Were any bees harmed in the making of The Other Me?

Started by Nellie, February 25, 2009, 10:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerFox

Non techies, proceed with caution.

The wasp sounds scattered around the song 'The Other Me' are from one of the samples built into one of the modules in a program called Reason. Quite simply, he's taken the sample, applied some dynamics to it and thrown it in the piece. The beautiful part comes at the very end, which puzzles most, where the wasps sound like they've just entered the Large Hadron Collider and sound like they've melded into each other. This is achieved within the 'Malstrom Graintable Synthesiser'. The term 'graintable' is a malformation (Hah) of two words, granular and wavetable. In short, the synth unit uses both these concepts to generate it's sounds. Granular comes from Granular synthesis, which is the process of taking tiny fragments, or grains, of sound, and repeating them and morphing them. Wavetable synthesis is basically a bunch of waves stuck on a chip, or in this case virtually, and played back.
The ending of The Other Me uses the wave used throughout the piece, called 'Flies' (HAH! They aren't wasps now, are they? >: ) ) and in the last section, the 'Motion', or number of grains of the sound played through, is reduced until it becomes a single, continuous grain, and then the pitch is dropped down a couple octaves. For you kids at home I've replicated the ending for you to listen to. No extra charge.

As a final note, I'm sure this is all very complicated, and I'm almost certain Jem only used that strange morphing effect at the end because he tweaked a knob and it sounded nice.

Bokkie

Ok....thats a complicated story. I only use Protools, so if i take a mini bit of a waveform duplicate it and make sure there's space in between them, than i could create a similar effect? (except for the morphing, phasing ect.).

I found an interesting site about hornets:
http://www.vespa-crabro.com/
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

catherine

I thought I'd heard an interview with Jem where he explained that they were real wasps and how he'd recorded them and treated the sound.

Must've imagined that one. I'll go back to sleep.

Bokkie

Quote from: "catherine"I thought I'd heard an interview with Jem where he explained that they were real wasps and how he'd recorded them and treated the sound.

Must've imagined that one. I'll go back to sleep.

I thought it was a real wasp too, so you can wake up again :)
It turned out to be a sample .....bummer. :(
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

SerFox

Haha, it's just like a magician explaining how a trick works.

I could get in trouble, actually  :lol:

Mouse

Quote from: "SerFox"Haha, it's just like a magician explaining how a trick works.

You better watch out SerFox - Jem could already have dispatched the Frost*ie Goons to your location...  :twisted:

catherine

Never mind that though, did you know that a brightly-coloured fish which bounces along the seabed has been hailed as a new species by scientists - who have dubbed it "psychedelica". There is a rather lovely video of it in action here.

Research published in the US scientific journal Copeia says the fish was spotted by scuba divers off the island of Ambon in eastern Indonesia. It belongs to the frogfish family, but its looks are unique even among its peers, the journal reported. The question with this new discovery is how it went unnoticed for so long.

The new psychedelica frogfish is completely covered in swirling concentric stripes - white and blue on a peach background - radiating out from its aqua-coloured eyes. It has a broad flat face, thick fleshy cheeks and chin, and eyes that look forward like a human's.

The fish was spotted by divers off the coast of Ambon island last year. The divers described it moving away from them in a series of short hops, its pelvic fins pushing it off the sea bed with each bounce. "The overall impression" says the Copeia research paper, was of "an inflated rubber ball bouncing along the bottom".

The species was first discovered almost 20 years ago, but sat on a shelf - wrongly labelled and gathering dust - until this most recent find.

It came to light when the divers were unable to identify the fish from photographs circulated among their colleagues, and sent pictures to a frogfish expert at the University of Washington.

Pedro

Quote from: "Mouse"
Quote from: "SerFox"Haha, it's just like a magician explaining how a trick works.

You better watch out SerFox - Jem could already have dispatched the Frost*ie Goons to your location...  :twisted:
Things are more sophisticated these days....Jem will send Frost*'s legal goons....Eccles, Bloodnock & Bannister Ltd. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

SerFox

Quote from: "Pedro"

Things are more sophisticated these days....Jem will send Frost*'s legal goons....Eccles, Bloodnock & Bannister Ltd. :)

*Readies the custard cream cannon*

Mouse

Quote from: "SerFox"
Quote from: "Pedro"

*Readies the custard cream cannon*

:lol:

He's fallen in the water!

Steve

Quote from: "SerFox"Non techies, proceed with caution.

The wasp sounds scattered around the song 'The Other Me' are from one of the samples built into one of the modules in a program called Reason. Quite simply, he's taken the sample, applied some dynamics to it and thrown it in the piece. The beautiful part comes at the very end, which puzzles most, where the wasps sound like they've just entered the Large Hadron Collider and sound like they've melded into each other. This is achieved within the 'Malstrom Graintable Synthesiser'. The term 'graintable' is a malformation (Hah) of two words, granular and wavetable. In short, the synth unit uses both these concepts to generate it's sounds. Granular comes from Granular synthesis, which is the process of taking tiny fragments, or grains, of sound, and repeating them and morphing them. Wavetable synthesis is basically a bunch of waves stuck on a chip, or in this case virtually, and played back.
The ending of The Other Me uses the wave used throughout the piece, called 'Flies' (HAH! They aren't wasps now, are they? >: ) ) and in the last section, the 'Motion', or number of grains of the sound played through, is reduced until it becomes a single, continuous grain, and then the pitch is dropped down a couple octaves. For you kids at home I've replicated the ending for you to listen to. No extra charge.

As a final note, I'm sure this is all very complicated, and I'm almost certain Jem only used that strange morphing effect at the end because he tweaked a knob and it sounded nice.

That's nuts! Thanks very much for the info, I need to try that out in reason. How did you figure out how he did that? Is this Malstrom Graintable Synthesis majig something that's easily used in Reason?
Suhr Carved Top - Carvin DC727 - Roland Fantom X8 FOR SALE  - Axe-FX Ultra

SerFox

Quote from: "Steve"
Quote from: "SerFox"Non techies, proceed with caution.

That's nuts! Thanks very much for the info, I need to try that out in reason. How did you figure out how he did that? Is this Malstrom Graintable Synthesis majig something that's easily used in Reason?

Easy to use, hard to master. After a lecture on Granular synthesis in my Music Technology class I had a poke with the preset waves and mangled the motion of them, and managed to successfully replicate the much discussed 'Got my jar of wasps right here' sound on the Twang show. :P

wickedwitch

<receives text>
<dusts off wand>
 :twisted:

Pajter

Quote from: "SerFox"-snip-

That is some serious detective work! Kudos to you my friend.

Henceforth you shall be known as Inspector Frost*!

PadumTSH! :D

SerFox

Quote from: "Pajter"
Quote from: "SerFox"-snip-

That is some serious detective work! Kudos to you my friend.

Henceforth you shall be known as Inspector Frost*!

PadumTSH! :D

It'll take more than flattery to learn the secret of how he really plays those widdly solo's on the albums.

I'll give you a hint, you put Pro Tools into Grid mode...