Frost* Forum Collab Song v.2

Started by E.S., January 31, 2012, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.S.

Making a new dedicated thread for the project. Maybe it should be gooey and sticky like the original one? :)

Our dearest leader, Cap'n, chief and master RWA has decided to step down from the role as the organizer and producer, so I'm the new boy putting it together. Not a leader, just the one buggering about with knobs and faders, glue, scissors and crayons.
Because of this, a new Box.com account has been created for future use, the other one belongs to Ron after all. I've got 5GB of space on it. :D

Therefore, I need everyone who want to participate to PM me your email address, so I can invite you to the new sharing place. I'll make folders for each one of you, where you can upload your files.

Upload your files in 44,1khz WAV format, preferably 24bit. 16bit also works if you don't have the 24bit option available.
It would also be nice if you include the tempo in the filename when you add a part.

Well, off we go then. :D

Pedro

It is now "sticky" :) but hopefully wipe-clean.

As before, the intention (ha ha) is for this thread to be for the people actually working on the thing to communicate with each other.

Also, as before, please only sign-up if you want to actually deliver bits and pieces to the project but are also prepared for those bits to possibly not be used at all.

ES is bravely taking on the task of assembling a track that (hopefully) sounds good....this has to mean that some bits will need to be re-worked until good enough or until they fit better but it also follows that some bits just won't make it at all.

Looking forward to it :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

danofmayz

As I'm unfamiliar, do we contribute a single part or a fully instrumented passage?
Follow me on Twitter! //http://twitter.com/danmvalverde @danmvalverde

Pedro

It can really be anything.
Last time we had everything from really short midi patterns to quite long, multi-instrument passages.
Typically, the flow was :-
The project will get a tempo and time sign, at least initially.
1. Listen to what is there already and come up with something to go with, after or before it.
2. Submit it however you can, midi or mp3 (to keep things light-weight).
3. ES decides how best to use it.
4. If it's a go-er(!) ES will ask for it on high quality WAV if you can do it.
5. If you can't do it, someone else could volunteer.
Some of the process last time involved replacing parts that were there but needed to be done either on real instruments or simply because someone wanted it to be less of them on the track. That meant people could contribute without having to compose anything themselves.

The thing is, no-one should feel excluded on the grounds of their level of ability out the gear they have. If you can expires an idea somehow it can be considered.
Hopefully that's about right.... :)

Nev

PM Sent to E.S.  :D

Quote from: "Pedro"The thing is, no-one should feel excludEd on the grounds of their level of ability out the gear they have. If you can expires an idea somehow it can be considered.

I think that expresses my contributary level.  Expiring ideas is my speciality.  ;)

Pedro

danofmayz

Quote from: "Pedro"It can really be anything.
Last time we had everything from really short midi patterns to quite long, multi-instrument passages.
Typically, the flow was :-
The project will get a tempo and time sign, at least initially.
1. Listen to what is there already and come up with something to go with, after or before it.
2. Submit it however you can, midi or mp3 (to keep things light-weight).
3. ES decides how best to use it.
4. If it's a go-er(!) ES will ask for it on high quality WAV if you can do it.
5. If you can't do it, someone else could volunteer.
Some of the process last time involved replacing parts that were there but needed to be done either on real instruments or simply because someone wanted it to be less of them on the track. That meant people could contribute without having to compose anything themselves.

The thing is, no-one should feel excluded on the grounds of their level of ability out the gear they have. If you can expires an idea somehow it can be considered.
Hopefully that's about right.... :)

Excellent, Thank you for letting me know. Definitely got some ideas in mind. Let the three and a half minute pop song commence!  :D
Follow me on Twitter! //http://twitter.com/danmvalverde @danmvalverde

E.S.

Good point Pedro, an MP3 upload would be best to begin with. Saves space and bandwidth :)

You contribute exactly as much as you want or can. If it's a finished arrangement or a single chord, anything is a valid contribution.
I have a tendency to write something, and then build an arrangement around it with a full band. Of course all of it is done "in the box", plus some shoddy attempts at playing bass and guitar. But here's the fun part; you might be a proper guitar player and replace my bits, or even better; rewrite it. Then a drummer might wanna play through the entire track, or at least a longer section of it, change it up, add parts... and so on.

A neverending rewrite and remix. :)

E.S.

For those of you who remember 1976 (not the year ;) ), I thought it could be fun to pick a little piece from that and see where it goes. It's a real shame the song was never finished, and apparently abandoned for good.. so it's a little tribute to the song that never was. A suggestion from me:

http://www.box.com/s/rfp7cy38ngyqdztrjvx2

Pedro

Interesting first move....  :)

*stares at board, tapping finger tips together in a pensive manner....switches on Triton...

Mikey

That needs some bass pedals over it, wound up loud.
I used to have a signature

Mikey

& some work on that 2 seconds silence at the end, maybe a 20 minute solo to fill it up.
I used to have a signature

RacingHippo

* May contain nuts.

David

Quote from: "E.S."For those of you who remember 1976 (not the year ;) ), I thought it could be fun to pick a little piece from that and see where it goes. It's a real shame the song was never finished, and apparently abandoned for good.. so it's a little tribute to the song that never was. A suggestion from me:

http://www.box.com/s/rfp7cy38ngyqdztrjvx2
Excellent choice!

Remember, 3 months ago :
Quote from: "JakeWorrell"
Quote from: "E.S."I'm sooo tempted to steal that 1976 snippet, it's too good to be scrapped.
Idea for a second Forum collaboration song perhaps?

I knew it was planned from the start, on your way to become the Master of the World *evil genius laugh*  :lol:

E.S.

It has been planned since the beginning of time! Moahahahahaaaa!

Only a suggestion though.  ;)