Let's start a wine club!

Started by Nellie, March 03, 2009, 06:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nellie

After much discussion and limited enthusiasm, it has been suggested that we start a wine club.
Personally, I would suggest that suggestions be made as to the format of the wine club. Whether someone suggests a wine that we all go and drink a bottle or we could discuss the wines that we like/don't like? (a bit like a forum :roll: )

I've just opened a bottle of Dino Sangiovese di Romagne 2008 which I shall be enjoying with some lightly salted pretzel sticks. Anyone care to join me? 8-)
It's in the post!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Nellie"After much discussion and limited enthusiasm, it has been suggested that we start a wine club.
Personally, I would suggest that suggestions be made as to the format of the wine club. Whether someone suggests a wine that we all go and drink a bottle or we could discuss the wines that we like/don't like? (a bit like a forum :roll: )

I've just opened a bottle of Dino Sangiovese di Romagne 2008 which I shall be enjoying with some lightly salted pretzel sticks. Anyone care to join me? 8-)

A bit of both, surely: some recommendations of recently-drunk bottles, likely still be available in yer average supermarkets might be a place to start. It's always nigh-on impossible to know what to pick out just looking at the serried ranks of labels ...

I always appreciated the model used by Jacques Wein Depot in Germany: all bottles they sell are available to be tasted, right there in the shop. That way, you could taste a (good) few bottles you think you might like, find some you really do like, then buy a case or two, perhaps several bottles of each, confident in the knowledge that you'd like them when you got them home.

Is there such a chain in the UK? Or would that be tempting serious fate?  :shock:

tomskerous

I'm on a nicely-not-too-chilled The Wine Society's own-label White Burgundy at the moment, which will keep me going until it's time to eat the pasta, after which I'll be finish a bottle of 2004 Cotes du Rhone Villages Laudun from Chateau Courac.

They both taste of...wine.

On thursday afternoon, I shall be going to Vinoteca in Smithfield Market London, one of my favourite wine bars (even if it does get a bit embarrasingly busy of an evening) which is the first place I've tasted many great things. Including Maury - a red wine that goes so well with chocolate I've ordered a whole case of it in bond.
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Pedro

A whole case of chocolate....now you're talking! ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Nellie

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"I always appreciated the model used by Jacques Wein Depot in Germany: all bottles they sell are available to be tasted, right there in the shop. That way, you could taste a (good) few bottles you think you might like, find some you really do like, then buy a case or two, perhaps several bottles of each, confident in the knowledge that you'd like them when you got them home.

Is there such a chain in the UK? Or would that be tempting serious fate? :shock:
Magestic Wine used to do just that but I'm sure that would 've stopped in recent times. :(
@Tom, did you get your carrot recipe?
It's in the post!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Nellie"
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"I always appreciated the model used by Jacques Wein Depot in Germany: all bottles they sell are available to be tasted, right there in the shop. That way, you could taste a (good) few bottles you think you might like, find some you really do like, then buy a case or two, perhaps several bottles of each, confident in the knowledge that you'd like them when you got them home.

Is there such a chain in the UK? Or would that be tempting serious fate? :shock:
Magestic Wine used to do just that but I'm sure that would 've stopped in recent times. :(
@Tom, did you get your carrot recipe?

True enough, my local Majestic does a bit of this, but by no means everything in the shop is open at any given time. It's possible to get well and truly sloshed at Jacques, although they also provide spittoons for those who want to remain clear-headed. Always a good test of your addiction ...  ;)

Bokkie

I prefer  wine out of the French supermarkets. Cause that means i'm on hollyday  ;)
I like the 10 liter boxes.
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

tomskerous

You know what, I'm really warming to this as an idea. Let's not go mad with Majestic etc, but I'll have a nose at some wine you could get in a supermarket and see if I can come up with some nice contrasting combinations.
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Bert

Quote from: "tomskerous"You know what, I'm really warming to this as an idea. Let's not go mad with Majestic etc, but I'll have a nose at some wine you could get in a supermarket and see if I can come up with some nice contrasting combinations.

That would be great  :)
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

rogerg

and we need proper information about which wine goes with which biscuit.

Bert

Quote from: "rogerg"and we need proper information about which wine goes with which biscuit.

Not too mention cheese  :D
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Geetar

Quote from: "rogerg"and we need proper information about which wine goes with which biscuit.

Vintage champagne- usually comes with its own "biscuit", and is therefore automatically Frost*-approved!

Other than that, a Sauternes dessert wine would be a fair bet.

We're on a $10 bottle of Red Diamond merlot from Washington State right now- one of the better semi-cheap wines here, I reckon.

As for cheese, I had a bit of Canadian Cheddar with it, on water biscuits.
This space for sale.

rogerg

Quote from: "Geetar"

Vintage champagne- usually comes with its own "biscuit", and is therefore automatically Frost*-approved!

We're on a $10 bottle of Red Diamond merlot from Washington State right now- one of the better semi-cheap wines here, I reckon.

Canadian Cheddar?!?!  need me to send you some Cabot Cheddar from Vermont?

Brom

I like wine made from malted barley and hops.  :D

Honestly tho' I do like a glass or two of the old fermented grape juice, but have not done any intensive studying only plenty of glugging, maybe this would be a good starting point.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Geetar

Quote from: "rogerg"
Quote from: "Geetar"

Canadian Cheddar?!?!  need me to send you some Cabot Cheddar from Vermont?

I've been getting the Boar's Head Canadian for a while now, so it's only laziness on my part, rather than a desire to prop up the Canadian cheese industry. Having said that, outside of the Cabot stuff  most major US cheese producers (not the craft guys obviously) are pretty crap. Why is Vermont so different from the other states when it comes to food ?- even Cabot's cottage cheese is completely different from every one else's.

Anyway, can you mail cheese as a private citizen, or do Homeland Security get their panties in a bunch?
This space for sale.