Freeware picture editing app for Mac?

Started by EVP, February 12, 2009, 03:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EVP

Any fellow mac users out there happen to know of any Photoshop like apps
for Mac that are freeware? I want to do something simple with some pictures
I have.

I found GIMP but it runs only with X-11 and Seashore which I can't seem to
get it to work right or I have no idea what I'm doing.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "EVP"Any fellow mac users out there happen to know of any Photoshop like apps
for Mac that are freeware? I want to do something simple with some pictures
I have.

I found GIMP but it runs only with X-11 and Seashore which I can't seem to
get it to work right or I have no idea what I'm doing.

GIMP really is the answer, I'd say, but it's not that hard to install both it and X11 as drag-and-drop disk images. Of course, it depends what kind of Mac you have and what operating system version you're presently running, so if you post more details, I'm sure we'll be able to walk you through it.

There probably are other options and perhaps others will chime in on those, but I've been using GIMP for years and have no need for anything else. I don't know much about Seashore ...

rogerg

have you checked at www.versiontracker.com ?  depending on how much editing, I use ToyViewer all the time, and there's also Chocoflop and Inkscape.

Nellie

Quote from: "rogerg"have you checked at http://www.versiontracker.com ? depending on how much editing, I use ToyViewer all the time, and there's also Chocoflop and Inkscape.
WTF :?
It's in the post!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "rogerg"have you checked at http://www.versiontracker.com ?  depending on how much editing, I use ToyViewer all the time, and there's also Chocoflop and Inkscape.

I don't know about ToyViewer and Chocoflop (well, I do know they have stupid names  :D ), but Inkscape is not an image editor; it's a vector editor. As GIMP is to Photoshop, Inkscape is to Illustrator.

GIMP is the answer, honest injun.

rogerg

my bad about Inkscape, I was working from memory, and on my way out the door.

and I can't say anything about the names, but I use ToyViewer all the for minor adjustments to photos and size/resolution changes.  that's why I asked about what he was doing.  it doesn't do layers, but will do all sorts of other things.

Chocoflop (yeah, I don't understand the name, either...) is light and fast, and may be just what is needed, since Skyflash was having trouble with X11.

Pedro

Quote from: "rogerg"Chocoflop (yeah, I don't understand the name, either...)
Someone playing with the "Photoshop" name, I guess.... :?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "rogerg"Chocoflop (yeah, I don't understand the name, either...)
Someone playing with the "Photoshop" name, I guess.... :?

Err, that'd be a generous interpretation  :D

EVP

Thanks for your replies. The whole X-11 thing is just laziness on my part.
I used it once to run Ardour DAW workstation and it crashed horribly,though I'm sure
it was Ardour and not X-11 at fault. I'm on 10.5.6 so I would assume most
everything will work on it.

I start vacation Saturday(YAAAAAY!!) so I'll have all week to mess around with stuff.
I'm going to add something to my new avatar which I won't give away but most
of you fellow Frosties probably already know what I'm going to do ;)

My cousin and I are always messing around taking pics off the internet and doing
things to them. He has all the goodies to work with but he's on a PC. I think I'll
probably go with GIMP but I'll look at the others as well.

Mouse

Quote from: "EVP"My cousin and I are always messing around taking pics off the internet and doing things to them.

I enjoy doing that as well! For fans of Top Gear...

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=5 ... =552434683

Sorry about the link, I'm still in the dark as to how to get the damn picture to appear here...

Pedro

Quote from: "Mouse"Sorry about the link, I'm still in the dark as to how to get the damn picture to appear here...
Just paste the URL for the picture (http...blah...jpg or whatever), highlight it and click the 'Img' button.
But try not to use stuff that's too huge. :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mouse

Cheers Pedro! I shall give it a try...

Yes! Success!  :mrgreen: