Main Menu

My rig

Started by FreeThoughtTH, May 29, 2013, 08:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreeThoughtTH

Thought I'd contribute something here.

Here's a shot of me with my keys rig at my band FreeThought's last gig on Friday night.

Not the greatest shot to actually see my setup but I'll give you a runthrough.

The board is an M-Audio Oxygen 88 MIDI Controller. That's sending MIDI data via USB to my laptop which is a HP Pavilion dv6 (2010 model). Upgraded the RAM in that thing so now it runs quite smoothly. On the laptop I'm running Acoustica Mixcraft 6 as my VST host. That's hosting a whole bunch of Native Instruments/UVI/Korg/freeware stuff. Got some nice sounds. The audio interface I'm using is a Lexicon Lambda, and it's all sitting on an Ultimate Support VS80 V-Stand. The second tier is being used to hold the laptop. In addition to that I use a cheap USB footswitch to scroll through patches in my DAW.

Looking at (finally) upgrading to a Kronos midyear (when I get all mah tax dollars back), which will improve things significantly. The soft synth rig is great but it has been known to crash from time to time which can be super inconvenient. I won't be fully replacing the soft synths though; I'll still use my laptop (integrated with the Kronos once I get it) for the really unique sounds (multisampling is WAAAAAAAY too much effort), but the rest of it (pianos, strings, choirs, brass, EPs, whatever) will be all handled by the Kronos for much more smooth sailing.

More pics from the night can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.388469384605978.1073741827.148446585274927&type=3

While you're there, why don't you head on over and give my band a big old Facebook like? :P

E.S.

Nice shot. :)

I have Kronos lust myself, I think it's the best all in one live instrument available today. You'll be pretty happy with that, I'm sure. :D

owen

Oh Lord. And I thought One Direction looked young

FreeThoughtTH

Hahahahhahah not sure if I'm meant to take that as a compliment. I can assure you our music sounds a lot better (to a prog fan's ears anyway) than One Direction. We have a demo up on youtube with our old singer (I posted about that a while ago) and we're putting out a new EP in about 3 months.

But I'm 19 in case you're wondering.

MarkOneMusic

I love the V Stand.  I use it with my Fantom G7. It looks cool and is really sturdy AND it folds down small enough to pop into the boot of the car :)

But I don't think it's made any more and nobody seems to have the 2nd tier on sale anywhere :(

MikeEvs

You look like a young Guy Martin

JimD

I would class Guy Martin as quite young!
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

Mikey

Quote from: JimD on June 27, 2013, 12:37:20 PM
So would I, he also looks like......like.......like........give me a week or so.........
I used to have a signature

FreeThoughtTH

Hahahaha I kind of see it...

If you could see my face a little better you could see though that my mutton chops are slightly larger than Mr.  Martin's..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/581920_388469754605941_918761458_n.jpg

Mikey

Quote from: Mikey on June 27, 2013, 06:30:57 PM
Quote from: JimD on June 27, 2013, 12:37:20 PM
So would I, he also looks like......like.......like........give me a week or so.........
Mark Webber

FreeThoughtTH

Now you're just naming random Australians :P

Mikey

Quote from: FreeThoughtTH on June 29, 2013, 04:37:50 PM
I guess the other bloke is Australian as well.
Never heard of him

MikeEvs

Quote from: Mikey on June 29, 2013, 06:05:54 PM
Quote from: FreeThoughtTH on June 29, 2013, 04:37:50 PM
I guess the other bloke is Australian as well.
Never heard of him

If your referring to Guy Martin he's not Australian.  He's 31 year old Motorcylce racer from Lincolnshire, primarily rides in road races like the Isle of Man TT. He also did a TV programme for the BBC called "The boat that Guy built"

Jem

Awesome picture.  :D