Main Menu

The Stick

Started by Sean, January 21, 2009, 02:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

So Jem or anyone else that happens to own a Chapman Stick, would you recommend it. That and what is it like to play, I mean I am interested in one but before shelling out 2 Gs or more I kinna want some first hand reviews from trustworthy sources. I mean I play bass so I'm just curious to know how it differs and more on the style in which you have to play one.
[size=150]Carpe Diem[/size]

RacingHippo

I can't play the beastie myself (my skills being limited to hitting things rather than tapping them), but I know a man who can....
He says this:
Quote from: "My Stick-playing Gigbuddy and fellow member of The Garden of Edam"Sean has asked a very loaded question - suggest he start with the 2 little videos of Greg Howard on http://www.stickenterprises.com.

I came to the Stick as both a bassist and guitarist (with a little keys) - all of these abilities will help - none are pre-requisite though.
For the more common use of Stick - both hands playing all over the fretboard  (tapboard) at the same time, being a piano player has the best advantage for playing bass/chords with left hand and chords/melody with the right.

The big thing is the playing technique - a light tapping motion is all that's required. I've had to really wind in my bass style in terms of force needed to hold down a note as it's too much for the Stick.
Right hand technique is more piano than guitar for chords but as the strings are arranged in 4ths, you can can solo away quite easily, bending, hammering pulling, etc.
A good grasp of chord structure and shapes will help for your RH and once you get used to the bass strings being tuned in 5ths from the centre outward, you'll be thumping out Tony Levin stuff with your LH after a few days!

He's welcome to have a go on mine or I can lend it to you if any of your business trips go near where he is.

You can't say pharaoh than that.
* May contain nuts.

Sean

Very kickass, that helps alot! I have been playing bass for a while and I'm pleased to know that I can transfer the taping technique rather easily. The only question is, your left hand is more like a piano, whats the complexity of the chords you can create? Oh and thanks for info by the way!
[size=150]Carpe Diem[/size]

Jem

The Stick, for me at least, makes a load of sense. I play it on my lap though, the same as I play guitar. I think mine is matched reciprocal tuning, although I'm not entirely sure.

Bare in mind, I'm not formally trained so it's all shapes to me.

Either way, I've found my instrument as far as things with strings on goes.

I lent it to a guitarist mate of mine while I went away for a week in November and he couldn't get on with it at all.

As for me, I'm placing an order for a second one next week. The current one shall appear on the Frost DVD and quite possibly on some new Frost reports before that.  :D

Glorious thing.

Pedro

Quote from: "Jem"As for me, I'm placing an order for a second one next week.
What will be different about the second one (apart from being all white of course ;) )?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Pedro"
What will be different about the second one (apart from being all white of course ;) )?
Why, is there something wong with the current one?
* May contain nuts.

johninblack

More strings and a midi pickup I bet. :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Pedro

Quote from: "johninblack"
lol yeah, more strings than you can shake a stick at....  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

johninblack

Probably more than that!!!! :mrgreen:
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mouse

He's going to weld the two together into a V shape thing, then look ULTRA-COOL in my opinion.  8-)

Bert

Blimey  :shock:

A plethora of strings ?  :D
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

johninblack

Quote from: "Bert"

Blimey  :shock:

A plethora of strings ?  :D
Well, our Jem plays keyboards as if he's blessed with two pairs of hands so why not the stick? :mrgreen:
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

jymf

I used to play the stick, but sold mine because I had no use for it.  Now I could do with one the price has gone through the roof.  Mega-expensive.

But, to answer your question, it makes a lot more sense IF you're a keyboard player.  I'm a guitarist so it doesn't.  Essentially, it was a guitar designed by, built by and built for keyboard players.  So the tapping and placement of notes is more logical if you can play the keyboard - not like fretting up a chord on a guitar.

Moreover, sticks are more like 2 instruments stuck together.  So one set of strings will go to one output and the other to another.  If you look at a stick face on, just draw a line down he middle and that's the separation.  Each hand plays a separate set, thus one hand is playing the bass line (for example) and the other is playing the melody.

For me though, I spent ages trying to get it.  Got absolutely nowhere for ages, then one day it just suddenly clicked.  Apparently this is a common issue for guitarists since your approach to your instrument is different from a keyboard player.  Having said that, keyboard players get it quicker because of the individual and often different hand movements and playing techniques.

Never understood why bass players use them primarily.  Also look at the Magatar and the Warr Guitar (as used by Trey Gunn of King Crimson).

There are some vids on the official site - http://www.stick.com/ .

Wish you luck with it.

PS  - If anyone is selling one cheap - PLEASE LET ME KNOW!