The Hope for 2016

Started by D S, January 28, 2016, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D S

Huge congrats to our own TMT, Pete Jones, who has been voted by the readers of Prog magazine as their Hope for 2016.  :) :) :)

There is also a glowing review of the Glasgow gig where Pete was the support for Abel Ganz. The reviewer thought he came close to upstaging the headliners!

Remember us when you've made your millions Pete!   ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mikey

Quote from: D S on January 28, 2016, 08:09:46 AM
The reviewer thought he came close to upstaging the headliners!

Remember us when you've made your millions Pete!   ;)
Blasted Davy O'List way off the stage.

& I echo DS's huge congrats  8) 8) 8) 8)
I used to have a signature

tigermoth

:) Thanks a lot DS and Mikey. It is indeed a huge honour, not to say a slight pressure for this year. :) Better do something good then. Haha. Though I am pretty confident that Red Bazarr will be making some waves in the next few months. :)  Wow Mikey, is there a review of the Ganz gig actually in Prog? No one told me about that. Its a bugger that I can't access Prog Mag.

Mikey

Here's an excerpt
A quick removal of much stage equipment and soon the stage was set for the second set, provided by Tiger Moth Tales, which is the name of the creative vehicle for Peter Jones. Peter has been in the music industry for many years, winning the junior final of BBC TV's Song For Christmas (1988), being a finalist on BBC's Star For A Night (2001) and also on ITV's The X Factor (2004) as well as touring with The X Factor Tour in 2005. Since Peter has moved into the progressive music area, he has released 2 full length albums, Cocoon (2014) and Storytellers Vol 1 (2015), as well as some live material EPs. Tiger Moth Tales is simply Peter sitting at a keyboard with a guitar fixed horizontally above and across the top of the keyboard. As soon as Peter started, the crowd realized that this was something very special and the conversations in the crowd, that sometimes permeate performances, simply stopped. Peter gave a superb selection of music, mainly from the Cocoon album ("Tigers in The Butter," "Don't Let Go..Feels Alright," "The Merry Vicar," "A Visit To Chigwick") one track from Storytellers Vol 1 and 2 covers from one of his favorite bands, Genesis, in the form of "More Fool Me" and "Harold The Barrel." The audience laughed away as Peter explained how he would shout out at concerts asking Genesis tribute bands to play "Harold" and he realized it had become an obsession when he shouted out the same request at a Steve Hackett concert. The set was excellent from start to finish with music of the highest quality, as Peter is a very accomplished musician with a voice that is so powerful and clear, and the humor he injected by including "The Merry Vicar" and "A Visit To Chigwick" made this 45+ minutes a majestic and mesmerizing part of the evening. (Although not aware at that moment, Peter would make another appearance later in the night).

& the link

rogerg

tigermoth

Ah, its the one Jim Lawson wrote I think. Ruddy nice chap. :)

D S

No, the one I was referring to was the review in Prog magazine itself!   8)
I'm at work just now but will copy out the relevant section when I get home tonight.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mikey

Quote from: tigermoth on February 02, 2016, 01:07:52 PM
Ah, its the one Jim Lawson wrote I think. Ruddy nice chap. :)
He's obviously got exceedingly good taste

D S

Review in Prog Magazine - Issue 63, Feb 2016 by Stef Lach

"......there's anticipation in the air as Glasgow's small but committed prog army wait for their hometown heroes to get started.  The thing is, Abel Ganz are in real danger of being upstaged by support act Tiger Moth Tales.  Describing Peter Jones as a one-man band is doing him an almighty disservice, for his remarkable show is free of any kind of cheap schtick.
He plays a bass drum, piano, lap guitar and recorder with a level of skill few can match.  On top of that, his wildly versatile voice is quite a stunning instrument in its own right, and he is as charming and witty a character as you're ever likely to see.
The mostly older audience at first appear a little unsure what to make of the blind man holding court with his fantastic tales of merry vicars and curious creatures.  But by the time he's through with his first few songs, Jones is being cheered wholeheartedly.  His perfectly bonkers cover of Harold the Barrel is as unexpected as it is brilliant.
Follow that if you can, Abel Ganz."

PS - just noticed - you were actually the Tip for 2016, not the Hope.  Oops - wrong title!  :-[
Come on, you\'re a lion!

gr8gonzo

Tippy the Tale Teller is also now a touring member of Camel, set to play keys on their May tour of Japan and playing the same festival as Steve Hackett. I hope this does not conflict with him supporting Frost*, as was bandied about some time ago, but he has since appeared on record with Steve Hackett, Tina Booth and members of BBT, and shared the stage with JM, Francis Dunnery and some guy named Robert Plant, so perhaps support slots have become petites pommes de terre for our man on the corner. ;)
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Mooncat

QuoteI hope this does not conflict with him supporting Frost*, as was bandied about some time ago

I could be wrong, but I think Jem mooted that the support for the gigs may be two gentlemen associated with cranial adornments (and no, it's not Daft Punk)
::)
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Mikey

Quote from: gr8gonzo on February 03, 2016, 02:39:56 AM
Tippy the Tale Teller is also now a touring member of Camel,
Oi, mothster, have you kept that quiet or did some old fool miss it?

The size of your sphericals must now be immense ;D

I think the Frost* support was our suggestion rather than anything inked in by Jem

Mikey

https://soundcloud.com/tiger-moth-tales

Oops!! I've gone and accidentally dropped the link to Pete's soundcloud page for anyone who hasn't had a delve yet.
There's a link to the band camp page from there  :) :) :) :) :)

There's also a track on there that includes Fred Jomgey*

tigermoth

Wow. Thanks for that DS. That one had slipped under the radar. Wow, pretty sparkling review. :) It is true indeed that I shal be joining Camel for a trip to Japan. I've been meaning to put it on here today, but couldn't quite work out where it was best to put it. Announcements, TMT, Other Bands? :) Not usre. But it is true indeed and I'm something of a lucky bleeder.
Yes, the Frost Support idea was started within our ranks, but as has been said abuv I think Gentlemen in hentlemens will be oblyging.  :) However, I shal be at Bilston as a spectater, and I'll even bring a spare hat in case someone forgets theirs. :)

owen

Nice one!

Yeah, Jem refused to give his agents their 10% cut, so the deal fell through  8)