Main Menu

JM strikes back

Started by owen, June 04, 2016, 11:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owen

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/16458-Frost*-Falling-Satellites-released-May-27-2016/page4

I'm not a member of progears but I have a look from time to time. Someone's had a go at Blunders and John responded. Well worth a read. Probably well worth joining progears just to agree. But I suspect it'll be a few days before we were let in,

Get in John!

JakeWorrell

Haha, great response!

Craig is clearly an excellent drummer. The average drummer probably plays in unsigned bands, exclusively in 4/4. There's nothing wrong with at of course, but it just goes to show that average is a poor choice of word. I can only assume that the guy on the forum is confusing "average" and "not to my taste".
"The longer the note, the more dread."

lyn

Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

rogerg

Nice to see that Pedro waded in, too.  ;D

Fogeyspasm

Well done John.
Fu*kwits abound.
Tally Ho Chaps
Bandits 11 O\'Clock High
Throttle to boost, im going in!

BrendanGee

Well put, John.
Judging by some the posts on that thread I don't think I would enjoy frequenting that forum.
I'll stick to this one, got a much nicer bunch of people.  ;D

Bring on the Trumpets!

owen

I know. They apologize for going off topic. I had to apologize for going back to it

Ps is apologize spelt with a z? It doesn't look right to me, but my ipad insists it's right. Please don't answer if you're American. Nonresident of you lot can spell for toffee ;)

owen

Nonresident? I've never used that word in my life. Where does it get that from? What it should say is "none of..."

BrendanGee

I would tend to use the 's' form as it is the general UK thing to do. Though I found this in a little Google search:

"Apologize is the preferred spelling in American and Canadian English, and apologise is preferred in varieties of English from outside North America. This is the case despite the fact that apologize is the original form and was once standard even in British English (and is still used by some British publishers).

Traditionally, verbs whose roots have origins in Greek take the -ize suffix, and apology is of Greek origin, so it took –ize when it first came to English in the 16th century. Apologise emerged as a variant fairly early in the word's history, but it only recently became the preferred spelling outside North America..."
Bring on the Trumpets!

Trapezium Artist

There are a great many -ise/-ize words, and the generally held belief is that proper practise in English (as opposed to American) is to use the -ise form.

The broad myth is that the -ise forms stem from French and don't do as good a job of representing the pronunciation as the -ize forms. Then, the myth continues, the switch occurred to -ize forms in America in the same way as simplying neologisms such as "nite", "thru", "color", and so on were introduced, in one of those periodic attempts to reform English spelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-language_spelling_reform

Only problem is, it's bollocks. The -ize forms are documented in English writing (as opposed to American) as early as the 15th century, far earlier than -ise forms which only cropped up 300 years later. This is why the Oxford University Press actually uses the -ize forms as standard:

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/ize-or-ise/

That said, there are a number of English verbs which must have an -ise ending in both English and American, because of their origin in other languages. These include words like "comprise", "promise", and "exercise". And there are still some words that take yet another form, namely -yse, including "analyse", although these are all spelled with -yze forms in American.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/ize-ise-or-yse

Oh, and then there's "programme" and "program": interesting rant by Richard Dawkins on that topic in one of his older books, and not in the way you'd imagine.

Finally, FWIW and the OED notwithstanding, I personally insist on the -ise forms. Because I'm like that.

owen

Well that's what I thought. I think it's the horrible other keyboard that constantly suggests words. Apologise seems to type well enough on the normal keyboard. Right, decision made, I'm dumping it. I apolgise for "apologizing"

Rook

Its too late to apologise; too laaaaaaate...

What I mean is my iPhone recommend apologise and is set to English (Australian)

owen

Yeah, it's SwiftKey, which has written some right garbage for me (I mean worse than the stuff I come out with unaided)

Rook

Autocorrect and predictive text can come out with some strange stuff, sometimes better than what passes for lyrics in a lot of commercial music.. Here is what it makes up from Frost... All I chose was the occasional secondary offering and where to put the carriage returns:

Frosted the best of the day before
I don't think that I have a great way of the day
The day before I get a follow back on my way
I'm at a time when you are so much better

I'm so excited to be the first
I'm at a time when you are so cute
The only thing that would make me feel better
The only way you can get it right

(Keyboard mash autocorrect section:)

Remember nights like his mind
By knowing we join us
See just how easy it is
Oh my word

Ha, that went kind of Jon Anderson there.

tigermoth

Lollage!  JM probably didn't need to go there, but that was jolly funny all the same. :) :)