Main Menu

Let's Talk Pop

Started by gr8gonzo, December 15, 2008, 02:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

One of my favourite pop rock bands is Orson.  I understand the UK had a sufficient dose of them in the past couple years and you're probably quite sick of them by now, but I'm still very impressed with their pop songwriting.  They've fallen off the radar a bit in the past year, though I did recently read that lead singer Jason Pebworth co-wrote a few songs on the latest Sugababes album, including their new single, "No Can Do."  I wonder what opinion another pop writer/producer has of Orson, if any.

It's odd (and frustrating) that I had to order their albums as imports since they are AMERICAN, but it wouldn't be the first time I've shopped other countries to find the music I want.  The U.S. doesn't seem to care what people like anymore.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

MikeEvs

gr8gonzo

Well, like I said, they're a pop rock band.

They're from Hollywood, but found fame in London.  I'd never heard of them until an accidental discovery while flipping through channels and seeing them on London Live.  Their #1 single, "No Tomorrow," helped push their #1 album, "Bright Idea," to platinum status.  They won the Brit award for Best International Breakthrough Act last year and were selected by Princes William and Harry to perform at the Concert for Diana.

They have a bit of a retro sound, but full of very catchy riffs and choruses.

MikeEvs

It's probably down to the fact that I never listen to radio so wouldn't have a clue who's at No1 at any given time and probably avoided all coverage of that Diana concert like the plague

Dave M

I have a couple of Orson tracks .. Bright Idea and No Tomorrow ... both good songs, they supported Robbie Williams last enormo adventure and played Glastonbury (one of the smaller tents I think) and seemed to go down well, but have had a low profile here recently .. well off my rather limited radar anyways.

Songs I've been listening to lately (pop'ish) though possibly not current .. Paramore .. Thats what you get (infectious pop rock song) , The Script .. Breakeven (probably only in the UK so far) and (thanks to my wife) Katy Perry  ... mixed in with Kings of Leon (not pop .. but non prog) and John Mayer .. I love his guitar playing.
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

gr8gonzo

Paramore's another one I hold in fairly high regard, despite their youth and simplicity (a four year old could play those guitar "solos").  Paramore's songs are very catchy and, while the songs are far from complex, I love the chord choices and especially enjoy Hayley Williams' vocals and melodic choices.  Those are the things that separate them from all the emo bands they tend to get grouped with, imo.

I don't think they've written anything profound yet, but two of them are still in their teens and I think they're doing pretty well.  I look forward to hearing what they come up with next.

LivingForever

I was listening to Madonna's 'Ray of Light' last night (which is still one of my top albums of all time) and wondering what quality pop music anyone else enjoyed roundabout these parts?

I'm still listening to Roisin Murphy's excellent album and also enjoy a bit of Sugababes and Girls Aloud now and again...   :D
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

ChrisX

Upon checking I discovered I haven't bought any decent chart-topping pop-album in quite a while. Here are some from the last few years that I really like:

Spiraling - Time Travel Made Easy //http://www.myspace.com/spiraling
Keane - Hopes And Fears
Keane - Under The Iron Sea
Ilse DeLange - The Great Escape (excellent album produced by Patrick Leonard)

However I did buy quite a lot of albums in the field of singer/songwriter and Americana, which is something I have really taken to. Here are some artists and / or albums that I really like (and somehow I seem to gravitate to female singer / songwriters):

Kathleen Edwards
Tom McRae
Oh Susanna
Gretchen Peters (so far I have not encountered an album of her that I did not like)
Vienna Teng
Kathryn Williams
Tift Merritt

And then there are the more alternative type of artists / bands that certainly don't dissappoint me but most of the time really impress me when they release a new album:

Sigur Ros
The Flaming Lips
Efterklang
Archive
UNKLE (their Never, Never Land album is a masterpiece IMHO)
Massive Attack (Mezzanine and 100th Window are just gorgeous)
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

gr8gonzo

Love that Spiraling album.  One of my favourites of the year.

johninblack

Quote from: "LivingForever"I was listening to Madonna's 'Ray of Light' last night (which is still one of my top albums of all time) and wondering what quality pop music anyone else enjoyed roundabout these parts?

I'm still listening to Roisin Murphy's excellent album and also enjoy a bit of Sugababes and Girls Aloud now and again...   :D

Yep, don't mind any of them but as far as pop goes ABBA are the masters. Rather partial to the Carpenters, Karen has IMHO the best female voice ever.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

johninblack

Quote from: "LivingForever"I was listening to Madonna's 'Ray of Light' last night (which is still one of my top albums of all time) and wondering what quality pop music anyone else enjoyed roundabout these parts?

Yep, don't mind any of them but as far as pop goes ABBA are the masters. Rather partial to the Carpenters, Karen has IMHO the best female voice ever.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Geetar

Definitely with you all on Spiraling. "Time Travel" is one of my fave buys from the last 12 months. Not that there have been many.
This space for sale.

gr8gonzo

I've always thought Madonna's material was good, but her singing generally doesn't appeal to me.  There are exceptions, "Vogue," "Live to Tell," "Express Yourself" and "Beautiful Stranger" among them.

ChrisX

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"Love that Spiraling album.  One of my favourites of the year.

Bless you and somehow I knew I would find someone who loves Spiraling on this forum.
--
Christian

ChrisX

Quote from: "Geetar"Definitely with you all on Spiraling. "Time Travel" is one of my fave buys from the last 12 months. Not that there have been many.

And another Spiraling convert, yay  :D  :D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I met Spiraling's Tom Brislin @ NEARfest this summer (and bought the new album without having heard a single note) and he talked about that they were trying to come to Europe for gigs.... hmm... a small batch together Frost coming spring would be awfully nice.
--
Christian