Thoughts on Crowdfunding?

Started by gr8gonzo, June 27, 2015, 02:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

Mr. Jem,

Having read your blog post about the need to fund expenses such as mastering, etc., and the desire to enlist a possibly pricey graphic artist for the artwork, I was curious of your view of crowdfunding. Thus far, I've not seen you request a dime from anyone and it could be that you prefer it that way, but I'm sure you must know you have a funding source in your Frosties who would gladly throw a few coins in the jar to help things along and to contribute in some small way. You've always been more than generous with your fans. Would it be strange for you to have us reciprocate?
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Rook

Heck, that was part of my impetus in ordering the Rockford Files dvd - to help fund 6MIS.

Mikey

Maybe an opportunity for some new merch, there's plenty of fandad's out here
I used to have a signature

Mooncat

Had mentioned this to Jem a while back as a way of funding Frost* projects - albums, DVDs etc.
At the time he was a bit reluctant, partially because of the way the deal with InsideOut was structured - releasing stuff early/exclusively to funders was problematic (as anyone who recalls the IB 'Tall Ships' release may testify) and also because it meant there was additional pressure on getting stuff out (exclusive content like Frost* reports etc).
As we know from the Rockfield DVD interviews - 7/7 doesn't pay the bills so whilst many of us would be only too willing to throw some money Frost*wards if it helped, I think the reality is the complications would prove to much of a minefield (that's my opinion BTW not a statement from Jem).

With Frost* newly re-activated though, some new merch to tide us over wouldn't go amiss  ;) ;) ;)
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

gr8gonzo

As a proper fool, I would willingly send him money with no promises of anything in return, no advance sneak peeks, no bonus material, no "Dance, monkey!" pressure. I just want to fund projects I believe in. I require no reward, nor even a complementary copy of the album. I'd still additionally pay for at least one copy, but it needs to be made before I can do that. And if for some reason, it doesn't get made, I'd be content having invested in it regardless. With that mindset, I see no conflict. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Bring it.  8)

lyn

You are not. Been there, done that, because it's worth it. To me. And my bestest mates.

x

Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

Mooncat

I agree totally - I think many of us would like to help in such a way, even without the whistles and bells - but ultimately even the 'no pressure' option brings some pressure, even if it's only sub-consciously, to deliver for the people that have put their faith in you. :-\

JakeWorrell

I too would be willing to donate to the cause with the disclaimer that nothing may come of it. I agree with everyone above in that I want support the projects I believe in. As nice as it is to have signed copies of Milliontown and EIMA the main reason I bought them when I already have the unsigned versions was because I wanted to support the band further.

unfortunately, politically it could be a disaster. We, the more dedicated of the Frost*ies would be able to be understanding and grown up about it, but I have seen crowdfunding projects where people have become incredibly vitriolic when things have been delayed or even haven't turned out to be the miracles that they expected. It might be impossible to avoid that.
"The longer the note, the more dread."

Mooncat

Good point Jake.
I know of several projects where funders have called foul and basically rounded on the artist as trying to scam them out of money when deadlines etc are missed. Like you say,  the inhabitants of this 'ere board would be forgiving enough but as we saw with the Youtube Rockfield leak, there are also some less principled people out there who may well be in the majority when compared to the folks on here.

Sad, but I'm sure the guvnor has it all mapped out.............

Mikey

Quote from: JakeWorrell on June 30, 2015, 02:00:17 PM
unfortunately, politically it could be a disaster. We, the more dedicated of the Frost*ies would be able to be understanding and grown up about it, but I have seen crowdfunding projects where people have become incredibly vitriolic when things have been delayed or even haven't turned out to be the miracles that they expected. It might be impossible to avoid that.
There have been dissenters along the way without shelling out up front, I suspect Jem may not want to go that way, hence my merch ploy
I used to have a signature

Jem

Certainly not ruling it out post the Inside Out deal, this is the 3rd and final album with them and the contract (drawn up in 2004) is quite specific about certain things, bear in mind social media hadn't been invented then so it's all quite belts and braces with what I can and can't do in terms of funding proceedings.

However, as I said, this is the last album for IO. What happens after that will be very different, and there certainly won't be a 7 year gap between albums, put it that way.  :)

Jem

I should also like to point out that Inside Out and Thomas have been very good to the band over the years. I certainly don't want to give the impression that I'm a hard done by slave. I signed the paper so I've got to honour the deal, and so are they actually to their credit.

gr8gonzo

Well, that's all well and good and I wouldn't seek to grizzle the folks at Inside Out, spesh with that adorable film they have out now.

That said, if Jem were to start a campaign called "TARDIS weatherization and maintenance wink wink wink," I'd back it.  ;D ;D ;D

Speaking of TARDIS weatherization, Jem said it had some water in it, but not a swimming pool. No swimming pool? Presumably there's room, yes?  ;)

D S

Not sure about a whole swimming pool but there has certainly been a pond in the TARDIS...  ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

rogerg