Lonely Robot - Scala, London, 20 December 2015

Started by Trapezium Artist, December 11, 2015, 07:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D S

Come on, you\'re a lion!

L33VEY

Quote from: D S on December 21, 2015, 06:22:15 PM
Well, how was it?!  :o

Jolly good. Played the whole album track by track.  Peter Cox guested on "Boy on the Radio", Heather Findlay on "Why Do We Stay", Jem on "Lonely Robot", Kim Seviour on "Oubliette". So only Steve Hogarth missing - washing his hair!
Mental drum solo from Craig started the encores, then a blistering BLM and an unfestive "Take Me Home" cover to finish.

Caroline Campbell on bass throughout and very good on BLM - watch out Nathan...

Sound mix was a little iffy in places and JM had a cold - otherwise FAB

Jem and the band disappeared afterwards but learnt from Nellie that he is still fired up about the new album, although Paul Tippett said that he hadn't met Jem to discuss designs yet and didn't have a title   ???
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

JakeWorrell

It was great! I didn't very much like having to wait 30 minutes to go in after making the effort to travel for 3 hours each way, paying for a hotel room for the night and making effort to get there on time but this isn't unique to this gig or even this genre.

It felt very much like a typical Christmas prog shindig; great music played by great musicians in a great atmosphere. You couldn't really ask for more and the 1960s Sci-fi stage adornments were inspired, I thought.

"The longer the note, the more dread."

MikeEvs

I had a late night the night before editing my photos from the Nightwish gig (shot for prog so can't share till the magazine comes out).  When I woke up the next morning at my hotel near Wembley I decided to get the tube to Maida Vale then walk from there to Abbey Road, I've been in London loads but never been there before.

From there I walked to Marble Arch then got the tube to Holborn and had food in the Shakespears Head pub.  When I went to leave there it was pissing down with rain so I got back on the tube to Kings Cross and then Angel.  It had stopped raining thankfully as I walked the 5mins (make that 50mins if you're VitaminP who managed to get lost) to the craft beer co pub on White Lion Steet.

When I got there already there were Rob, Susie , Russ and VitP. Later we were joined by LJ Blackmore who shot the video's for Lonely Robot. Then MT showed up. After a few drinks made my way over to the venue.  By this time the queue was gone and I walked straight in with Hekz already on stage.  Had a bit of a walk around said hello to lots of people I knew.

After Hekz I headed to the bar with fellow photographer Kevin Nixon who was there shooting for Prog.  We'd both been had Nightwish the night before. 

Then it was time for the main event and it didn't disappoint.  Despite his cold I thought JM did a great job as did the whole band and the guests. After the set I hung around talking to people long enough for someone to give me a wrist band for the after show (thanks Jill ). Headed up to the after party and mingled talking to everyone I knew there.

At some point I looked at the time and realised that the tube's were going to be shut and I had no idea how I was going to get back to my wembley hotel.  I decided I'd walk for a bit , found a cash point just in case I needed to get a taxi and then carried on walking. I got as far as Baker Street and then checked the bus stops and found that I could get the N18 bus to Wembley in 10mins time so I waited there for the bus. I managed to get of the bus at the nearest stop to my hotel and went to bed sometime after 2am  ;D

DueyC

Quote from: L33VEY on December 21, 2015, 06:36:42 PM

Paul Tippett said that he hadn't met Jem to discuss designs yet and didn't have a title   ???

I thought Jem said in his blog a while ago that he was going to do something different artwork-wise this time...
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

JakeWorrell

Quote from: DueyC on December 22, 2015, 11:14:41 PM
Quote from: L33VEY on December 21, 2015, 06:36:42 PM

Paul Tippett said that he hadn't met Jem to discuss designs yet and didn't have a title   ???

I thought Jem said in his blog a while ago that he was going to do something different artwork-wise this time...

Yes I vaguely recall that also
"The longer the note, the more dread."

Jem

I think Paul might had a couple of beers by this point then as we're totally talking about the design and have been for weeks. I've sent him mood boards and everything. The album is very probably going to be eponymously titled as things currently stand. To be honest, it's the least of my problems right now, just getting the bloody thing finished before Feb 16th is what's taking up most of my brain space. Mastering is booked on Feb 17th at 11am. I may have to pull a couple of 24 hour shifts before then...

However, I'm not moaning, far from it, I'm having a completely brilliant time. It's so nice to be making my own music for a change. So much of my life is client based musically. I have to say I think I'm a brilliant client, I'd work with me all the time if I could!  :P

Jem

[/quote]

It was great! I didn't very much like having to wait 30 minutes to go in after making the effort to travel for 3 hours each way, paying for a hotel room for the night and making effort to get there on time but this isn't unique to this gig or even this genre.

[/quote]

I know what you mean, the Scala's a funny old venue, not sure I'd put Frost in there again.

L33VEY

Quote from: Jem on December 23, 2015, 06:52:53 PM
I think Paul might had a couple of beers by this point then as we're totally talking about the design and have been for weeks. I've sent him mood boards and everything.

That's true - it was very late by then and Paul likes to start early   :-X

rogerg

Quote from: Jem on December 23, 2015, 06:52:53 PMThe album is very probably going to be eponymously titled as things currently stand.

So F*** then?  ;D

L33VEY

Quote from: rogerg on December 23, 2015, 10:50:48 PM
Quote from: Jem on December 23, 2015, 06:52:53 PMThe album is very probably going to be eponymously titled as things currently stand.

So F*** then?  ;D

Don't you mean F*****?

rogerg

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: Jem on December 23, 2015, 07:04:02 PM

I know what you mean, the Scala's a funny old venue, not sure I'd put Frost in there again.

FWIW, I agree: too much of a weird maze and the vestibule / merch area is very foreboding. Nothing particularly special about the auditorium / stage area, and the glassed-in VIP area is very (very) strange indeed.

There must be better venues in London. There was that amazing pub in Kingston, for example  ;)

L33VEY

Quote from: rogerg on December 25, 2015, 02:31:13 PM
Quote from: L33VEY on December 25, 2015, 01:42:30 PM

So F*** then?  ;D

Don't you mean F*****?

It's the third album, no?

Not if you count The Philadelphia Experiment and The Rockfield Files    ;)

rogerg

Quote from: L33VEY on December 25, 2015, 04:28:41 PM
Quote from: rogerg on December 25, 2015, 02:31:13 PM
Quote from: L33VEY on December 25, 2015, 01:42:30 PM

So F*** then?  ;D

Don't you mean F*****?

It's the third album, no?

Not if you count The Philadelphia Experiment and The Rockfield Files    ;)

Hmm....  ;D