30 years seems like yesterday...

Started by sawtooth, June 02, 2012, 10:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawtooth

I must be well into my midlife crisis by now...

I'm helping to plan a reunion of my very first band which existed for 3 or so years, started when we were taking our A levels. We went under the snappy monika of 'Sosostris' (a character from the T.S. Elliot poem The Wasteland).
And yes, we were that pretentious :D

You can see what we looked like at http://www.theprofessors.net/sosostris.html - I'm the pillock hiding in the middle of the back row of the first picture. I encourage you to have a good old laugh at our expense - we were very very green behind the ears. The audio clips sound so sphincter-clenchingly, cheesy and naff now, it sets my teeth on edge to hear my embarrassing keys and the general tuning and timing problems  -  especially since we've all improved a lot both in musical terms and quality of our gear since then. Honest.

But that's OK. We were so young and naive ;)

Anyway, I've always said that I'd never look back musically, what was in the past belongs there and all that....but the guitarist (who's now a Professor and lives in the States) is back in Blighty for a month or so, a chance meeting through Facebook with the drummer who I haven't seen for 30 years, AND the fact we're all chundering up to the mystical age of 50, has prompted us to arrange one-off reunion at the end of June. Everyone came round to my house last week and we had a quick run-through of the old songs which went surprisingly well to say we hadn't played them for well over a quarter of a century. The songs sounded actually quite good now that we have decent equipment and we've leaned how to tune the instruments....
And the best thing was we all really got on well. They always were a great bunch of geezers and it's good to see that time hasn't changed us for the worse, apart from our hair and waistlines.

So I've booked our old school theatre for a day (for the extra nostalgia factor), begged and borrowed gear for our bass player (who sold his gear when the band split up) and we are going to make some noise for friends and family. And consume a large quantity of alchohol.

Whether we have any friends or family left by the end of the day will be a fair reflection on how things go I guess..... :D

fitzy

Ha!ha!thats sounds like a really enjoyable day out :) Hope you,ve a great time,and lots of laughs!
M,lady....please come down off that roof!!

Mikey

Quote from: "The Professors"But one thing can be said of their music. If nothing else, it is original and the band guarantees that you will have heard nothing like it before.
Would that be one of them euphemisms?  ;)
I used to have a signature

sawtooth

Quote from: "Mikey"
Quote from: "The Professors"But one thing can be said of their music. If nothing else, it is original and the band guarantees that you will have heard nothing like it before.
Would that be one of them euphemisms?  ;)

Probably  :D
Our actual saving grace was that once heard, we were never forgotten. But not always for the right reasons, bless us....

sawtooth

Well it actually happened - in the theatre at 9, finish setting up at 11.30, rehearsals till 2pm and 2 hours to play and record 5 songs! :)

We'd have done all that in 1/2 hour 30 years ago.......

On your left, 6th form student prog, on your right middle aged buffoonery:

Mikey

Rock on & Well done, at least you made it
I used to have a signature

RacingHippo

I see the mixing desk has been replaced by a laptop.
Modern times, eh?
* May contain nuts.

sawtooth

Quote from: "RacingHippo"I see the mixing desk has been replaced by a laptop.
Modern times, eh?
It was only there to capture a stereo mic mix. On hindsight, a channel per instrument would have been better as the stereo feed was a little, er, guitar-heavy and vocal-light.
Now who'd have thought that would happen?.........  ;)

JimD

I am guessing the guitarist hasn't got the Ibanez Firebird copy any more?
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

sawtooth

Quote from: "JimD"I am guessing the guitarist hasn't got the Ibanez Firebird copy any more?

I dont think so! As he'd popped over from the States for our little reunion, he had to borrow a tasty selection of guitars from our drummer's daughter. I think his favoured axe across the pond is a grey sunburst Les Paul: