yourself? Covers aren't about sounding the same, you could make a completely awesome version of Milliontown that doesn't sound anything like Jem's, patch wise.

Especially with someone like Jem who layers sounds like rich tea's for dunking, it sounds like a lot of fun trying to come up with your own interpretations (that you then send to us :mrgreen: )

eviani

Quote from: "DannySoisSage"I'm no keyboarder (although I am tempted by it tbh), but surely half the fun is in trying to create the sounds yourself? Covers aren't about sounding the same, you could make a completely awesome version of Milliontown that doesn't sound anything like Jem's, patch wise.

Especially with someone like Jem who layers sounds like rich tea's for dunking, it sounds like a lot of fun trying to come up with your own interpretations (that you then send to us :mrgreen: )

Well I typed out a huge response and the internets ate it.  Damn.

Okay -

1) Hadn't thought about making my own version of this, although certainly I would like to.  Maybe an all piano/vocals cover of this would be interesting.  I would probably have to cut some parts out but it would be interesting to see how this goes turned into a simpler/shorter song.  Or maybe not.  :-P Who knows!

2) My classical inclination is to learn the original and then create my own cover.  If I can go through and make approximations of what he is playing on keyboards and play with the recording, then from there I can start thinking about how to transfer that onto solo piano.  That's just what I'm used to.

3) Try the keyboards.  Go.  They're powerful.  They will consume you till your dear dead days.  (Okay corny, sorry!)

4) This could turn out to be a fun summer project.  I should probably work on transcribing the song itself first before I start creating patches.  That way I have a visual reference for what part of the song I'm in.  Seeing as how some of you have transcribed some parts already, it makes that portion of the job a tad easier.

Jem

Hello mate, what Fantom have you got?

eviani

Quote from: "Jem"Hello mate, what Fantom have you got?

Oh wow, hey! How are you doing?

I have a Fantom X8.

Jem

okey dokey, couple of extra questions then, do you have the SRX07 expansion board and some midi bass pedals?

I can send you the patch and sample data for when I did the set on the Fantom X7, but you'll need the 2 aforementioned items to play it properly. The organ sounds were off the SRX07 and I used to assign samples to the pedals too to accompany the keyboard playing mayhem.

I've streamlined it down since then into something a little more manageable on the G6, but the X7 set was the Milliontown "full fat" version. You'll be a superstar if you can tame it. I never did!! :lol:

Pajter

After reading that, I wish I had a Fantom. :(

eviani

Quote from: "Jem"okey dokey, couple of extra questions then, do you have the SRX07 expansion board and some midi bass pedals?

I can send you the patch and sample data for when I did the set on the Fantom X7, but you'll need the 2 aforementioned items to play it properly. The organ sounds were off the SRX07 and I used to assign samples to the pedals too to accompany the keyboard playing mayhem.

I've streamlined it down since then into something a little more manageable on the G6, but the X7 set was the Milliontown "full fat" version. You'll be a superstar if you can tame it. I never did!! :lol:

Wow!  :shock:

Check your PM Inbox, Jem.  I just sent you a message.  Thank you!

Bokkie

Quote from: "Pajter"After reading that, I wish I had a Fantom. :(
me too, just to look at. I can't play keys. ;)
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

Tricky

Quote from: "Jem"okey dokey, couple of extra questions then, do you have the SRX07 expansion board and some midi bass pedals?

You just wouldn't get this sort of response anywhere else would you?
 :D
The wonder of the internet
The magic of Jem Godfrey
What a combination  ;)
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

eviani

Quote from: "Tricky"

You just wouldn't get this sort of response anywhere else would you?
 :D
The wonder of the internet
The magic of Jem Godfrey
What a combination  ;)

It is an incredibly generous offer on his part - something I was not expecting at all!  I can't to load this up in the Fantom (when he sends it over) and see how it's all laid out.  I"m missing the SRX07 expansion, but I'll sub in a different organ sound in the meantime since it is a big portion of some of the sounds in the song.

Honestly, I was not expecting that.  I'm slightly overfilled with joy at the moment  :D  It's actually more than slightly...

leelustig

you know while we're on the geeky subject..

theres a chance nobody will care about this, but I feel like blabbing...
i spent a little less than an hour the other day programming a performance on my Fantom, for the one part in BLM that goes before and after the guitar solo (before the 'and you know..' part). When I saw that in the geek report I thought it was so awesome. The way there's a low bass note with the high string holding it together, amazing.
only thing i did differently is instead of programming the bells on the sample pads, I just put them on the highest octave of the keys. So fun to play.
Then I had my Korg next to the Fantom, with the lead patch. I learned the guitar solo and rocked out with both boards at once. Sounded different than the album (of course) but it was pretty kickass. I should try and record it... maybe post it here so I can feel good about myself  :lol:
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

Pedro

This is a forum like no other....  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

eviani

Quote from: "leelustig"you know while we're on the geeky subject..

theres a chance nobody will care about this, but I feel like blabbing...
i spent a little less than an hour the other day programming a performance on my Fantom, for the one part in BLM that goes before and after the guitar solo (before the 'and you know..' part). When I saw that in the geek report I thought it was so awesome. The way there's a low bass note with the high string holding it together, amazing.
only thing i did differently is instead of programming the bells on the sample pads, I just put them on the highest octave of the keys. So fun to play.
Then I had my Korg next to the Fantom, with the lead patch. I learned the guitar solo and rocked out with both boards at once. Sounded different than the album (of course) but it was pretty kickass. I should try and record it... maybe post it here so I can feel good about myself  :lol:

You should! That would be great.  I'm hoping that I can sub the organ sound that he used for something else on teh Fnatom and then go through and discover the patches and how he arranged it.  I'm terribly excited.  I probably won't have time to film a cover of this until the summer since I'm so busy but I'll need to actually learn the monster of a song before I film it...so this is one step forward I think.  I definitely want to see what you have!

eviani

well - bugger!

I downloaded the file, listened to some of the samples on my computer while formatting the PC card...salivated...

More salivating...

Go to load the samples from the card...

NOT ENOUGH SPACE!

Well, darn.  Seems that I need to order some ram.  I forgot that I never upgraded to the max (512MB) when I first got this.

So while some samples loaded up into the Fantom, I can't load up the whole thing until the RAM comes...Friday?

Maybe once all the samples are loaded the other question of "How do I access the patches/performances?" will answer itself.  I moved the FANX2.bin and the FANS.SVD file from the card to the same locations in user memory and I got nothing.

I will report back once this is functioning!

leelustig

sounds like you're takin' care of business there  :lol:
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere