Main Menu

Update

Started by Jem, May 11, 2009, 10:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jem

Some interesting points there chaps, I'll take all that onboard and have a rethink.

Pajter

Quote from: "Jem"Some interesting points there chaps, I'll take all that onboard and have a rethink.

Have some alcohol with that. Always helps me think. :lol:

ChrisX

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Speaking of great little recordshops in Baltimore, do you mean The Sound Garden on Thames St down on Fell's Point near the harbour? Great place; I bought Joanna Newsom's "Ys" (as a CD!  :lol: ) there last year on a business trip ...

Honestly, I am not entirely sure wether I bought it there or at another shop somewhere in the greater B'almer area. Up to last year a very good friend of mine lived in downtown Baltimore. I got to know him in the pre-internet era (somewhere in the early 90s) because me and a friend of mine loved his brother's band, Iluvatar. A correspondence was struck up and in 1995 he sent the message "If you ever come over to the US you can stay with me". And that's what we did in 1996 and then in 1997, 2000, 2002, 2005 and 2008. Our friend became very close to my friend's sister and has made the big step of coming to Holland to live here. He has just recently been given the official status of 'resident alien'. If all goes well (finding a steady job etc etc.) he will get a permanent status in 3 years.

So, I won't be coming back to Balitimore soon I guess but have to say that Every time we trawled basically every record shop in the Baltimore area but The Sound Garden is the coolest shop in town and certainly not little. I have spent hours and hours there.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

Gandalf1986

You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

Pedro

Looks like you can has enough cheezburgers already....how abouts an zalad?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "ChrisX"Honestly, I am not entirely sure wether I bought it there or at another shop somewhere in the greater B'almer area. Up to last year a very good friend of mine lived in downtown Baltimore. I got to know him in the pre-internet era (somewhere in the early 90s) because me and a friend of mine loved his brother's band, Iluvatar. A correspondence was struck up and in 1995 he sent the message "If you ever come over to the US you can stay with me". And that's what we did in 1996 and then in 1997, 2000, 2002, 2005 and 2008. Our friend became very close to my friend's sister and has made the big step of coming to Holland to live here. He has just recently been given the official status of 'resident alien'. If all goes well (finding a steady job etc etc.) he will get a permanent status in 3 years.

Interesting: as noted elsewhere on the forum, I'll be moving to the Netherlands in a couple of months and it does sound like there's an interesting prog scene and prog connections.

ChrisX

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Interesting: as noted elsewhere on the forum, I'll be moving to the Netherlands in a couple of months and it does sound like there's an interesting prog scene and prog connections.

1. Moving: permanently or just temporarily? Which part of the Netherlands?

2. Progscene in Holland: well, it used to be bigger, there used to be more venues that would book bands but nowadays it just seems it is mostly to be found at a venue called De Boerderij in Zoetermeer. This is mostly due to the guy who books the bands there who is a big prog fan himself (close ties to IQ) and who used to book bands at a club called De Nieuwe Pul in Uden.

Good thing though is that the Netherlands have very good travel connections to the UK, Belgium, France and Germany. I for one live quite close to the German border, about 1,5 hours drive from the central area called The Ruhrgebiet which has some of Germany major cities. When I go to gigs I always check wether they also play somewhere in that area because for me that is much closer then Zoetermeer (+ 2 hours drive).
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "ChrisX"1. Moving: permanently or just temporarily? Which part of the Netherlands?

2. Progscene in Holland: well, it used to be bigger, there used to be more venues that would book bands but nowadays it just seems it is mostly to be found at a venue called De Boerderij in Zoetermeer. This is mostly due to the guy who books the bands there who is a big prog fan himself (close ties to IQ) and who used to book bands at a club called De Nieuwe Pul in Uden.

Good thing though is that the Netherlands have very good travel connections to the UK, Belgium, France and Germany. I for one live quite close to the German border, about 1,5 hours drive from the central area called The Ruhrgebiet which has some of Germany major cities. When I go to gigs I always check wether they also play somewhere in that area because for me that is much closer then Zoetermeer (+ 2 hours drive).

1. Wassenaar, so cycling (drunk, as we've established elsewhere  :D ) distance from Zoetermeer and De Boerderij. Didn't know of the IQ link: sounds great (but where's my pre-ordered copy of Frequency, eh chaps?).

1b. Nominally permanently, although I've learned in my career never to say never again. After all, it's only 5 years since I moved back to the UK after many years abroad and into a permanent job at that  :shock:   (Not that I've been made redundant or anything; just moving to do something new out of choice).

Still, sounds like even though Holland is relatively small, there's lot to get out and see, even if my search for mountains will be fruitless. Then again, Zoetermeer also has a bloody great indoor ski slope, so ...  :D

Pajter

Zoetermeer is a far drive for me too. I live in the north of Limburg.

Geetar

Quote from: "Pajter"I live in the north of Limburg.

Ah, you're a Limburger.
This space for sale.

Pajter

HAH!

Nah I smell nice and flowery. :)

Bokkie

Hey Pajter,
I was wondering: how do you pronounce your user name? Is it like they do in jiskefet?
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

Pajter

Ehrm, maybe. I've never seen a lot of Jiskefet (unfortunately). A friend of mine who watched all episodes calls me Pajter, so it could be. :P

But it's pronounced like "pie". It's how you would pronounce my name in English: Pieter.

Does that make sense? I don't know, but I'm still keeping my name. :twisted:

edit: is it this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSURKN-B_Ho It sounds a bit like it. Hella funny. :lol:

This one's still my favorite though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvvefV8NISY

(sorry to all non-Dutchies who don't understand all this crap :lol: )

Ecosse

Mmmm, double CD & DVD......

It's got as much promise as an unopened 12 pack of Tunnocks Tea Cakes...

How about also doing the same as EIMA and offering a signed version too? I know NDV won't be able to sign it, but I for one would be very happy having a signed copy from the rest of the guys to put on the shelf beside my signed EIMA & signed gig CD :D
| Chris |
Twitter

UJ99

Quote from: "Ecosse"Mmmm, double CD & DVD......

It's got as much promise as an unopened 12 pack of Tunnocks Tea Cakes...

How about also doing the same as EIMA and offering a signed version too? I know NDV won't be able to sign it, but I for one would be very happy having a signed copy from the rest of the guys to put on the shelf beside my signed EIMA & signed gig CD :D

I'd second that - that show was tremendous, and I'd be terribly disappointed to only have half of it. I can't wait to buy a signed double CD, DVD package, and get a few more of those qualidee RoSFest t-shirts!