Do I Have A Problem?

Started by Mouse, December 09, 2008, 08:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vocalnick

Quote from: "James_S"There are much more realistic ways of getting string sounds (and choirs for that matter) these days.

Its a bit like driving around in a 40 year old car, compared to the comfort of a shiny new car - I can't imagine many people would take the old one out of choice! :D

Well there are much more realistic ways of amplifying acoustic guitars so they can be heard above large ensembles these days, but some guitarists still insist on using solidbody electrics with magnetic pickups and valve amps.

Crazy luddites  :P
words that look like sound effects: twit, blog

Pajter

I've never heard of any hate for Mellotrons, before Jem Godfrey came along. Now it's like everyone hates them, just because he does. No offence.

Okay, they can be a bit too much from time to time, but come on! How can you say that they're not cool anymore because they're old? I'll tell you what else is old: Moog, Hammond, Fender Rhodes, GUITARS!

It's a vintage sound, nowhere else to be found. Where's the love? :roll:

James_S

Quote from: "vocalnick"
Quote from: "James_S"There are much more realistic ways of getting string sounds (and choirs for that matter) these days.

Its a bit like driving around in a 40 year old car, compared to the comfort of a shiny new car - I can't imagine many people would take the old one out of choice! :D

Well there are much more realistic ways of amplifying acoustic guitars so they can be heard above large ensembles these days, but some guitarists still insist on using solidbody electrics with magnetic pickups and valve amps.

Crazy luddites  :P

Thats a fair point ...

Nope, I'm not giving up my Ibanez for an acoustic ;D
So many keyboards, so little time!

Dodie

I like Mellotrons and Moogs, but then I've never had to use them. My only synth is an old Ensoniq TS-10 workstation (which I love), and I doubt I'll have enough time and justification to become polysnythous (a bit like polygamous, but its legal)

I'm very fond of original harpsichords (though its more common for baroque keyboardists to play historically informed replicas), old pipe organs that haven't been "reconditioned" (i.e. ruined), and I definitely prefer listening to string players using gut strings and baroque bows.

But I'm not a fan of lazy cliche, and I guess that's what some "reconstructionalist" modern prog can be in danger of becoming. I don't know of any of my many favourite prog bands who do 18 minute songs about hobbits in 13/8, relying on mellotron and vintage moogs and without a real song in sight. But such stereotypically naff prog traits are derided so often even in this forum that I guess such music must exist!

btw, I really like Spock's Beard "The Great Nothing", and think the opening part is fab, so what do I know...

Cheers

David

Brom

To my knowledge, Shaking Stevens never played a mellotron, but I could be wrong.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Philadelphia

I'm a big fan of the Mellotron, and while I occasionally hear songs where I think the Mellotron sounds are redundant or even overused, I think it still serves a purpose on certain types of songs. You can always add a little "spookiness" to a song with a Mellotron.
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

Mouse

Quote from: "Philadelphia"You can always add a little "spookiness" to a song with a Mellotron.

That's what attracted me to the sound in the first place. That manufactured yet quite realistic sound creates an atmosphere that I find many of today's modern sounds are too realistic sounding to achieve. It's ethereal and dare I say Gothic? Gothic in the old cathedral sense, of course.

However, my all-time favourite keyboard sound will always be the Hammond organ! See Rick Wright's playing on Echoes on David Gilmour's Live In Gdansk CD/DVD/massive box set thingie...

I'm actually quite surprised I haven't been killed to death yet! Does that mean that I'm actually part of a community?!  :shock:

johninblack

Personally I don't have a problem with mellotrons, just the way they are sometimes used and the fact that there are idiots out there who seem to think that unless a song is dripping with mellotron that it can't be prog? Those people please take note of my sig  :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Dave M

The Hammond .. now there's an instrument !
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

tomskerous

I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

leelustig

Quote from: "Mouse"I like Mellotrons. There, I said it and I do apologise. I'm preparing to run...

I love that metallic string sound - see The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway for why I think it's a beautiful sound.

However! I hate that choir voice sound - see the first few seconds of The Great Nothing by Spock's Beard for why it's an horiffic sound!

Over to you lot - do I have a problem?

(Next time: I like Emerson Lake And Palmer, do I have a problem? If you've been affected by this topic and would like to complain, please throw your burning hatred in the direction of The Mouse Hole, PO Box...)
Dude I love the old mellotron sound. Whenever I listen to the Moody Blues those strings make it what it is. It may not work as well for something with a modern production, but it would still sound really interesting.

No, you don't have a problem..

... well maybe just a little one.
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

Dave M

Quote from: "tomskerous"Never mind that, did you know...

http://tinyurl.com/5cbvvl

Tom ... as you lnow, you cant have a Hammond (or a Hampster) without one of these ...

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en ... a=N&tab=wi

:D
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

James_S

Quote from: "Dave M"
Quote from: "tomskerous"Never mind that, did you know...

http://tinyurl.com/5cbvvl

Tom ... as you lnow, you cant have a Hammond (or a Hampster) without one of these ...

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en ... a=N&tab=wi

:D

:)
So many keyboards, so little time!

RacingHippo

Ahh, top bloke.
I share a birthday with he and Mike Portnoy :)
(Well, not the same year, obviously).
* May contain nuts.

The Cosmic Lawnmower

Quote from: "Pajter"I've never heard of any hate for Mellotrons, before Jem Godfrey came along. Now it's like everyone hates them, just because he does. No offence.

Okay, they can be a bit too much from time to time, but come on! How can you say that they're not cool anymore because they're old? I'll tell you what else is old: Moog, Hammond, Fender Rhodes, GUITARS!

It's a vintage sound, nowhere else to be found. Where's the love? :roll:

What Pajter said... totally agree.

Can't beat a nice bit of 'tron.... the 'Watcher of the Skies' intro for instance absolutlely classic, eerie and menacing and brilliant!  8-)
I've always been quite a fan of Tony Bank's 'tron playing.