Here we go people be the first to get a peek!!

Started by Twang, March 03, 2009, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

F**k me !!!  :D  £7.99.  :D

Still bought it though
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

MikeEvs

Got my copy lunch time and chuffed to see my work in print,  Page 4 full page pic of Rachel, cropped version of same pic on page 7, Band shot of The Reasoning on page 13 and another pic of Rachel on page 34 :D

Bert

Quote from: "MikeEvs"Got my copy lunch time and chuffed to see my work in print,  Page 4 full page pic of Rachel, cropped version of same pic on page 7, Band shot of The Reasoning on page 13 and another pic of Rachel on page 34 :D

That's so cool Mike  :D You must be really chuffed.
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

MikeEvs

Quote from: "Bert"
Quote from: "MikeEvs"Got my copy lunch time and chuffed to see my work in print,  Page 4 full page pic of Rachel, cropped version of same pic on page 7, Band shot of The Reasoning on page 13 and another pic of Rachel on page 34 :D

That's so cool Mike  :D You must be really chuffed.

I am indeed :D

Twang

Now you mention it £7.99 is damn steep!! Considering that  Classic Rock Mag is what £4.25 and it's lay out and pages are the same.

Damn you Future Publishing that's Proggist!!

I ummm managed to blag a  copy! :roll:

Philadelphia

Very cool, Mike!!! (:-D
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

Mouse

Damnation! I forgot it was out today!  :shock:  I'll try and pick one up tomorrow.

JamesA

It was not on sale yesterday from where I normally buy Classic Rock.  Will have to take out a mortgage and go and buy it in town at lunchtime.

I've already read reviews of the Panic Room/Jump and The Pineapple Thief/Narration gigs at The Peel anyway  ;)

Renters

8 squid is taking the piss but I did promise myself one and will get one today.  May be the first and last though!  They do mention my boys on the front cover though, and most of my favourite faves (DT, G, Y, PF) so got to give it a go.
That's jazz.  Jazz is weird...

Pedro

Cover disk was a strange mixture I thought.
In my humble opinion The Reasoning's "Dark Angel" was head and shoulders above the others with Panic Room in second place.
I'll listen to the others again (I'm not saying they are awful - just not what I would choose to represent the "prognosis" for the genre) but I don't think the disk is a "keeper".

Looking forward to the next issue - I reckon reader submissions (reviews, letters, photos, etc.) might possibly influence the content. Big articles on other bands like Arena, IQ, etc. and artists like Jem, JM, JJ (The Chronicles of Jowitt), Clive Nolan, etc. etc. would sit equally alongside the Pink Floyd's and Marillion's articles I reckon.

I also suspect that the editors of such publications would like nothing more than to get some already written stuff they could just "plug in" to the next issue(s).
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Brom

Quote from: "Pedro"Cover disk was a strange mixture I thought.
In my humble opinion The Reasoning's "Dark Angel" was head and shoulders above the others with Panic Room in second place.
I'll listen to the others again (I'm not saying they are awful - just not what I would choose to represent the "prognosis" for the genre) but I don't think the disk is a "keeper".

Exactly what I was thinking. I have had much better prog themed CDs off Classic Rock Mag in the past.

I flicked through the pages last night and was pleased to see lots of text and not much padding, except perhaps for the full page covers of Genesis Albums. Was'nt quite sure of the reasons behind that... I'll have to read!
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Pedro

Have to agree about the album covers - seems like a bit of overkill but at the same time it does show how the covers "progressed" so not just "filler".
It also got another recent 'celeb' into the mag with Phil Jupitus' mug shot.
I guess we can expect further such items (the Yes albums would be an obvious choice) because (I assume) to an editor they are great "stand-bys" to fill the gaps between covers.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

catherine

Just bought my copy from WHS in Newmarket.

"Are you buying that for someone else?" asked the woman on the till.
"No, it's for me" I replied.
"Good for you!" she said. Apparently I'm the first woman to have bought one!

JamesA

Just had a glance through and there does seem to be a good amount to read, which is a positive thing.

Not convinced by the content of the cover disc, as others have said.

Already own a number of the albums being reviewed.

Had already written my own reviews on 5 out of 7 of the gigs they cover  :lol:  Still, always nice to read what a real reviewer has to say on things.

Twang

I'm pretty sure that the reason for the choice of music on the CD is this. All the bands gave tracks for free. Usually the bands are paid for the tracks. The Reasoning & Panic Room maybe not but the rest defo.

I think it's a budget thing.