any prog songwriters out there... well. clearly.

Started by drblowthingsup, May 11, 2009, 11:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drblowthingsup

thought id seek a little advice from someone who is experienced in the world of prog songwriting. :)
i made an intro for a song and it sounded like the beginning of something HUGE so i made a bet that i could make it longer than 23 minutes and 10 seconds. i got to about ten minutes and iv hit a wall, i think i could end it there but i really want to make it REALLY long. lol
do you think its foolish to deliberately TRY and make a long song?

Pedro

I don't think it's foolish to try but it might be misguided to *force* it?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

SerFox

Without any further information all I can say is take the Wonderland approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZprKMB1 ... annel_page

Leave it for a while, come back to it, listen to it with fresh ears, consider any part of it that could be causing you to stop, a chord which is difficult to lead anywhere with the tone of the piece, a rhythm that doesn't quite fit, anything.

Geetar

The best songs in any genre tell a story.

How long is the story you're telling?
This space for sale.

gr8gonzo

I think it's ok to set out to make an epic as long as the result doesn't include long passages of wasted time and unnecessary repetition.  Make it count.  Don't go for length if the material doesn't call for it.  I've heard 8 minute songs that were truly over in 4.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Gman

As John M and Jem noted during their radio interview (in a Frost report somewhere) - it's all about "songs".

I've just started writing more proggy stuff (with my dear other half) and we have a rough plan for a long song...no idea how long it will be, but it will only be as long as it needs to, to get the story across. I reckon it will probably hit 15 mins.

drblowthingsup

so far theres no repeats in it an i have managed to knock down another 3 minutes XD goin quite well right now :) hopefully it doesnt sound too forced, il take your advice and come back to it to see if it still sounds good
thanks!

Jem

Can I just say how much I love your name.  :D Marvellous stuff sir.

We haven't had some a good name since HiHatma Gandhi.

drblowthingsup

aw wow
epic thanks iv only been on here for a day :)
i feel all proud of myself now lol

i deleted 4 minutes of song the other day but i like to think of it as pruning rather than scrapping

maybe il be there by christmas...

new section! power to the disciples of 11/8!

Sean

Well how advanced is your recording and editing software? To add more of full bodied sound I love sampling sounds from everyday things and putting them in where I see fit. When you get stuck another good thing to is go and listen to some music that inspires ideas. This way when you feel ready you can come back to it and with fresh ears and ideas. But the bottom line with song writing in my head is it shouldn't be a chore, you should have fun writing songs.
[size=150]Carpe Diem[/size]

drblowthingsup

well i dont have any, really. just guitar pro so anything i do is just glorified MIDI at the moment, im only 19 so i cant afford any kind of fancy stuff right now im just planning to leech of the recources of huddersfield uni in september.

Dodie

Quote from: "drblowthingsup"im just planning to leech of the recources of huddersfield uni in september.

Hey, another Frostie in Huddersfield!

I didn't study here, but live in the area now. But the trouble with leeching gear as a student is that when you're a graduate the gear suddently dries up! And for some reason the wife and kids prefer having a roof over their head and food to eat, which means that Dad doesn't get to play with prog songwriting anymore. I never did finish my trilogy of spiritual conceptual prog-rock pop songs. Ah, well, those were the days...

Good luck with the course.

Cheers,

David

Geetar

Quote from: "Dodie"I never did finish my trilogy of spiritual conceptual prog-rock pop songs

The loss to the world is incalculable.
This space for sale.

RacingHippo

Quote from: "drblowthingsup"...planning to leech of the recources of huddersfield uni in september.
Eh up, lad.
Are thee coming to t' Leeds gig?
Me sen (from Bratford) an' me mate from Keighley 'll be there.
* May contain nuts.

SerFox

Quote from: "drblowthingsup"well i dont have any, really. just guitar pro so anything i do is just glorified MIDI at the moment, im only 19 so i cant afford any kind of fancy stuff right now im just planning to leech of the recources of huddersfield uni in september.

I'm 20 and I have Reason 4.0, Logic Studio, several MIDI keyboards, two guitars and a Fantom X8. I'll not mention the Kaoss pad or the Tenori-On though. Or the Macbook Pro.

Ah employment has served me well.

In summary: Job = Stuff. :)