How did you discover Frost*?

Started by mr_john, December 16, 2010, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooncat

Symbiant circle time -
I was at Music Live watching a Roland demo by Craig Blundell, and chatting to him afterwards when along comes a guy wanting to interview drummers for some research he's doing. Craig agrees to do the questionnaire later, but then points out another 'famous' drummer in the shape of TBE. The first question was 'What heads do you use?' to which TBE replied, 'round ones'. :lol:  :lol:
A few weeks later (after some intensive googling) I bumped into him at an IB gig (the first tour with JM) and promptly started studying with him for the next 9-12 months. During this time he switched me on to a lot of stuff (Porcupine Tree, Spoks Beard etc) but also made mention of a project he was involved with called Frost*.
Promptly downloaded from iTunes, closely followed by purchasing a hard copy, and the rest, as they say, is history.

(the circle now being completed by Blunders joining the band.............) Spooky eh?
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

daveyb

IT BITES are 1 of my fave bands ever & when I heard they were reforming a few years ago with a certain John Mitchell taking over on vocals & guitar,I just had to be at their opening gig at Workington,Cumbria-an amazing night,well after browsing the net lookin at other projects John Mitchell was into,I came across this band called FROST;the first thing I listened to was MILLIONTOWN,it absolutely blew mw away and I can honestly say that this track is my favourite song ever.Now have all 3 albums,seen them live in manchester & cant wait for the dvd

mr_john

Hmm stories of It Bites reminds me that I think another link for me was the Kino album (on which JM plays of course) so I might have used Wikipedia to discover more of his work and so on....

Interesting that it seems most of us came via word of motuh or 'users also bought' type scenarios. I suppose that element of discovering a band without all the internet-hype/magazine coverage etc adds to the family spirit that permeates this board and the band!

At least I think it's family spririt.... could be the essence of stale Hob Nobs to be honest  :D

rogerg

interestingly (for me, anyway!)I discovered It Bites and Kino and other JM projects, and tinyfish after I learned of Frost*. Frost* has led me to much wonderful music and wonderful people, too!

MikeEvs

Quote from: "rogerg"interestingly (for me, anyway!)I discovered It Bites and Kino and other JM projects, and tinyfish after I learned of Frost*. Frost* has led me to much wonderful music and wonderful people, too!

Same here although I'd heard of Kino and It Bites I didn't actually listen to either until I knew of JM through Frost* :)

MikeEvs

Quote from: "MikeEvs"My boss read a review of Milliontown in Powerplays magazine thought it would be the kind of thing I'd like so showed me the review and I went out and bought it :D

I knew it was something like that but I just looked up my order history on amazon to see when I actually bought it and remembered what actually happened is that my boss read the review in Powerplays magazine downloaded it from a not very reputable internet site probably for free wasn't that keen on it but thought I'd like it so gave the mp3's to me,  I purchased the actual CD on the 5th of October 2006 at the same time I ordered Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse , GPS - Windows to the soul and Porcupine Tree - Stars Die

Ben Y-S

T'was in support of Dream Theater back in June of last year. Regrettably it wasn't earlier so I couldn't fully appreciate their brilliance completely, but I was totally sold when I heard Dear Dead Days live =P

LivingForever

I think it was relatively shortly after the release of Milliontown - a thread on the now-defunct Genesis forum told me I should check them out, so I did.

Was very pleased to find that John Mitchell was on it, since I'd loved the Kino album... embarrassingly my Mitchell-fandom led me to believe that he was the lead vocalist all the way through, something which I carried on believing until about the 4th listen. I can remember getting a bit annoyed after the first couple of plays- "I wish they hadn't put quite so many effects on his voice all the way through, sometimes you can barely even tell it's him singing..."

:oops:

Anyway, I loved it from the very first play, I'd never heard anything quite like it. And still haven't, to be honest!
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

SmartUK

Fro me, it starts with the original It Bites in the late 80s/early 90s, then Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, new It Bites and, via John Mitchell, Frost*.  I've been a Genesis/Yes/Rush fan since the 70s, thanks to my brother playing it all at loud volume from his room!
Frost*, monkey, trumpet, ARSE!!

Mooman

When Frost* were supporting Dream Theater back when, I saw the name and went to wikipedia. Completely blanked what other claims to prog everyone had (until a lot lot later, silly me :oops: ) and looked for album and track listings. Then a quick dash to youtube, First song was Hyperventilate, and I was hooked.

Then I heard Black Light Machine. My ears didn't know what to do with themselves, and I instantly was a fan (and was looking forward to Frost* more than I was Dream Theater!)

Showed the guys to my brother who was coming with me, and his first reaction was: "That John Mitchell guy looks a lot like Rich Hall!" :lol:

It Bites, Arena, IQ, Kino all were "discovered" by me earlier this year, can't believe I waited this long!
If you\'re considering going to Sonisphere, when you buy a ticket could you please use the code SF636M, I\'ll provide some variety of biscuits! \":)\"

Mouse

I first heard Black Light Machine on a free CD that came with Classic Rock in 2006. I listened to it and thought it was beserk, but brilliant. Really brilliant. I remember reading an article on them in said magazine where Jem had said something like they weren't going to do any more as they were all too busy. So I was sad, put them out of mind and continued living for about a year...

In 2007, my Brother (who was living in Leeds at the time) bought me tickets to see Spock's Beard as a present. I'd discovered them at the same time I'd discovered Frost* (from the same source) and was jolly excited. A short while later, I was told that they were going to be supported by a band called Frost*. "Oh, I've got a song by them! It was quite good." I chirped. I dug it out and played it again to remind myself. Cor blimey. That did the trick. Now, find them on the Internet. What else have they done...?

Then I found the Frost* Reports. And that was that. It was the episode where Jem takes on an 808 drum machine, which I reckon was a perfect starting point.  :lol:  :D

Pumpkin King

I'm pretty sure I discovered them through ProgArchives (great website to find prog music for those who don't know). I then bought Milliontown and listened to the album the whole way through. I was pretty amazed. I still remember listening to the keyboard solo in Black Light Machine over and over again. Best keyboard solo I've ever heard.

David

Quote from: "SmartUK"Fro me, it starts with the original It Bites in the late 80s/early 90s, then Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Transatlantic, new It Bites and, via John Mitchell, Frost*.  I've been a Genesis/Yes/Rush fan since the 70s, thanks to my brother playing it all at loud volume from his room!
How strange is this... almost the story of my life!  8-)

Pedro

Welcome aboard Pumpkin King!

It is great to hear all these tales.  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Tricky

I think I started a thread on this very topic back in the old forum...  :)
For me it was a guy on Amazon who had reviewed various other 'interesting' progressive bands.  His description of Milliontown led me to search on Progarchives, where I found BLM; and from there I was hooked.

The guy's name: D B Sillars.  Check out his Amazon reviews - very insightful.  Unfortunately he hasn't done any for a long while.
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...