Main Menu

Drum mic's

Started by Bokkie, February 27, 2009, 10:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokkie

I'm in search of a decent tom/snare mic. And i'm stumbling on these three mic's:

akg d40
sennheiser e604
shure sm 57

does anyone has experience with one of those? Cause i don't know which one to purchase.
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

Bokkie

Am i the only one who works with acoustic drums?

RWA

The SM57 is still one of the ultimate snare mics. Have good experience with it. Not recommended for toms I might add.
I used to use the E604 for toms and again good experience. Most important feature of these: they are rock solid! They can handle a stick punch or 2.  :)

So there. So far you're on the right track.  :mrgreen:

Bokkie

Thanks Ronald. my preference goes out to the e604 for toms and indeed the 57 for snare, but that's based on no experience at all, just a wild guess on specs.
Good to hear my thoughts aren't that bad.

Mouse

I agree that the SM57 is the snare mic to use. Mind you, it's the only mic I've used to mic snares...  ;)

Hmm, e604 eh? (Googles) Good Lord, it looks like a security camera! Methinks I'll have a word with the overlords in my college about that...

Bokkie

Quote from: "Mouse"I agree that the SM57 is the snare mic to use. Mind you, it's the only mic I've used to mic snares...  ;)

Hmm, e604 eh? (Googles) Good Lord, it looks like a security camera! Methinks I'll have a word with the overlords in my college about that...

they are very small indeed and they have a clip-on. Ok..ok they are not the 421, but i think they will do.
Love to hear what the "overlords" say about it.

Mouse

Quote from: "Bokkie"Love to hear what the "overlords" say about it.

In all honesty, it'll be nonsensical. If it's anytime around my daily insult time, then the topic will be dismissed immediately and everyone will take the piss out of me for a while. I will try though.  8-)

FantomG

Well for my 2c, I would learn from probably 'THE' best drummer out there at the moment, Gavin Harrison who uses:

Mics:
Bass Drum (SM91)
Bass Drum (Audix D6)
Snare Top (Audix i5)
Snare Bottom (SM57)
Hi Hat (AKG CK391)
Tom1 (Sennheiser 421)
Tom2 (Sennheiser 421)
Tom3 (Sennheiser 421)
Tom4 (Sennheiser 421)
Tom5 (Sennheiser 421)
Overheads (Pair of Schoeps CMC5's)
Close Ambience (Pair of Neumann TLM 103's)
Distant Ambience (Pair of Royer 122's)

He also advises not to use 'clamps' on the rims, as this can affect sound...in the same way as experience has taught him to leave the snare loose in the stand (particularly if a head goes, its easier to replace.

Heavy duty pillow to the front of the bass drum, to help speed, but also will help produce that real punchy sound, particularly with a 'gate' of about 5ms, ...great for keeping  double bass drumming clarity in your recordings...

Also assuming £££ no barrier...as you'll also need a decent mixer too to cover the 16 in this set up !!!

Hope it helps give you some ideas

;oD

Bokkie

Assuming that i'm rich and famous, that would be awesome setup to purchase, but thats not the case. So i have to be creative and do it with second best stuff(or third).

landslug

Until you're rich & famous, you cant go wrong with a box of sm-57s. They're cheap, sound good on just about everything, and sturdy.   :D