How did you discover Frost*?

Started by mr_john, December 16, 2010, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_john

I was wracking my brains a couple of days ago trying to remember how I first heard of the band. My love of Prog really developed in the past 10 years which led me to discovering a bunch of "modern" prog bands such as Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, Big Big Train, Spocks Beard, Dream Theatre and Frost. I know a few of those bands have been going a good few years but to me they were new prog!!

I have a feeling that I must have read about Frost* somewhere but can't remember where or why. Certainly remember checking out the Wikipedia page. Most likely a review or mention in Classic Rock or some other prog-related magazine/website....

Anywho - how about you?

El_Mayonnaise

TBE playing pocket sun on youtube. And then a mention in Portnoy's top 10 albums of the year. And then BLM happened. :lol:

mr_john

Quote from: "El_Mayonnaise"TBE playing pocket sun on youtube. And then a mention in Portnoy's top 10 albums of the year. And then BLM happened. :lol:

Ahh you know I think the MP mention might have been my starting point too!!

Gandalf1986

Milliontown was my first review on italian unprogged.com and it was suggested by a friend of mine who loves the band! :)
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

MikeEvs

My boss read a review of Milliontown in Powerplays magazine thought it would be the kind of thing I'd like so showed me the review and I went out and bought it :D

Pedro

I discovered that a colleague at work was similarly Prog-minded during a car journey from Munich airport to Regensburg in 2006. We'd not worked together before so out poured the tales of Genesis and Yes gigs, etc.
When we got to the topic of (then) currently still active bands, he pointed me towards Arena and IQ and the names Mitchell and Jowitt were mentioned with reference to their talent and appearance in more than one band.

While digging a bit deeper into these new finds, reference to a new project called "Frost*" popped up and a clip of BLM was heard....the steady and on-going slide into madness, fun and biscuit abuse began from that point.

I will always be grateful to my ProgPal for "waking me up" to the current Prog scene - his name is Ritchie Whitwell and he appears in the Supporting Cast for the Derby DVD shoot cos he was there too. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

JakeWorrell

I was looking at porcupine tree albums on facebook and was looking out for new music at the time so spotted milliontown in the 'people who bought this also bought' section. I thought it looked interesting so I gave it a listen on napster. I've been hooked ever since! This was probably a good 3 or 4 years ago now.
"The longer the note, the more dread."

rogerg

back in 2005 (2006?), Black Light Machine was made available for free somewhere, and someone on www.auralmoon.com linked to it.  I downloaded it and have never looked back.  it came at a stressful time in my life, and I must have listened to Milliontown a million times that year. and I still do!  it's right at the top of my desert island list.

seeing the band live (and meeting them!) at Rosfest 2009 was a memory I will cherish always.  that and meeting all you fine folks!

8-)

gr8gonzo

Early 2007, I believe. It was one of those iTunes "people who bought this also bought THIS" things. I listened to the clips from Milliontown and bought it immediately. Some time later, I bought the CD, too.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

rogerg

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"some time later, I bought the CD, too.

I think I still need to do that, but it's $173.38 at Amazon right now!   :shock:  :o  8-)

catherine

Quote from: "rogerg"
Quote from: "gr8gonzo"some time later, I bought the CD, too.

I think I still need to do that, but it's $173.38 at Amazon right now!   :shock:  :o  8-)

And worth every penny of that as well!

It's a lot cheaper at amazon.co.uk...

rogerg

well, with the exchange rate what it is....

heh   8-)

MarkOneMusic

Twas during a particularly manic game of following the 'People who bought this also bought this' trail on Amazon that led me to Milliontown. (I think I started off at one of the Spock's albums, but I can't be sure.)

And to be honest I went with it blind - no MP3 snippets, just trust in the fact that like-minded proglodites liked it.

It was much, much later it occurred to me to look for a forum too :)

Drarok

Strangely I was just thinking about this the other day.
I remember my very 1st listen anything Frost*, but no idea how I arrived at it.

It was the YouTube video where Jem is describing the solo in Black Light Machine, and mentions Screaming On The Beaches (I think?) by It Bites... I can't find the video on YouTube anymore, it was uploaded before the planetfrost account was created.

For those that haven't seen this video, it's Jem describing the creative processes behind BLM, how it started off, how that evolved and the like, all with sound clips from his trusty Mac and him playing parts live on-camera... A little Steve Vai impersonation (of playing style - but on keyboard), all wrapped up in a package by a cheeky chappy adorned with a lovely English accent.

It took a little work to figure out the band (I had to google Black Light Machine to get it :lol:), and then I must admit that I downloaded Milliontown from the Internets for free - but worry not, I have since paid for it and EIMA, tshirts, gigs and whatnot. ;)

I'd love to know the path I took from whatever I was watching on YouTube to Jem deconstructing a song!

D S

I just checked to be sure I wasn't imagining this but it is correct.  I actually ordered the Milliontown CD on the day of its release (24 July 2006) without having heard a note of it, purely on the strength of a) who was on it (JM & JJ) and b) the glowing pre-release reviews of people whose musical taste I shared and trusted.  As soon as the piano riff of Hyperventilate came on, I knew that this had been a good purchase, by BLM I was won over and by the end of Milliontown, I knew my world was now officially a better place!  8-)
Come on, you\'re a lion!