Main Menu

ACID!

Started by Dr.Ripper, February 19, 2009, 05:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Ripper

Does anybody here use Acid Xpress or Acid pro? I just got Acid xpress since I haven't used it since version 5.0 (back when I was a music newbie).

So I just got Acid 7 and reactivated my acid account (it's really a great system- you can publish stuff directly from the program to your profile page on the acid website), and I got all these random loop sample things. So I threw together a song quickly 'cos I had nothing else to do. Me and my friend had quite a few laughs putting this together (there was nothing we put in there that DIDN'T fit!). Note; I didn't record anything, these are all just samples that I put in tracks. Also, I don't know ANYTHING about production or mixing or anything of that nature. I just know to hit the record button when I need too.

Clickity-click for the song. Hit Acid 7 Test 2 and ignore anything else.
whut

sigod

I'm a big fan of ACID (so to speak) and have been using the Pro version for around 5 or 6 years now as my software of choice for songwriting. I can't say with my hand on my heart that it's the most intuitive package to a newcomer but I know it so well now that I think changing to a new system would be a waste of time and good tea.

The supplied loops are very useful (thank you Sony) and although I'm still using Pro 6 but I shall be upgrading to Pro 7 before the year is out. I find ACID to be a really good tool for throwing together rough arrangements if you have a guitar or vocal melody and you want to see how they sound in a mix. The option of varying the instrumentation with unexpected or unusual sound sources is something that I've found ACID does very well. It's also excellent for providing inspiration if the muse has temporarily deserted you

If you really want to go into depth, the editing functions are often a bit fiddly unless you are familiar with the shortcut keys. The plug ins are less than spectacular but perfectly usable for arranging. For recording however, I still use Pro Tools as both the plug in and mastering tools are much more flexible.

Maybe Pro 7 will change my mind.

PS. shouldn't this thread be in the 'gear' section?  ;)

Dr.Ripper

I don't really have the money of the pro skillz for pro tools (Yay college), and even if I did, I'm an amateur musicians at best and  horrible noob at worst. Still, Acid is a lot of fun to use for me. Hopefully I can get an actual recording mic (Shure SM57 I'm thinking) and start recording some of my own stuff for real. Who knows, I may even go big and buy Acid 7 Pro :P.

I only put this thread in Friends of Frost* because I had a song to show off-ish :P.
whut

MaliceX

Apologies for the massive bump but I guess this shall be my first post here.

I personally use ACID Pro 6, and yeah it's a very easy to use music program.  It doesn't have to be used solely as a song creator based on loops.  It's useful in MIDI, chopping/slicing, and multitrack recording.  From what I've demoed in terms of audio software (SONAR, FL, Cubase SL at school), ACID's workflow is quite intuitive and easy to grasp for the complete beginner, and is nice to work with.

After someone (indirectly) introduced me to Frost*, it's a great honor to join this community.

Pedro

Just said "welcome" elsewhere....but you are!

Further up this thread there's a chap who looks like a horse - in his avatar, not (so much) in real life! "sigod" is Simon Godfrey, Jem's brother, and is part of another band called Tinyfish. If you don't already know of them, check them out sometime. :D

As you were....
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

johninblack

Quote from: "sigod"PS. shouldn't this thread be in the 'gear' section?  ;)
Yes, of course you are right. On the other hand.......this is the Frost* Forum where on topic is off topic and all that. So applying the same logic to this would obviously mean it has to stay where it is?
Any more views on this?

Oh, and welcome MaliceX!! Have a good stay. :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

landslug

I think we should grant him the waiver - he did post a song after all, and he is a friend of Frost*   :D

Bokkie

Quote from: "Pedro"Just said "welcome" elsewhere....but you are!

Further up this thread there's a chap who looks like a horse - in his avatar, not (so much) in real life! "sigod" is Simon Godfrey, Jem's brother, and is part of another band called Tinyfish. If you don't already know of them, check them out sometime. :D

As you were....

Me like the "vhf" song a lot. It's a great "driving through the landscape" song. I played it a lot on my tour through Sweden.
Cheers!!
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

sigod

Awww mate. Thanks for giving us a listen.  :D

Both songs were written using ACID by the way...

...see what I did there?

Mouse

Quote from: "sigod"Both songs were written using ACID by the way...

...see what I did there?

A Godfrey returning a thread on topic? What is this...?  :lol: