Main Menu

Portland/Cambridge

Started by keith, August 01, 2016, 09:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith

Urgh.

What is it with Frost* and rubbish venues?

I had to leave early last night before I fainted in the heat. I was gutted to do so; but it was either that or pass out.

The previous time I saw our beloved band was that Peel Christmas gig, which was equally bad. Well, the music was good, but the venue again rubbish. I see a trend here... even if there is ever another tour I think I'll be giving it a miss as I am sadly too old to cope with the sort of conditions we had last night  :(

I hope it was better for everyone else...

Keith.
Who is this Hans, and why might he fail?

HarryVedge

I'm also baffled as to why they play such crap venues - really enjoyed last night apart from the stifling heat and the fact that I couldn't really see much...
I probably will be the good for nothing...

Brom

The camels back was already definitely broken before the request from the chap on the stage to ask us to regroup to let in another 10 ticket holding straws. That was the (melted) icing on the cake!

An encore of Oxygene would have gone down well!

Still I enjoyed it after securing a wall behind me - but missing out on most of Nathans performance thanks to the PA.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

lyn

Morning! What a sonic weekend,  Folk Festival, then Frost*
now the Cambridge Rock Festival starts on Wednesday! Great to meet more Frost*ies and the very gracious Twig,  the couple from Brazil and most especially Sir johninblack and his lovely lady.  I was at the front with Duey and Sue,  and had a free back massage from the air pushed around by the speaker stack. Took our micro Frost*ie to his first indoor gig...   Sorry to put my hands over my ears from time to time in the set, a bit of Nathan's lovely vocal and one of Craig's magnificent drums were on the punchy side through the PA.  Awesome,  but a bit hot.  That's the way it always is at the Portland... even on an acoustic Folk set in the wintertime.  I loved all John's guitars and Jem's keys with added Peppa Pig sticker! Thank you all,  and, Nellie too!
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

catherine

It was indeed like a sauna in there. A bigger venue would have been better, or one with more air in. I went with my husband and two friends; one left before Frost* started as he couldn't handle the crush in there, and my husband had to go out for air a couple of times. I was fortunate to be in an occasional waft of slightly cooler air from the aircon by the mixing desk, but struggled to stay upright as there were 2 burly blokes in front of me who kept inching backwards into where I was standing, and as my heels were against a step there was nowhere for me to move to. Now I know what a sardine on a barbecue feels like.

johninblack

Well for me it was a very, very emotional experience. Last year on July 29th I had an upper body and head /neck CT scan and on July 31st I had the Biopsy on the lump in my throat. I had been told on the Monday of that week (27th) to "prepare myself for some bad news", so at that point all I knew was that all the experts thought I had cancer but until we got the results of the scan and Biopsy no one knew if I'd still be alive in a year's time. Thankfully all has worked out well but I must admit to having tears in my eyes on several occasions, mind you anyone looking would probably just thought I had sweat in my eyes! Yes, it was roasting hot in there but for me I really couldn't care less and I actually quite liked the venue, it's just not quite big enough for Frost*. Many similarities to the Peel really.

Really good to finally meet Lyn and utterly fabulous to catch up with James and Karin, Brom, Dewy and Jem. Managed a quick hello to Bert, VitP and crew, Blunders and Nathan, sorry I couldn't stay longer but I was totally buggered and in need of a little lay down.

We bumped into Nellie in Cambridge that afternoon and had already been told that it could be a tad cosy. Nellie, spot on and thanks for the biccies!

Catherine, how did we miss each other? Didn't even see you. :(
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

DueyC

Quote from: johninblack on August 01, 2016, 08:19:06 PM
Well for me it was a very, very emotional experience. Last year on July 29th I had an upper body and head /neck CT scan and on July 31st I had the Biopsy on the lump in my throat.

Crikey, was it really only a year ago? What a helluva year that's been!

It was lovely to see you and Sue back in your natural habitat, and I must say I was really impressed with the way you've mastered talking again.
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Jem

Quote from: keith on August 01, 2016, 09:29:58 AM
Urgh.

I had to leave early last night before I fainted in the heat. I was gutted to do so; but it was either that or pass out.

The previous time I saw our beloved band was that Peel Christmas gig, which was equally bad. Well, the music was good, but the venue again rubbish. I see a trend here... even if there is ever another tour I think I'll be giving it a miss as I am sadly too old to cope with the sort of conditions we had last night  :(

I hope it was better for everyone else...

Keith.

In our defence...I must respectfully disagree with your "What is it with Frost and rubbish venues" remark. Every single gig bar that one on this tour was fine. If there's any blame on our part, it was attempting to play outside the usual prog "ghettos". We underestimated the Cambridge turnout to be honest as we were trying to step away from London for which we have been previously criticised for focussing too much on.

I completely agree that the gig was oversubscribed, but the legal capacity is 209. I can't legislate for the venues we hire, we work on the info we're given in good faith. To accuse us, the band, of playing "rubbish venues" is like accusing F1 teams of racing at badly designed circuits. I will happily carry the can for many things, but you can't blame us for trying to do our best at a venue we've never played before.

With the Peel, again we were at the behest of the promoter. If they say it will be fine, we must trust them. We're only there for a single night. We don't own or run these venues, we turn up in good faith, as indeed do you guys. The band aren't the bad guys here if there indeed need to be bad guys so please don't tar us with that particular brush.

See you at Wembley. ;)

Jem

lyn

See you at Wembley. ;)

Jem

Sorry,  it's tough in the Fens. 
Try Melbourn Rock Club,  or Haddenham... Cambridge Rock festival,  secret pockets of prog for three or four decades... It's about the journey...
Anyway,  we aren't spoilt for choice,  thanks for being here...
I already heard you play at Wembley back in the day... Been there done that. 
Great that you guys,  as a project,  come out and play for us.  Thank you.
Everyone else, shut the F* up.
Sorry, it was a bit hot and noisy.  What did you think? A gig,  in a pub,  in July?
I did gigs at the Peel,  Scala,  Kingston, Reading,  Bilston... They all had their moments.  It's fun.  Get over it.
Anyway, it is about the people,  and the music.

johninblack

Quote from: keith on August 01, 2016, 09:29:58 AM
Urgh.

Does that mean you intend to personally inspect every future proposed Frost* venue to ensure suitability, at your own expense of course.

What's that? No?        Thought not........... >:(
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

DueyC

I'll tell you what was going through my mind as I dissolved down at the front...

It was that old cliche about being privileged to see these great musicians up close in sweaty little clubs before they were big enough to play stadiums.

Very much appreciated, Jem et al. Thank you  :)
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

lyn

We're not going to get into a tizzy.  It is time wasted in pointless debacle and is now history. Thank you for the Falling Satellites tour!   Make more amazing music,  please.  I declare the debate closed.  Sorry.  All the kinetic energy is about the new future...

lyn

If you play Cambridge we all know you are on the way up.  Catch you on the downside in 2035.Ask Steve Wilson,  AC-DC,  the Buzzcocks....

lyn

Quote from: DueyC on August 01, 2016, 10:51:39 PM
I'll tell you what was going through my mind as I dissolved down at the front...

It was that old cliche about being privileged to see these great musicians up close in sweaty little clubs before they were big enough to play stadiums.

Very much appreciated, Jem et al. Thank you  :)
What she said!

owen

Going back to Bilston, I hadn't been there before and was really surprised at how good it was. Good view, good sound, plenty of folk, beer decent and not too expensive. Sorry to hear Cambridge wasn't great but live and learn? Actually I'd be interested in how many folk turned up to the shows.