any prog songwriters out there... well. clearly.

Started by drblowthingsup, May 11, 2009, 11:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catherine

I've just about got the hang of dancing in 7/4 and 5/4 (not at the same time!) after years of practice.

(Pedro, what ARE you doing up at that time in the morning? Late night? Early riser? Or have you moved to a different time zone?)

Pedro

Quote from: "catherine"(Pedro, what ARE you doing up at that time in the morning? Late night? Early riser? Or have you moved to a different time zone?)
I think it might be the point in time for my soon to be made redundant brain where the brave face meets the inner scream....going over that bump seems to wake me up....a full bladder spurs the bod into making the trek through the temperature differential twixt bed and bathroom and, on the return to said mossy couch, the iPod touch says "here be forums...check them".... ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

catherine

Ah dear, the "men and bladders" problem is one that has ruined many a night's sleep for me. Once I'm woken in the middle of the night I find it really hard to go back to sleep again. The best thing, I find, is to reduce my husband's fluid intake in the evenings, so I sit there saying "No, you really DON'T need anything else to drink..."

Mouse

I'm a simple sort of rodent, so my favourite time sig is 4/4. Nearly every Pink Floyd song seems to be in 4/4 and that's good enough for me.  8-)

7/8 is pretty cool, too. :)

FantomG

I have a huge list of songs in odd time that I listen too..an like songs that have different parts in different times..like Stranger in You Soul - Transatlantic...and I particularly enjoy them when they creep into mainstream listening and the song becomes very accessable, like Sting's Seven Days in 5/4 and Gabriel's Solsbury Hill, or Genesis' twist to parts of  "Turn it on again" in 13/8

For playing, classics, like "Apocalypse in 9/8" by Genesis, towards the end of Supper's Ready...took me a while to master.....and one I really have to concentrate on is Yes' Long Distance Runaround....must be a 'brain wiring' thang...

I've also been getting to grips with poly-rhythms ...so playing something like 7/8 over 5/4 ... or 11/8 over 3/4 ...get some interesting things happening...hahaha

I also enjoy jamming in 19/16, after watching Mike Portnoy's Liquid Drum Theater DVD
(altogether now 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a 1 2 3 )   :lol:

catherine

I think it was Devo that got me into the odd time signatures as an impressionable teenager. For example, Blockhead where the verses are in 11/4, Jocko Homo with lots of 7/4. And I haven't looked back!

Brom

I wonder what a bookmakers favourite time sig is?? any bets??
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Pedro

Quote from: "Brom"I wonder what a bookmakers favourite time sig is?? any bets??
It probably all sounds flat to them. I doubt anything we've heard'll get them going.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RacingHippo

My first encounter with odd time sigs was when I was about 14... *ponders* ... yep, 1980, when Duke was released.
I absolutely loved Turn it On Again. (And I'm completely with FantomG about odd sigs sneaked into the mainstream - Seven Days is one of my favourite songs for just that reason!)
Naturally, I learned the drum part to that (despite not having a kit at the time), whilst everyone else at school thought it was crap because you couldn't dance to it  :roll:

It was only about a year later that I first played something in 7/8 - on the euphonium in the Sally Army band I was in at the time. I loved it :) Unfortunately most of the old codgers couldn't get their heads around it, so it was never performed, but it gave me a taste.

Prog followed  :mrgreen:
* May contain nuts.

vocalnick

I still have an awesome 15/8 chorus in the Nick-archives which I'm determined to use somewhere.

Like all the best odd-time stuff, I didn't realise it was odd until I counted it back.
words that look like sound effects: twit, blog

rogerg

drblowthingsup

ahaaawww!
its amazin like prog jazz!
do you mind if i download it? i wont owe you money or something will i? lol
what do you teach? i forget people on here all have jobs an stuff it all seems so far away for me lol

rogerg

download away!  glad you like it!

I teach middle school music; kids age 10-14.  I do all the choruses, and the general music/theory composition.

and I always play them some Frost*!

gr8gonzo

that's very, very cool, rog.  you continue to surprise and impress me.  and you're a nice guy, as well.  well done.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

rogerg

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"that's very, very cool, rog.  you continue to surprise and impress me.  and you're a nice guy, as well.  well done.

why, thankee, kind sir!!  /bow

here's some slightly newer things

(guess I should post these down below, but what the hay...)   8-)